Dolphins love their Undrafted Free Agents | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins love their Undrafted Free Agents

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
The Miami Dolphins love undrafted free agents and by remaining active after the draft they are finding contributors and at time stars. In '08 they welcomed Bess & Carpenter. In '09 Ryan Baker, Nate Ness & Juliuss Pruitt were part of the team. This year the Dolphins are loaded with UDFA on their roster.

Currently there are five UDFA rookies on Miami's roster. Those rookies are, Marlon Moore, Roberto Wallace, Jonathon Amaya, Jeron Mastrud & Matt Kopa. Of those five guys, four are seeing significant time and contributing. Moore was a difference maker yesterday, Wallace made a very crucial 3rd down catch against Oakland, Amaya is drawing more and more praise for his ST play, and Mastrud has been active as the backup TE for most of the season.

Dolphins also added Chris Baker an undrafted free agent last year a couple days ago and he performed well against the Raiders. Got to love how this organization just keeps finding young talent out of no where.

I would like to see the wrs more but considering we barely run 3 wr sets, that won't happen.

These guys making the team and actually getting on the field is more than anything the result of Ireland, Sparano and CO inheriting a team largely bereft of talent, missing on big name free agents and being less than perfect in the draft (though I do think we've drafted well overall).

I mean, sure it's great to see Moore and Wallace make plays. But they're only on the team because Wilford and Turner turned out to be ****.

Singling out guys like Ness, Mastrud, Pruitt and Amaya as finds is just so much pie in the sky optimism. Every team has guys like those on their roster -- guys with "promise," but who nevertheless have done exactly nothing. Mastrud for god's sake might be the worst #2 tight end in all of football. Pruitt hasn't seen the field, as in once, and after seeing him live in practice I can see why.

The Dolphins have had two big rookie free agents in three years: Bess and Carpenter.

A nice achievement but certainly nothing to write home about. Ten to fifteen rookie free agents a year turn into contributors of some kind.

This is why I don't even mind the ideas of trading up to get a guy, trading picks to get a proven guy or trading back to get more picks later in the draft. It is obvious that this front office seems to do good in the first round . . . and the later rounds/UDFA of the draft. They have struggled a bit in the mid rounds.

Bess and Carpenter, both undrafted, both top 5 at what they do (PK and slot WR) . . . that is pretty damn good.

Cameron Wake was undrafted aswell. just took the long road to Mia :) glad we got him

These guys making the team and actually getting on the field is more than anything the result of Ireland, Sparano and CO inheriting a team largely bereft of talent, missing on big name free agents and being less than perfect in the draft (though I do think we've drafted well overall).

I mean, sure it's great to see Moore and Wallace make plays. But they're only on the team because Wilford and Turner turned out to be ****.

Singling out guys like Ness, Mastrud, Pruitt and Amaya as finds is just so much pie in the sky optimism. Every team has guys like those on their roster -- guys with "promise," but who nevertheless have done exactly nothing. Mastrud for god's sake might be the worst #2 tight end in all of football. Pruitt hasn't seen the field, as in once, and after seeing him live in practice I can see why.

The Dolphins have had two big rookie free agents in three years: Bess and Carpenter.

A nice achievement but certainly nothing to write home about. Ten to fifteen rookie free agents a year turn into contributors of some kind.

I would certainly write home about Bess and Carpenter. In year 1 I could agree with your statement about a team lacking talent but those 2 or a couple of years have proven to be some of the best in the NFL. Currently only last years draft class is looking the weakest IMO.
Much is made about their free agency busts and in the rear view mirror I would agree. Cetainly when Smiley and Grove were playing we were running the ball much better. Wilson did improve but was certainly not worth the money. All the rest were really not paid that much but were a shot worth taking on a team that had been 1-15 the year before.

AJ Smith is the best at this. The Chargers have like 9 undrafted guys on their team.

He finds good ones every year.

I was listing the amount of undrafted free agents on the team, never said Mastrud was a star just that he has seen significant time. While Miami has not been perfect in the draft this team is loaded with young up and coming stars. For every guy they have missed on they have found a gem.

ill take bess and the rest of them are ........ehhhhh. take em or leave em.

arent most kickers UDFA?

ill take bess and the rest of them are ........ehhhhh. take em or leave em.

arent most kickers UDFA?

Usually the elite kickers are drafted . . . to get a Pro Bowl kicker after 2 seasons was a pretty damn good find by the Dolphins, and they cut a pretty good kicker in Feely to keep Carp.

Usually the elite kickers are drafted . . . to get a Pro Bowl kicker after 2 seasons was a pretty damn good find by the Dolphins, and they cut a pretty good kicker in Feely to keep Carp.

And forget about what you saw on Sunday, the talk amongst NFL agents is that both Marlon Moore and Roberto Wallace are players.

Sparano also praised Jonathon Amaya for the tremendous work he has been doing and said he was among the best to grade out after Sunday's win.

And forget about what you saw on Sunday, the talk amongst NFL agents is that both Marlon Moore and Roberto Wallace are players.

Sparano also praised Jonathon Amaya for the tremendous work he has been doing and said he was among the best to grade out after Sunday's win.

I personally like Wallace over Moore as a WR, and Wallace also plays special teams. Would like to see Moore back there with Bess on punt returns.

Speaking of Bess, he dropped the Davone "fair catch" Bess nickname this week . . . man I was loving a few of his returns.

Amaya is interesting . . . wonder if he kicks Culver off the team next year with his play . . . doubt we go 5 safeties next year, I'm thinking the odd man out is either Culver, Bell or Amaya. Hell of a tackle on special teams.

I personally like Wallace over Moore as a WR, and Wallace also plays special teams. Would like to see Moore back there with Bess on punt returns.

Speaking of Bess, he dropped the Davone "fair catch" Bess nickname this week . . . man I was loving a few of his returns.

Amaya is interesting . . . wonder if he kicks Culver off the team next year with his play . . . doubt we go 5 safeties next year, I'm thinking the odd man out is either Culver, Bell or Amaya. Hell of a tackle on special teams.

No offense, but Bell is not going anywhere guy is having a Probowl year.

No offense, but Bell is not going anywhere guy is having a Probowl year.

He is playing well right now, started slow . . . the reason why I think he could leave is because if Reshad Jones is ready to take over at SS, I could see us trading him to a team desperate for a good SS. He isn't getting any younger, part of building a good football team is getting value for a player at the right time.

With that being said, he is our best tackler and if you do replace him, you better make sure that kid can tackle. Having a ball hawk is nice, but missed tackles suck.

Back
Top Bottom