Dolphins looked better without Mike Pouncey | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins looked better without Mike Pouncey

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
082516-spt-dolphins-034.jpg

Pouncey left the field with under a minute to play in the first quarter and was ruled out for the second half. The Dolphins anemic offense was set up for more dismal play in the second half as Pouncey is by far the best offensive lineman that Miami has on the roster. Or is he?
The Dolphins came out on fire for the second half scoring on every possession except the final drive when they took a knee. The Dolphins opened the second half with two touchdowns and two field goals while the defense took Atlanta to school. What was said or what adjustments were made in the locker room is unknown but Jake Brendel made the most of his time on the field.
https://phinphanatic.com/2017/10/16/dolphins-looked-better-without-mike-pouncey/

Brendel played very well. Except for a couple of mishaps, he helped the o-line in getting stable which allowed the offense to get more flow. I think he’s got potential. With an uncertain future for Pouncey, it be nice to feel comfortable his replacement is already on the roster.

Brendel had some issues which should be expected for a guy playing in only his fifth NFL game, but overall he did an excellent job. He got manhandled a couple of times, but Ajayi had some runs up the gut where he just blanketed his man. I'm excited to see his progression throughout the season. If/when Pouncey comes back it won't be for long as we know.

I like Mike Pouncey, but the guy is injury prone. He can’t seem to make it through a full season without some kind of injury. I think it’s time to part ways.

He's been getting plenty of reps during the week with Pouncey getting every other day off. Still developing I think. Definitely needs to continue to improve his strength but we should find out if he's Pouncey's replacement or if they need to spend a draft pick on a Center in the coming weeks. I don't know how many concussions Pouncey has had but my guess is he won't play this week and it's a tough week against the Jets. Pouncey got manhandled up front up in New York against the Jets...we'll see how Brendel does.

This isn't the first time Pouncey has gone out with injury and the offense (or the offensive line) has started playing better. Although maybe it's just a matter of us changing our gameplan and the defenses not adjusting, because if I remember right the offense has also looked better several times when he came back due to a much more effective run game for a short while. I still don't see how he was ever worth top center in the NFL money though.

If Brendel continues to play well and the line is night and day better on Sunday than they were against the same team back in week 3........do you sit Pouncey when he's cleared?

Pouncey is still a good player but he clearly doesn't have a future with this team.

If Brendel continues to play well and the line is night and day better on Sunday than they were against the same team back in week 3........do you sit Pouncey when he's cleared?

Pouncey is still a good player but he clearly doesn't have a future with this team.
Knowing Gase...that will never happen. If Pouncey is available Gase will start him.

This isn't the first time Pouncey has gone out with injury and the offense (or the offensive line) has started playing better. Although maybe it's just a matter of us changing our gameplan and the defenses not adjusting, because if I remember right the offense has also looked better several times when he came back due to a much more effective run game for a short while. I still don't see how he was ever worth top center in the NFL money though.
This is what I'm worried about. Three coaching staffs have been in love w Pouncey - there must be a reason. Other guys have come in like Samson Satele part II and Kraig Urbick and looked good for short stretches but were not able to provide the consistency (apparently) to give the coaches the confidence to say "we can move on from Mike". Brendel is still developing so it would be real surprise if we are truly better off with him in there at this stage.

Back
Top Bottom