Dolphins Looking For New Grant Plan

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, May 13, 2017.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

Grant was one of the players I was excited about when we drafted him. Last year, when he had trouble fielding the ball and really could not get going in the return game, so I got discouraged. Hopefully, after having a season under his belt, work during the offseason, and more comfortability with the Pro game, he will be able to improve. Because he has the one thing you can not teach - speed.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...ant-Plan/250d7cb5-bdef-4ae6-9d87-cbb2373ee647

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2017
    Digital and MDFINFAN like this.
  2. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

If Grant is as good of a slot weapon as some of us think he could be, a receiving depth chart of Parker, Stills and Landry with Carroo, Ford and Grant could be fun to watch in a few months. And that's not even considering the other youngsters Scott, Stringfellow, Owusu, Lewis and Morgan. When it comes time to play Receiver Survivor it will be interesting to see who is release first and if any of the bottom five can beat out the top six. I'm thinking Lewis or Morgan goes off the board first, but battle in the bottom five for 1 or 2 possible practice squad spots could be tight.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  3. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos

He could/should be LETHAL in year 2.

4. Digital

Digital Starter

Grant went against the Bills 1st round pick, Tredavious White of LSU, during Grant's senior year ... and Grant just destroyed him. As White said ... if you can't get your hands on him, it's over. I think some people on this site have significantly underestimated Grant's skillset ... it is not consistently good, it is sporadically gamechanging.

5. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Unless he fumbles it....

6. Digital

Digital Starter

So help me out here. I definitely saw the fumbles attempting to field punts and kickoffs ... the two most challenging catching activities. But do you really think that after he has possession of the ball Grant is a big fumbler? Because that's not something I've seen. His only issues to me seem to be the act of catching ... not the act of losing the ball while running. I'm not saying he doesn't fumble ... all ball carriers do, regardless of whether they are RB's, TE's or WR's. But I don't really see a high incidence of fumbling after the catch with Grant. Please point that out if I'm missing something.

To me, it's about his hands catching the ball in punts, kicks and as a WR. That's what I said when we drafted him, and that's how I continue to see it now. I stated that if he can be sure-handed fielding punts in the pre-season, he would make this team. He was, and he did. I think moving forward he will need to re-prove that ability, but if he can, the staff is committed to giving him a shot in the run of play. He has the speed to spell Stills as our safety-threatening deep threat outside. He has the quicker-than-a-hiccup change of direction that nobody else currently in the NFL can match. If Gase can get him the ball in space, something Gase is very good at doing, then Grant can have some truly gamechanging plays. He may get stopped for a loss or minimal gain two or three times, then break off a chunk 40 yard play that completely changes the momentum of the game. He may get jammed half the time and taken out of the play, but if that safety cheats up toward the box or to the opposite side of the field, eventually Grant will have a TD over the top. His movement skills are simply unmatched in the NFL today.

If he had Jarvis Landry's hands and Julio Jones' size, he would be an All-Pro and may have been a top 5 pick. But he doesn't, so these flaws require him to work hard to minimize and Gase to scheme around. But guys with Barry Sanders-esque start-stop ability are exceedingly rare. Guys with his speed are exceedingly rare. Get the good out of this guy and he will become a phenomenal offensive weapon. IMHO, that's worth putting in the time to develop and see if we can do it.

finitis23, Goin` Deep and MDFINFAN like this.
  7. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP

It's overblown @Digital, he only struggles with punts

Digital likes this.
  8. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

Redeem Jakeem...more cowbell.

Buddy, MDFINFAN and Digital like this.
  9. Digital

Digital Starter

That's how I saw it too. Glad to see we agree.

nick1 likes this.
  10. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

They should have drawn up a few plays for him last season
    19 offensive snaps for someone with 90 receptions in his last year in college
    is a problem. We cant continue to give the big 3 ALL/MOST THE SNAPS
    Get other people like Carroo and Grant involved in the offense

kcbrown and Pandarilla like this.
  11. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

He can be a lethal weapon. Get him in space and it's over for any defender.

12. BlueUndertow

BlueUndertow Well-Known Member

Way to take responsibility Clyde:

13. Gsmack_42

Gsmack_42 Well-Known Member

I can say one thing. A lot of people on here say, if we cut him he will go to the Pats and kill us. Grant is the one I think would kill us if he got to New England. In the open field he is the only guy that ever reminded me of Berry Sanders. Some of the moves this kid makes, you have to think the defender just looks around thinking WTF just happened there.

Pandarilla likes this.
  14. NoblePhin

NoblePhin Starter Donator

His skewed perception is due to the returns position we put him in, something he wasn't used to. We need to play him more at WR because that's what he's truly good at. We almost have too many options on offense now, in which Gases admitted to almost forgetting about Grant and Carroo.

