Dolphins looking to trade up in the Draft? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins looking to trade up in the Draft?

Trading up and selecting an offensive lineman would just prove that Ireland has learned nothing from past mistakes. I hope they stay put or trade down. In the first 3 rounds I hope we see CB x 2, DE, WR and TE. Then in round 4 take an athletic OT that fits your scheme.

I'm no draftnik, but when we took Long we didn't have a starting QB in place. I'm not giddy about possibly drafting a LT with our #1 pick, but I don't think its fair to label it or imply a move like this an ignorant move. You can say taking Long (LT) before we had a starting QB in place was a bad move. But that's not the situation this time around.

What I don't get is how so many ppl say just get a starting LT in round 3, 4 or 5. I mean, is it really that easy to find a talent like that in those rounds?

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Only thing worse then repeating the same mistakes over and over again is fans cheering it on as it happens.

Want to get some help for Tannehill? How about give him another scoring threat. How about getting a pass rusher or corner to shut down the other team so Tannehill doesnt have to get into shooting matches.

I thought we had our left tackle. Wasnt the majority of the board praising Ireland for his astute foresight concerning Martin? That "he was our insurance if Long left" and that we should "just ignore Ireland saying he drafted Martin to be a right tackle"? Well, game time folks. Long is gone. And if Ireland truly did draft Martin to be insurance for Long, then why is everyone hoping we spend a top 12 pick on a right tackle?

Stop spending playmaker picks on offensive lineman. Get players who can either score or prevent the other team from scoring. The "building through the trenches" logic failed us. We have first hand experience on how it doesnt work. Get your heads in the game people.

I don't disagree with your main point, however it's not the same situation as when we took Long. We actually have a starting QB in place this time around.

Finheaven is the only place that consistently wants the flashy or big name Wr under any circumstances. Even when we already have 6 WR.

Didn't the Fins just pay millions of dollars for impact players? Now, its time to find a formula to protect the franchise QB and allow those weapons to operate.

They paid millions for one impact player. Wallace is really the only playmaker that they signed. Keller (if he can stay healthy) will be an improvement in the passing game over Fasano but he's only signed to a one year deal. They still need an all around Tight End who is a threat in the passing game and who can also block. Ellerbe and Wheeler may have a bigger impact than Dansby and Burnett but that is not a given. Gibson is not an impact player if you are looking for a true playmaker. One who can take a short pass and score, or burn a DB deep on a consistant basis. Gibson is at best depth and is just another guy who can move the chains.

There is still not one legit starting CB on the team. Other than Wake there is no other legit pass rusher on the team. There is not one complete TE on the team. There is only one proven playmaker on offense and that is Wallace. Those are positions that I would take before I would consider taking an offensive tackle. They drafted Martin with a high 2nd round pick last year, he needs time to develope and has a chance to be a solid starting tackle. Eric Winston is still sitting out there and could be the solution at Right Tackle until a guy that they draft this year is ready to step in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finheaven is the only place that consistently wants the flashy or big name Wr under any circumstances. Even when we already have 6 WR.

Only one of them is considered a true playmaker. Hartline is a solid receiver but how many times is he going to beat his man deep and score? How many times is Hartline going to catch a short pass and take it to the house? Same thing goes with Bess and Gibson? Lamar Miller is still unproven. People must be content with mediocrity I guess. If you want to hang with the big boys and contend for a Championship you need more playmakers.

I'm no draftnik, but when we took Long we didn't have a starting QB in place. I'm not giddy about possibly drafting a LT with our #1 pick, but I don't think its fair to label it or imply a move like this an ignorant move. You can say taking Long (LT) before we had a starting QB in place was a bad move. But that's not the situation this time around.

What I don't get is how so many ppl say just get a starting LT in round 3, 4 or 5. I mean, is it really that easy to find a talent like that in those rounds?

You don't take a Tackle when you still have holes at CB, DE, TE, & WR. There are plenty of other teams that find solid starting tackles in the mid rounds so why can't the Dolphins? If our team was a Left Tackle away from competing for a championship then fine, but there are still plenty of holes on this team at the skill positions.

I don't understand how you couldn't understand it.

