Dolphins interested in charles woodson? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins interested in charles woodson?

WestSideFin

Active Roster
Reaction score
Charles Woodson - DB - Free Agent
Sources tell ESPN that the Seahawks, Dolphins, Jets and Giants are among the teams that have called to discuss free agent S Charles Woodson.
Woodson's agent is trying to drum up interest for his client. At age 36, he's expected to sign on with a contender that can offer him meaningful playing time. Therefore, we can throw out the Jets and Dolphins. Woodson is our No. 6 safety available now that Jairus Byrd has been franchise tagged.
Related: Dolphins, Giants, Jets, Seahawks
Source: Josina Anderson on Twitter Mar 7 - 10:43 AM

I would love it. I don't feel like his recent injuries were 'age-related', just bad luck that could happen to anyone so the likelihood of another injury, IMO, is no worse than with any other player. If he started having age or conditioning-related injuries (like sore knees or hamstrings) then I'd feel differently. The man's football IQ is off the charts and his leadership in the secondary would greatly improve the play of the whole unit, IMO.

Believe it or not, albeit it does sound ridiculous at first, I know I reacted similarly with the "huh?" reaction, but we may potentially have 2 rookie starting CBs this year, a veteran may not be a bad idea. Especially if Clemons walks, we draft one late to develop and of course a Philbin familiarity. This can have something to it believe it or not if he doesn't generate any real competition and ends up coming at a number that say we aren't willing to pay Clemons, which there seems to be some impasse there with him not having been close to any deals or anything.

Isn't he coming off a collarbone injury that caused him to miss most of this past season? That and the fact that he'll be 37 in October has me leaning towards no. He did have a 7 interception season a couple years ago, but I'm not sure how healthy he is now.

I could see the interest if he is willing to come fairly cheap and we still planned on drafting a safety in the 1st 3 rounds. But to be honest...he will probably cost as much as Clemmons and Clemmons is the better player right now IMO.

No thanks...this team needs to invest in younger players that can all hopefully all ascend at the same time.
Thats why someone like Wallace age-wise is critical for the Dolphins to sign....

I'd be intrigued at the idea of pairing him up with Reshad Jones in the defensive backfield.

A team source tells the Miami Herald that the Dolphins have "moderate" interest in free agent S Charles Woodson.
The Dolphins have a need for a playmaker in the secondary with top corner Sean Smith and No. 1 free safety Chris Clemons both unrestricted free agents. However, Woodson likely wants to play for a contender and Miami is making a concerted effort to get younger. This doesn't look like a realistic fit for the 36-year-old future Hall of Famer.
Source: Miami Herald Mar 7 - 12:16 PM

I wouldn't waste my money on him. We need to spend what $$ we have on young guys who can help us for more than one year, he'll want too much $$.

I wouldn't waste my money on him. We need to spend what $$ we have on young guys who can help us for more than one year, he'll want too much $$.

Yes! Think long term, no big cash for stop gap old men. Good post.

Back
Top Bottom