15. TheWozz

TheWozz FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Obviously small sample size, but he was thrown one pass as far as I recall. He dropped it.

Would love for him to develop and become a threat on ST and as a specialized offensive player. However, I dont have the confidence that I would not put money on it.

16. TeeMoney

TeeMoney Penny Wise and Dollar Dumb Finheaven VIP

We don't see whether he screws up in practice or in the classroom with the team. He has a special talent and the attitude to go with it, not sure he has the smarts. It clicks with him this offseason/training camp or he's gone (and the Patriots don't like dumb players for you Pats lovers "oh god, all these crap players turn to rainbow sherbet when Belichek touches them - he's got the unicorn touch")

17. PSU Cane

PSU Cane Starter

You don't keep guys because of what they may/may not do on other teams. You keep guys that fit your system and offer you the best chance to win. If you keep him, you better use him....and i don't mean on the outside. He is not a Stills replacement on the outside. Stills is much taller with a large catch radius, something you need when throwing deep.

Grant has electric speed and moves - nobody will deny that. But the guy has a history of drops at Texas Tech (i think 23 in 3 years) and showed similar issues in Miami year 1. Also, he may be fast, but he was not a good route runner in college in that gimmick offense and that could be holding him back now. It was also surprising to see his 3-cone to be so poor with his size and speed (27 WRs this year alone were faster, although his shuttle would have been top 5), which could feed into his trouble route issues, gearing down in/out of breaks and not being crisp. Guys his size need to be precise and get huge separation since his catch radius and room for error is incredibly small.....there is a reason why guys his size are not littered all around the NFL.

Christensen can say all he wants about it being the responsibility of the coaches to get the most out of him but Grant needs to step up and show he can make the most of his opportunities when he gets them, or else he may find himself on the cut list this year.

Sons Of Shula and NBP81 like this.
  18. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

This guy will get his chances this year. I'd suspect that his off season work will help him and I'd like to see him make a jump to a good "gimmick" player.

I'm not sure he'll be like Hill in KC but I'd like it if he was. It would open up a lot in the offense.

19. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Worth posting pretty much every time Jakeem Grant is brought up.

20. ckparrothead

The reason that LSU tape is so relevant is it's chalk full of NFL players, good ones who are high picks and/or play a lot. And Grant really whips them all.

Also a nice instance of him going up against Derrick Kindred in the open field here:

Kindred was a 4th round pick and played over 500 snaps as a rookie. He was one of my big sleepers last year where everyone else was asleep on him and had him as barely a 7th rounder, but he screamed that he had an NFL skill set. Not on this play though, lol.

dolfan_101 likes this.
  21. ckparrothead

If I had to say what Jakeem Grant's biggest problems are, biggest obstacles, his hands would have to be one of them, to be fair. He did drop balls in college and he dropped some in training camp. He had a habit of muffing punts and kickoffs, though that's a bit of a separate skill set. He just needs to clean it up some more. It's just amazing to me the extent to which this gets exaggerated, and the total lack of patience as if this is something that will never ever improve to any degree. Come on.

Second biggest obstacle is really I get the feeling he didn't do a great job learning the offense last year, learning the playbook. That's not talked about as much, and I see a lot of people ignoring this one in favor of ghost criticisms. But I get the feeling this was really at the center of his lack of usage in 2016. So it's something he needs to improve on a whole lot.

dolfan_101 and Pandarilla like this.
  22. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Finheaven VIP

That tape really says it all. You have a kid with almost unlimited explosiveness who tends to try and catch some balls with his body and that leads to drops. If you can the Rock into his hands his potential to score on almost every play is there. You can break a kid of catching with their body and hopefully Grant has been working on his hands all off season.

I love the kid's potential and what he brings to the team. I know I'm rooting for him as my favorite underdog.

23. malzj

malzj Seasoned Veteran

If he doesn't become reliable early in the year you cut him loose. We have many weapons that if he's not reliable he does more harm than good to the offense.

24. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

One of the few players I'm not sure the coaching staff used the right way. Grant honestly needs to be in the game as a receiving threat. Players like him, IMO never go from the shaky PR he currently is to something stellar. They will always scare you do death thinking they are going to muff the ball.

He should be used similar to Hill in KC.

MDFINFAN likes this.
  25. MDFINFAN

MDFINFAN Reach for the Stars Super Donator Donator

I just hope he doesn't over think it again. The first drop punt last year was his downfall. He lowered his head and ever completely recovered. But when he does catch the ball, he has me standing on edge, because he can score at any time. I would to see him get more attempts on offense. Again, I didn't expect much from him last year as a rookie. But I think the coaches may now have a little more trust to give him more attempts, not a lot, but I do think they increase his work load.

26. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

What a perfect video to sum up exactly what you should and shouldn't do with the guy. What he can and cannot do..I'm not sure how much of those bubble type screens you can accomplish at the NFL level.