Didn't Miami just get rid of "the best left tackle in the league" because they didn't want to pay him? They didn't want to pay him because all they did was lose with him no matter good he was.

It's not going to matter how good Lane Johnson is either, because he's not going to have the impact. It'll be the same thing over again that you saw with Jake Long..... threads arguing about how he was the right pick because he's going to the pro-bowl, meanwhile the team loses because they passed up players who have more impact that are contributing to their team's wins elsewhere.

Miami still hasn't figured out that you develope talent along the offensive line, and spend your high draft picks on elite skill position talent that impacts games. You can't develope slow, unathletic, or non-instinctive skill position players into difference makers. You can't get blood from a turnip.

If they trade up, it has to be for an impact player at a skill position. Otherwise, it's a mistake just like it always is.

I don't even have to argue this case. Miami makes it for me every year. You're mashed over the head with it constantly when you watch this team. Watch Atlanta, pay attention to their drafts, and stop ignoring the difference.

/thread.

I don't understand how you couldn't understand it.

Didn't Miami just get rid of "the best left tackle in the league" because they didn't want to pay him? They didn't want to pay him because all they did was lose with him no matter good he was.

It's not going to matter how good Lane Johnson is either, because he's not going to have the impact. It'll be the same thing over again that you saw with Jake Long..... threads arguing about how he was the right pick because he's going to the pro-bowl, meanwhile the team loses because they passed up players who have more impact that are contributing to their team's wins elsewhere.

Miami still hasn't figured out that you develope talent along the offensive line, and spend your high draft picks on elite skill position talent that impacts games. You can't develope slow, unathletic, or non-instinctive skill position players into difference makers. You can't get blood from a turnip.

If they trade up, it has to be for an impact player at a skill position. Otherwise, it's a mistake just like it always is.

I don't even have to argue this case. Miami makes it for me every year. You're mashed over the head with it constantly when you watch this team. Watch Atlanta, pay attention to their drafts, and stop ignoring the difference.

wait a minute slimm...miami has never been able to win cause they've never had a qb that they could really win with...heck you said it yourself that til miami got a pair and took a qb with it's top pick and stopped trying to fill the position with lesser prospects we would always be in the same predicament...and you beat it down this boards and the other board we use to frequents throat and you were spot on...took me a long time to get it cause i was always in bpa mode and didn't want to overdraft a qb but you were spot on...and miami finally did just that last year...

and we are much better off for it...now and in the future...but now you don't think investing a top pick in a left tackle that you'll have for the next 5 years at dirt cheap money under this new cba is a wise investment??? i don't get...what happened to sticking with your board??? to me a reach would be taking another position of need on a prospect you don't have the same grade on...and i know you have lane johnson like me as the top tackle in this class and i can only assume that comes with a top 10 grade...

as for atlanta ok they took matt ryan at #3 and then in the same draft traded up in round 1 for left tackle sam baker...so i'm a little confused why if we are to model the falcons as you say it's good for them but not for miami...

not really...new england doesn't model that...and they're success under brady blows the doors off the falcons...they win year in and year out because of the qb...replace one undrafted slot wr with another one...top 50 pick ots on both sides...2nd and 4th round te's...whens the last time new england used a 1st round pick on a wr???

wait a minute slimm...miami has never been able to win cause they've never had a qb that they could really win with...heck you said it yourself that til miami got a pair and took a qb with it's top pick and stopped trying to fill the position with lesser prospects we would always be in the same predicament...and you beat it down this boards and the other board we use to frequents throat and you were spot on...took me a long time to get it cause i was always in bpa mode and didn't want to overdraft a qb but you were spot on...and miami finally did just that last year...

and we are much better off for it...now and in the future...but now you don't think investing a top pick in a left tackle that you'll have for the next 5 years at dirt cheap money under this new cba is a wise investment??? i don't get...what happened to sticking with your board??? to me a reach would be taking another position of need on a prospect you don't have the same grade on...and i know you have lane johnson like me as the top tackle in this class and i can only assume that comes with a top 10 grade...

as for atlanta ok they took matt ryan at #3 and then in the same draft traded up in round 1 for left tackle sam baker...so i'm a little confused why if we are to model the falcons as you say it's good for them but not for miami...

