Dolphins' Ireland likes the look of this draft class

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by FinAtic8480, Feb 24, 2011.

1. FinAtic8480

FinAtic8480 A True Fan

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

2. footsteps_falco

footsteps_falco Damn SugarBowl Finheaven VIP Donator

save you guys from clicking the ad-filled link.. here the rest

3. state06

state06 A True Fan

looks like its either Henne or a FA/Rookie. seems like Thiggy wont be getting a shot

4. PJack

PJack A True Fan

...... "right now our starter is Chad Henne" and "Right now, he's the guy on our football team that we have to be committed to because he's the only one we have right now. "

Based on these comments, if I'm Chad Henne, I would recommend he rent and not buy in South Florida...."right now" anyway. I have to believe Henne's a Phin next year, but that's hardly a vote of confidence for the long term from Ireland. He's clearly looking for a replacement. I just hope we can find that QB in the first round.

5. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

Though he may not be the starter, Henne will be back. It would be asinine to try and replace all three QBs in one off season.

6. Lord Of Miami

Lord Of Miami A True Fan

It would be odd, but they did it their first year in Miami so it's not like they have never done it before.

7. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 The D will RushYa, Like Moscow Donator

We were also 1-15 the previous year . . . a far cry from 7-9, including a blown game by the refs vs. Pittsburgh, a Thigpen display vs. the Bears . . . and 3 late season losses that had more to due with frustrations growing inside the lockerroom from the playcaller and the injuries piling up.

This team was rebuilding in 2008, it was a new regime . . . it would be real crazy to change all 3 QB's . . . especially in a potentially shortened free agency period and training camp.

8. Kdawg954

Hell before those comments I think he understands he needs to be rather special this season for him to be brought back. He isn't looking for a replacement more than he isn't putting all his eggs in one basket. If he drafts a QB and Henne lights it up this year under Daboll and a revamped offense . . . I'm sure Ireland is going to attempt to resign him. But when you only have one option at QB right now . . . you BETTER be looking for more QB's.

9. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Tyler Thigpen > Chad Henne

10. Kdawg954

No chance in hell . . . give a team a week and Thigpen is done (the Bears only needed 3 days). Even that Haine guy suprised the Packers and almost pulled off a comeback with short notice when he came in for Cutler. That Thursday night performance this year brought us back to the John Beck days and the Ray Lucas days.

The Henne hate on this board is borderline ridiculous.

11. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

He said he thinks the DL group is impressive. Of course he does as that area is his strength of evaluation. If we draft another DL in this draft I will puke. That is the one area we are loaded in.

12. j-off-her-doll

Be honest for 1 second.

Thigpen never had a chance in the game. Our O-line was in shambles, and don't say, 'The O-line was in shambles all year.' Henne had MANY clean, beautiful, pristine pockets throughout the season. As soon as Thigpen finished his drop, he had D-linemen in his face. When he did get time, he'd get the ball down the field, and Marshall would either drop the passes or commit personal fouls.

Thigpen gets the ball down the field infinitely better than Henne does, and - contrary to popular belief - he protects the ball better than Henne does.

13. Kdawg954

You mean he did a better job of defying Dan Henning more than Henne? I completely agree. Thigpen in no way, shape or form is a better thrower of the football than Chad Henne. Thigpen collapses in the face of the blitz and runs sideways, Henne will murder you on the blitz.

You don't think the coaching staff was looking for a reason to keep Thigpen in the game? He made that OLine look alot worse than what it was. Seriously they rushed Henne back for the next game . . . hell I'm sure they probably wanted to throw Chad into that game if they could. Henne a week later turned that shambles OLine into a competent group and beat up on the Raiders. I mean people get mad at others giving excuses for Henne with Dan Henning, lack of speed, etc. but for a guy in Thigpen who has won 1 game in his entire career and couldn't beat out the likes of Brodie Croyle, this guy gets unreasonable praise.

lol at he protects the ball better than Henne . . . I mean I'm all for Andrew Luck next season . . . you want a real shot at Luck? Let Thigpen start for the Dolphins this year.

Thigpen is fiery and he is a good guy to root for and all but all he is, is a backup/3rd string QB who can light a spark for a team when the QB gets hurt . . . to expect him to go into the week as the starter, giving the other team a chance to prep for him is setting him up to fail.

14. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Boy...Jeff Ireland is no longer an apprentice, he's a Sith Lord now. He's become a master of saying absolutely nothing that anyone can read into whatsoever.

15. Dogbone34

Dogbone34 cowboy surfer

jeff ireland.....smoke screener

16. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

JEFF IRELAND TRANSLATIONS

There’s a lot of good groups, obviously the defensive line group in particular is pretty strong group, that’s the one that jumps out at me.

To bad I ignored the offense for the most part and most of my
    offensive picks didn't work out so I will have to draft offense heavily

On the Dolphins’ tight end position…
    “I think we got some young players that can do those things as well. Speed at the tight end position is something we’re looking for. I like the young group we have on the team right now, so we got some good candidates to field that position as well.

No way we will draft a tight end

On the offensive line…
    Offensive line in general is something we’ve got to look at. We had some issues there this year.

Our line was terrible
    Obviously, if you know me I’m going to look at every acorn that falls off the tree.

Another season of cheap free agent cast offs from Dallas if possible

Brian’s track record for one was intriguing for us, his history with quarterbacks, his history being a defensive coach and offensive coach. Coach Sparano and myself were really impressed with the way he put a plan together for our offensive players on the football team.

He signed a cheap contract
    On if speed is a draft priority…
    Speed in general on both sides of the football are very important to me. I think we have to get better on team speed overall. So that's something we're going to be looking for.

If I want to keep my job I better draft some team/offensive speed

On QB depth…
    Well, right now our starter is Chad Henne. Obviously, he's been a player that's on our football team.

Don't buy a home in south florida Chad

On offensive linemen in the draft…
    There are several players in this draft that are very good starters at the tackle position, good guys that could be guards. The depth of this offensive line group is pretty good. I like it.

MUSICAL OFFENSIVE LINE CHAIRS PART DEUX

17. j-off-her-doll

Your dodging all sorts of facts here:

1. The Raiders D isn't in the same league as the Bears D.
    2. The O-line had a week and a half to get right between the two games. Thigpen had a 3rd string center.
    3. It's undeniable that he protects the ball better than Henne. It's a matter of record.
    4. Thigpen played better and put up better numbers on a terrible KC team than Henne ever has with decent talent surrounding him in Miami.

18. BARF

BARF ...FOR ME TO POOP ON

the only reason i would like thigs is because he extends the play with his mobility, last i checked the 2 super bowl teams had qbs like that

19. Kdawg954

So let's cut Henne and resign Thigpen and give him the reigns . . . you honestly believe Thigpen gets us a better record than Henne? Honestly?

This front office gave up a 5th rounder and is looking for a FA QB . . . I dunno, we see it differently. We are giving Thiggy a pass because he wasn't afforded Joe Berger at Center? Berger was terrible, granted we didn't give him much help to the left or right this year. The Raiders defense isn't as great as the Bears but they aren't pushovers either. You mean he put up great numbers in the weak AFC West, just like Orton, Cassel and Rivers right? That conference is known for NOT playing defense and alot of those numbers get put up in garbage time. We saw in 2008 how to defend Thigpen. He suprised us for a half . . . we made one adjustment by moving Bell up and Thiggy was toast. People can continue to lavish in his substitution appearances but when it counts the most, when he is inserted as the starter and the other team gets time to look at a little film . . . he doesn't win games. He gets careless with the ball and he is even more inconsistent than Henne. The Bears knew he wouldn't step up into the pocket and make "NFL" throws, as soon as the ball was snapped he was already moving . . . some may call that gutsy, I think that is just him showing he is not a capable starting NFL QB.

You don't have to like Henne, but he has 14 wins on his resume . . . with no speed on offense and an ancient playcaller . . . maybe he is finished, but I can't sit up here and hope to watch Thigpen spark this team on a run . . . I already know that it won't happen, I don't need to see it. I rather give Henne a shot with more speed and another playcaller.

I do like Andrew Luck, so if this regime were to go with Thigpen I would love it . . . it would mean everybody is gone and we get Luck . . . I'm hoping that is your real motivation for thinking he is better than Henne, because he isn't. Not putting Henne on a pedastool, but considering the options, he is our best one for this season . . . might as well see that thru and maybe he turns it around.