Dolphins' Ireland likes the look of this draft class | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins' Ireland likes the look of this draft class

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
INDIANAPOLIS – We take a look at the Dolphins through the words of general manager Jeff Ireland.

The Dolphins finished 7-9 last season and will have the 15th selection in the first round.

Miami had an interesting offseason, with Ireland and owner Stephen Ross talking and traveling to coaching candidates, and then giving incumbent Tony Sparano a contract extension.

Asked how his relationship is with Sparano and whether there is still some work to be done there, Ireland answered with a curt, “We have a great relationship.”

OK then. Moving on.

Here is Ireland on a few more topics, and using more than five words for answers.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

save you guys from clicking the ad-filled link.. here the rest
On Cam Newton…
Obviously you like his size. You like his arm strength. You like his ability to win ballgames late. He did all those things this year, so he’s a great player. We're going to look at him hard.”
On best groups of players here…

There’s a lot of good groups, obviously the defensive line group in particular is pretty strong group, that’s the one that jumps out at me.

On the Dolphins’ tight end position…
“I think we got some young players that can do those things as well. Speed at the tight end position is something we’re looking for. I like the young group we have on the team right now, so we got some good candidates to field that position as well.

On the offensive line…
Offensive line in general is something we’ve got to look at. We had some issues there this year. I feel we have to fine-tune some interior stuff.
On if there have been any talks with free agent Jeremy Shockey..
No talks at this point. Obviously, if you know me I’m going to look at every acorn that falls off the tree.
On new offensive coordinator Brian Daboll…
Brian’s track record for one was intriguing for us, his history with quarterbacks, his history being a defensive coach and offensive coach. Coach Sparano and myself were really impressed with the way he put a plan together for our offensive players on the football team. I wasn’t necessarily looking at what his production was with Cleveland.
I know there were some things there that were different, but we’ve got different personnel and the way he presented his play with us with our personnel was very impressive.

On if speed is a draft priority…
Speed in general on both sides of the football are very important to me. I think we have to get better on team speed overall. So that's something we're going to be looking for.

On QB depth…
Well, right now our starter is Chad Henne. Obviously, he's been a player that's on our football team. We don’t have a lot of depth right now. On one plan, we do and another plan we don’t. It depends how you look at the CBA stuff, but it’s obviously a position that we're going to look hard at. No doubt about it."

On hybrid pass rushers in this draft…
“I would say that there's quite few guys that would fall into that group of hybrid outside linebacker or hybrid pass-rusher type. It's a good group.”

On commitment to Chad Henne…
Right now, he's the guy on our football team that we have to be committed to because he's the only one we have right now. We're committed to him right now, and that's where we're at.
On worrying about the AFC East…
“We've got to worry about the Miami Dolphins, but obviously the Patriots, the Jets and the Bills would say the same thing as the Dolphins: We're obsessed with winning the division. We're obsessed with finding out how to beat our opponents. So we pay attention to them. They pay attention to us. But it's not going to dictate how we do business.”

On offensive linemen in the draft…
There are several players in this draft that are very good starters at the tackle position, good guys that could be guards. The depth of this offensive line group is pretty good. I like it.

looks like its either Henne or a FA/Rookie. seems like Thiggy wont be getting a shot

...... "right now our starter is Chad Henne" and "Right now, he's the guy on our football team that we have to be committed to because he's the only one we have right now. "

Based on these comments, if I'm Chad Henne, I would recommend he rent and not buy in South Florida...."right now" anyway. I have to believe Henne's a Phin next year, but that's hardly a vote of confidence for the long term from Ireland. He's clearly looking for a replacement. I just hope we can find that QB in the first round.

...... "right now our starter is Chad Henne" and "Right now, he's the guy on our football team that we have to be committed to because he's the only one we have right now. "

Based on these comments, if I'm Chad Henne, I would recommend he rent and not buy in South Florida...."right now" anyway. I have to believe Henne's a Phin next year, but that's hardly a vote of confidence for the long term from Ireland. He's clearly looking for a replacement. I just hope we can find that QB in the first round.
Though he may not be the starter, Henne will be back. It would be asinine to try and replace all three QBs in one off season.