How many top 10-15 picks does Atlanta have invested in their offensive line? They don't pick in the top 10-15 because they understand how to build a team that competes. However, when they trade up into the top 10, it's for an impact player (Julio Jones).

You're going to pass up players that have a bigger impact if you select one of these offensive lineman. A pass rusher, CB, or elite offensive skill position player is going to have a bigger impact.

Reaching for a pass rusher is always better than settling for the "safe" route and taking a tackle that high simply because of the impact he has. Remember last year when you kept insisting that Bruce Irvin was a 2nd round pick, and I kept telling you that he won't make it out of the 1st round? It's because pass rushers are that valuable in the NFL now. Bruce Irvin had more impact last year as a situational pass rusher for Seattle than Jake Long or Joe Thomas has ever had for their teams.

The impact that players like Pierre-Paul, Gronkowski, Julio Jones, Bruce Irvin, and Aldon Smith have on their teams is incomparable to the impact than an elite left tackle has. Again, it doesn't matter how good the left tackle is.

Go get the Tank Carradine, Tyler Eifert, or Tavon Austin so you can actually make a choice that will impact your football team. If you're going to trade up, trade up for Dee Milliner.

Place the emphasis on athletic, intelligent offensive lineman that can move, and fit your system at various points throughout the draft to develope. It's full of 'em.

not really...new england doesn't model that...and they're success under brady blows the doors off the falcons...they win year in and year out because of the qb...replace one undrafted slot wr with another one...top 50 pick ots on both sides...2nd and 4th round te's...whens the last time new england used a 1st round pick on a wr???

They have so many picks it's somewhat different, plus they're not picking @ #12, either.

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

FWIW, this could very well be a smokescreen we're putting out to worry San Diego into trading up to take one of the OTs. That would make it less likely that somebody trades in front of us to take someone.

This^^

When's the last time ANY great team took a receiver with their 1st pick???

These top teams usually take the best D-lineman available. Defense wins championships. Slot receivers and guards/tackles can be had in later rounds. Pass rushers are where the value is in the first round.

How many top 10-15 picks does Atlanta have invested in their offensive line? They don't pick in the top 10-15 because they understand how to build a team that competes. However, when they trade up into the top 10, it's for an impact player (Julio Jones).

You're going to pass up players that have a bigger impact if you select one of these offensive lineman. A pass rusher, CB, or elite offensive skill position player is going to have a bigger impact.

Reaching for a pass rusher is always better than settling for the "safe" route and taking a tackle that high simply because of the impact he has. Remember last year when you kept insisting that Bruce Irvin was a 2nd round pick, and I kept telling you that he won't make it out of the 1st round? It's because pass rushers are that valuable in the NFL now. Bruce Irvin had more impact last year as a situational pass rusher for Seattle than Jake Long or Joe Thomas has ever had for their teams.

The impact that players like Pierre-Paul, Gronkowski, Julio Jones, Bruce Irvin, and Aldon Smith have on their teams is incomparable to the impact than an elite left tackle has. Again, it doesn't matter how good the left tackle is.

Go get the Tank Carradine, Tyler Eifert, or Tavon Austin so you can actually make a choice that will impact your football team. If you're going to trade up, trade up for Dee Milliner.

Place the emphasis on athletic, intelligent offensive lineman that can move, and fit your system at various points throughout the draft to develope. It's full of 'em.

ok so your thought is if you are picking this high you should never be looking at a offensive tackle or i would assume olineman period...you'd rather go the route of a premium talent at a skill position...i get that...

but tell me this does cleveland never win and pick top 5 year in and year out pretty much cause of joe thomas or cause they have never been able to fill the qb position with a difference maker??? i mean can you see where i'm coming from here with some of this...t rich was a top talent position player who i know you endorsed a one of the top bpa in the draft period buit didn't add up to any wins...why??? cause the qb wasn't good enough or wasn't a big enough difference maker

When's the last time ANY great team took a receiver with their 1st pick???

:bobdole:

Crabree to the 49ers. Nicks to the Giants. Julio Jones to Atlanta. AJ Green helped take his team to the playoffs as a rookie. That's just off the top of my head.

Back
Top Bottom