Dolphins Looking For New Grant Plan | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Looking For New Grant Plan

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Grant was one of the players I was excited about when we drafted him. Last year, when he had trouble fielding the ball and really could not get going in the return game, so I got discouraged. Hopefully, after having a season under his belt, work during the offseason, and more comfortability with the Pro game, he will be able to improve. Because he has the one thing you can not teach - speed.

Offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen said during the rookie minicamp that Grant should play a bigger role on offense in 2017 and it’s up to the offensive coaches to figure out how to get the most out of him.

“I think he is going to be a gimmick guy,” Christensen said.
http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/a...ant-Plan/250d7cb5-bdef-4ae6-9d87-cbb2373ee647

Last edited by a moderator:
If Grant is as good of a slot weapon as some of us think he could be, a receiving depth chart of Parker, Stills and Landry with Carroo, Ford and Grant could be fun to watch in a few months. And that's not even considering the other youngsters Scott, Stringfellow, Owusu, Lewis and Morgan. When it comes time to play Receiver Survivor it will be interesting to see who is release first and if any of the bottom five can beat out the top six. I'm thinking Lewis or Morgan goes off the board first, but battle in the bottom five for 1 or 2 possible practice squad spots could be tight.

Last edited:
Grant went against the Bills 1st round pick, Tredavious White of LSU, during Grant's senior year ... and Grant just destroyed him. As White said ... if you can't get your hands on him, it's over. I think some people on this site have significantly underestimated Grant's skillset ... it is not consistently good, it is sporadically gamechanging.

Grant went against the Bills 1st round pick, Tredavious White of LSU, during Grant's senior year ... and Grant just destroyed him. As White said ... if you can't get your hands on him, it's over. I think some people on this site have significantly underestimated Grant's skillset ... it is not consistently good, it is sporadically gamechanging.

Unless he fumbles it....

So help me out here. I definitely saw the fumbles attempting to field punts and kickoffs ... the two most challenging catching activities. But do you really think that after he has possession of the ball Grant is a big fumbler? Because that's not something I've seen. His only issues to me seem to be the act of catching ... not the act of losing the ball while running. I'm not saying he doesn't fumble ... all ball carriers do, regardless of whether they are RB's, TE's or WR's. But I don't really see a high incidence of fumbling after the catch with Grant. Please point that out if I'm missing something.

To me, it's about his hands catching the ball in punts, kicks and as a WR. That's what I said when we drafted him, and that's how I continue to see it now. I stated that if he can be sure-handed fielding punts in the pre-season, he would make this team. He was, and he did. I think moving forward he will need to re-prove that ability, but if he can, the staff is committed to giving him a shot in the run of play. He has the speed to spell Stills as our safety-threatening deep threat outside. He has the quicker-than-a-hiccup change of direction that nobody else currently in the NFL can match. If Gase can get him the ball in space, something Gase is very good at doing, then Grant can have some truly gamechanging plays. He may get stopped for a loss or minimal gain two or three times, then break off a chunk 40 yard play that completely changes the momentum of the game. He may get jammed half the time and taken out of the play, but if that safety cheats up toward the box or to the opposite side of the field, eventually Grant will have a TD over the top. His movement skills are simply unmatched in the NFL today.

If he had Jarvis Landry's hands and Julio Jones' size, he would be an All-Pro and may have been a top 5 pick. But he doesn't, so these flaws require him to work hard to minimize and Gase to scheme around. But guys with Barry Sanders-esque start-stop ability are exceedingly rare. Guys with his speed are exceedingly rare. Get the good out of this guy and he will become a phenomenal offensive weapon. IMHO, that's worth putting in the time to develop and see if we can do it.

They should have drawn up a few plays for him last season
19 offensive snaps for someone with 90 receptions in his last year in college
is a problem. We cant continue to give the big 3 ALL/MOST THE SNAPS
Get other people like Carroo and Grant involved in the offense

Way to take responsibility Clyde:

Offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen said during the rookie minicamp that Grant should play a bigger role on offense in 2017 and it’s up to the offensive coaches to figure out how to get the most out of him.

I can say one thing. A lot of people on here say, if we cut him he will go to the Pats and kill us. Grant is the one I think would kill us if he got to New England. In the open field he is the only guy that ever reminded me of Berry Sanders. Some of the moves this kid makes, you have to think the defender just looks around thinking WTF just happened there.

His skewed perception is due to the returns position we put him in, something he wasn't used to. We need to play him more at WR because that's what he's truly good at. We almost have too many options on offense now, in which Gases admitted to almost forgetting about Grant and Carroo.

Obviously small sample size, but he was thrown one pass as far as I recall. He dropped it.

Would love for him to develop and become a threat on ST and as a specialized offensive player. However, I dont have the confidence that I would not put money on it.

Back
Top Bottom