Though he may not be the starter, Henne will be back. It would be asinine to try and replace all three QBs in one off season.

It would be odd, but they did it their first year in Miami so it's not like they have never done it before.

It would be odd, but they did it their first year in Miami so it's not like they have never done it before.

We were also 1-15 the previous year . . . a far cry from 7-9, including a blown game by the refs vs. Pittsburgh, a Thigpen display vs. the Bears . . . and 3 late season losses that had more to due with frustrations growing inside the lockerroom from the playcaller and the injuries piling up.

This team was rebuilding in 2008, it was a new regime . . . it would be real crazy to change all 3 QB's . . . especially in a potentially shortened free agency period and training camp.

Hell before those comments I think he understands he needs to be rather special this season for him to be brought back. He isn't looking for a replacement more than he isn't putting all his eggs in one basket. If he drafts a QB and Henne lights it up this year under Daboll and a revamped offense . . . I'm sure Ireland is going to attempt to resign him. But when you only have one option at QB right now . . . you BETTER be looking for more QB's.

Tyler Thigpen > Chad Henne

No chance in hell . . . give a team a week and Thigpen is done (the Bears only needed 3 days). Even that Haine guy suprised the Packers and almost pulled off a comeback with short notice when he came in for Cutler. That Thursday night performance this year brought us back to the John Beck days and the Ray Lucas days.

The Henne hate on this board is borderline ridiculous.

He said he thinks the DL group is impressive. Of course he does as that area is his strength of evaluation. If we draft another DL in this draft I will puke. That is the one area we are loaded in.

No chance in hell . . . give a team a week and Thigpen is done (the Bears only needed 3 days). Even that Haine guy suprised the Packers and almost pulled off a comeback with short notice when he came in for Cutler. That Thursday night performance this year brought us back to the John Beck days and the Ray Lucas days.

The Henne hate on this board is borderline ridiculous.

Be honest for 1 second.

Thigpen never had a chance in the game. Our O-line was in shambles, and don't say, 'The O-line was in shambles all year.' Henne had MANY clean, beautiful, pristine pockets throughout the season. As soon as Thigpen finished his drop, he had D-linemen in his face. When he did get time, he'd get the ball down the field, and Marshall would either drop the passes or commit personal fouls.

Thigpen gets the ball down the field infinitely better than Henne does, and - contrary to popular belief - he protects the ball better than Henne does.

Be honest for 1 second.

Thigpen never had a chance in the game. Our O-line was in shambles, and don't say, 'The O-line was in shambles all year.' Henne had MANY clean, beautiful, pristine pockets throughout the season. As soon as Thigpen finished his drop, he had D-linemen in his face. When he did get time, he'd get the ball down the field, and Marshall would either drop the passes or commit personal fouls.

Thigpen gets the ball down the field infinitely better than Henne does, and - contrary to popular belief - he protects the ball better than Henne does.

You mean he did a better job of defying Dan Henning more than Henne? I completely agree. Thigpen in no way, shape or form is a better thrower of the football than Chad Henne. Thigpen collapses in the face of the blitz and runs sideways, Henne will murder you on the blitz.

You don't think the coaching staff was looking for a reason to keep Thigpen in the game? He made that OLine look alot worse than what it was. Seriously they rushed Henne back for the next game . . . hell I'm sure they probably wanted to throw Chad into that game if they could. Henne a week later turned that shambles OLine into a competent group and beat up on the Raiders. I mean people get mad at others giving excuses for Henne with Dan Henning, lack of speed, etc. but for a guy in Thigpen who has won 1 game in his entire career and couldn't beat out the likes of Brodie Croyle, this guy gets unreasonable praise.

lol at he protects the ball better than Henne . . . I mean I'm all for Andrew Luck next season . . . you want a real shot at Luck? Let Thigpen start for the Dolphins this year.

Thigpen is fiery and he is a good guy to root for and all but all he is, is a backup/3rd string QB who can light a spark for a team when the QB gets hurt . . . to expect him to go into the week as the starter, giving the other team a chance to prep for him is setting him up to fail.

Boy...Jeff Ireland is no longer an apprentice, he's a Sith Lord now. He's become a master of saying absolutely nothing that anyone can read into whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom