Dolphins likely to use tag on Sean Smith if no long term deal.. more on long

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by shahrn, Dec 29, 2012.

1. shahrn

shahrn Active Member

per rotoworld...

sean smith will likely be tagged if he's not able to get a long term deal done.

they also said that the franchise tag is "out of the question" for long.

2. Strangeworld

Strangeworld A True Fan

bye bye Jake

3. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

Sorry to see ya go Big Jake, but you ain't worth $15 million!!! It's money that now can be used to possibly resign almost all of Miami's own F/A's.

4. Ben Had

Ben Had FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I dont think we will tag Smith.

5. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

Seriously all the negative talk about Long is crazy. I get it he isn't worth the big money but I would love to keep him if he and the Phins can work a reasonable deal. He has given us some great years. He needs to get healthy I get it. If he gets healthy he will be one of the best in the league. I know Martin can play LT but if we can keep both our line will be in good shape. Plus keeping Matin at RT will keep his price down when Miami extends him. Just some thoughts.

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Also I can live with Smith making big money. He's not top 5 at his position but we need him because he is good.

6. The Omen

The Omen Well-Known Member

IF Smith gets tagged and that's a BIG IF! I'm thinking/hopping transition not a franchise.

I really hope Long sticks around but if he want's 12 plus mill a year he can go find it elsewhere and believe me I'm a huge Jake Long Supporter. Now if he is willing to take an incentive based salary that can reach 12mill a year then I'd be for it.

Edit: Yikes, I just looked at the numbers again. if Smith is Franchised, he'll cost close 10.7mill... transition would be 8.9 mill. of course that's if he opts for justthe 1 year deal

I asked this before, can we tag a player and then latet remove it, thus opting out of the 1 year deal for that player?????

7. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Seasoned Veteran

nope you cant

8. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

10 mil for Sean Smith??? **** NO!

9. phinfanNY08

phinfanNY08 Starter

I would prefer to tag Long or Bush, pretty sure Sean Smith won't go anywhere, his numbers does not deserve 10 million a year, more like 2-3 mil at the most

10. Oraclepz

Oraclepz Seasoned Veteran

No way we tag smith... The tag is for jake.. He's proven to be the best when healthy Sean is just a solid cb. If we let long go for nothing I would be furious!!!! Trading him I can take but not letting him go for free

11. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

is that what the tag is for CB's? I dont know what would be worse, paying Long 15 on the franchise tag or paying Smith 10. I hope Ireland doesnt squander all this salary cap cash!

12. phinking

phinking A True Fan

I've always thought Jeff Ireland was a knucklehead. But if he tags Sean Smith, then he totally incompetent.

13. TheJetsBlow

TheJetsBlow A True Fan

Good. Adios Jake.

14. Aqua and Orange

Aqua and Orange Poster With A Porpoise Finheaven VIP Donator

If the Dolphins tag Sean Smith I will projectile vomit all over Ireland's head (and I was all for the team tagging Soliai when they did it). Sean Smith is a #2 cb at best, though he trash talks like a #1. We need less bark and more bite in the secondary, and a few interceptions from anyone not named Reshad Jones would be nice too.

15. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

We don't have to use our tag on anyone I see...No one will be in high demand that's a free agent.

16. 3rdandinches

3rdandinches Seasoned Veteran

Somebody please go hide the TAGS so nobody is tempted to tag either Long or Smith. Both should be re-signed for less than half of their tag amount or let go, period!

17. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 A True Fan

Are you serious? I guarantee you, Sean Smith can pull 6-8 million a year. I hope he signs 4 years 24 with us, but he might be able to get more elsewhere.

18. Slim

Slim VIPeezy

Laughable.

If our front office pays that lame-excuse for a CB Sean Smith 10M+ next season, then Jeff Ireland should be fired on the spot.

19. The Omen

Ireland is in a tough spot. we don't tag him, he risk losing him for nothing... we tag him, can't find a a trading partner or work a long term deal, we are on the hook for 15milit's going to be interesting

20. The Omen

Transition tag is the average of the top 10 CB's in the leage salary which is currently 8.9 mil a year... I wouldn't put Smith in that class... I would agree with you on him being worth 5-6 mil though.

21. SR 7

SR 7 A True Fan

Tagging Smith should automatically do the following:

1) show us the horrible offseason we are going to encounter again due to Fireland
    2) embarrassment to man kind
    3) WTF has he done to warrant taht much $???
    4) Fireland is securing a spot to get fired next year unless he still has more dirt on Ross.

Long, what a great pick. Using a 1st OVERAL pick in the draft on a player you dont care or need to resign. Great move fraud-cells.

22. Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious Starter

Smith and his career 6 INT's is not worth a tag. You can bring him back, but only at a reasonable deal for an average number 2 corner.

23. phinfan13

phinfan13 A True Fan

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Smith is a #2 corner at best; I see him more as a #3. This is something I fear going into the off-season with Ireland in charge, that he will use our 50+ million in cap space by overpaying second-rate players, acorns, and scrubs.

24. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

wasted money… but hey, that's the Ireland mantra… fiscal cliff here we come!

25. SuperMarksBros.

SuperMarksBros. Formerly Fiedler for MVP

Smith is terrible. At least Long has proven to be good when healthy.

26. Kevlared

Kevlared Well-Known Member

the franchise tag...on sean smith. i think that would be a new low honestly. franchising a below average DB is horrible

27. mrhankey81701

mrhankey81701 A True Fan

Is Sean Smith and our secondary really that bad? We are #9 in the NFL in completion % against at 58.7% putting us right next to Seattle and Denver. We are tied for #5 in the NFL with Chicago and Cincy for TD passes allowed at 16. We do allow the 8th most passing yards per game in the NFL at 246.5 YPG but we are targetted on average 37.6x a game which is 6th highest in the NFL.

The secondary isn't as bad as everyone seems to think it is, we are a classic bend don't break defense. If Sean Smith is allowed to walk it would create a gaping hole at CB. CB is not one of those positions that rookies normally come in and blow the roof off the league. It took Patrick Peterson a year to get settled in Arizona, it took Darrelle Revis 2 years in NY. If we let Sean Smith go it would create an unnecessary hole.

28. Strangeworld

Strangeworld A True Fan

LOL... this is typical Ireland.

ZERO foresight and painted into a corner.

29. Fin_Frenzy_84

Fin_Frenzy_84 Starter

I really hope we don't tag Smith.. 10 million!

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

IMO the only time you should use the Tag is if you are already a contending team or its a player that is making the pro bowl every year. Smith is not the player to tag at all!

30. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Donator

LOL! No actual move has been made and some are already bashing the GM on what they think he will do based on a media article...

31. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

I 100% support tagging Smith.

32. Strangeworld

Strangeworld A True Fan

You're right... Ireland has shown us nothing but shrewd moves and foresight since he's been here.

Newflash - We are about to endure a F O U R T H straight losing season and you are defending this guy?

33. madmic21

madmic21 A True Fan

I have no problem with franchising Smith. Another year to learn under Croyle and gives us the option to position ourselves to continue to grow the secondary through the draft and other possible FA without hindering our cap after next year or completely dismantling a fairly competent DB core. 1 key to this franchise getting better and remaining in the mix for years to come is not imploding this cap space in 1 offseason. Players are not fond of the tag because it takes away for them to get much more substantial guaranteed money and gives the team options for upcoming years. Smith is not as bad as most make him to be in this forum. Typical talk of fans in regards to their fave team in a position that gets criticized unfairly. I have seem several good DBs get blasted by donks fans here in CO. This offseason is important for next year but how we handle it should also be a reflection of many offseasons to come. Good franchises understand the importance of 3-4 years down the line as much as the next year.

34. J Tes

J Tes next generation

How is he defending Ireland? He's laughing at you for getting worked up over something that hasn't happened. Just something suggested in an article

35. The Omen

jumping to conclusions two times in a a row... we win, we'll be 8-8... not a winning or losing season

One thing is for sure though, we will finishg with a better record than last year, all with a rookie HC and QB to boot. Roughly 50 mil in cap space before cut and restructures, 5 picks in the first 96 picks in the draft... No matter how you slice or dice it, it's progress, so what's your beef?

36. Buddy

Buddy Right Wing Nut Job Moderator Finheaven VIP

I think this is typical media BS as Ireland is frugal if nothing else. There is no way that Sean Smith is worth anywhere near franchise tag money, even for one year. For that much money, throw it at the best FA CB on the market. Whomever that is, it is certainly not Smith!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

37. madmic21

madmic21 A True Fan

I mean if people are willing to sign the guy for four years at 5-6 mil per I can't think why a 1 year shot at 10 million and extended flexibility would be an issue. If he shows promise you can move forward with the guy if not you are not stuck for 3 more years. Plus you will get a guarantee best effort with a 1 year deal. Multi year deals can often promote a player to lose their drive.

38. Rocket2981

Rocket2981 Rookie Finheaven VIP

Some of you are delusional if you think Smith will not command big FA money. We absolutely have to tag him if he doesn't sign a long term deal because we are already extra-thin at CB, imagine if we lose Smith we'll need a minimum of 3 new CB via either draft or FA including 2 starters. That's way too risky and THAT'S painting yourself in a corner. I perfectly understand that Smith is not a top-5 player at his position but we are in uber-trouble if we lose him...

39. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan Perennial All-Pro

We need to keep long even though Martin has played well at LT his rookie season I would like to have one of the better OT combos in the NFL

40. madmic21

madmic21 A True Fan

Rocket you are right, the guy will get paid a lot more than anyone of these SS haters can imagine. And when we are stuck in limbo next year at DB it will be all Ireland's fault because he did not improve the position even though a tag type move would have kept the core in place and provided time and options going forward.

41. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

from a buried thread... http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?331756-NFL-Franchise-Tags-and-the-Miami-Dolphins

42. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Yep, people are all hot and horny to see the new and improved Ireland in 2013 but he's already off to a horrible start by mishandling Long, Smith and Hartline.

43. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

hello early ol draft pick

44. 3rdandinches

3rdandinches Seasoned Veteran

hahahahahahahaha

Love it! Nothings happened so he's mis-handled it, lol. Just right it out in 1million font on every post; you hate Ireland we get it.

45. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

You act like thats a new thing lol

46. The Omen

Ireland hasn't made one move yet in regards to the aboved mentioned.. So how exactly has he mishandled them? or is it because he hasn't made a move yet the mishandeling?

47. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

As much as I think Ireland should be fired , I dont get your logic here.

48. finfan54

cus he is absolutely worth 9mil?

this is what i dont get out of people. say bye bye jake but smith should get top dollar.inconsistant.

i would offer him 4-5mil/year.you dont like it? good luck to you son. go get another cb or two in draft

49. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Seasoned Veteran

You don't sign a guy to $10,000,000 a year to play RT. There are much better options for the money in free agency

50. finfan54

well if we get two more to with pouncey and martin, i have no problem with it. WR will come rd3