Dolphins' Marcus Thigpen Showing He Is Legit | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins' Marcus Thigpen Showing He Is Legit

fisi

Active Roster
Reaction score
In an up-and-down 2012 season, the Miami Dolphins do have a pleasant surprise to point to. The emergence of Marcus Thigpen as a legit and reliable return man is a sure positive for this current squad, and is something that looks good going forward too.
Coming out of Indiana University, Thigpen spent time with several different organizations. The Philadelphia Eagles, Denver Broncos, and the Saskatchewan Roughriders (CFL) all had Thigpen in camp/practice at some point. He was even with Miami briefly. In 2010 and 2011 he had a lot of success with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats (CFL). Thigpen scored TDs in numerous different ways, and established himself as a legit kick returner.
As the calendar turned to 2012 the Dolphins brought him back in to their mix. He showed enough to earn a chance to be their main return man. He has not disappointed, and he has not looked back. Thigpen has played in all 10 games. He is averaging 29.4 yards per kick return (that is #3 in the NFL, and he has almost twice as many returns as #1 and #2). For punts returns, Thiggy averages 13.6 yards per return, which is 4th best in the NFL.
Miami has not been in the top-5 for kick returns in the 2000′s, but Thigpen is on pace to change that (Miami finished as high as #7 twice). Miami has not been in the top-5 for punt returns since Wes Welker was #4 in 2004.
Thigpen is under contract for 2 more seasons and I think he is a guy who is going to set team records. The Dolphins all-time kick return leader for TDs is Mercury Morris with 3. The Dolphins all-time leaders for punt return TDs are Freddie Soloman, Tommy Vigorito, and O.J. McDuffie each with 2. The 26-year old Thigpen has 1 of each, and is just getting started. Thigpen has a history at every level of taking kicks to the house.
Thigpen burns a 4.47/40 yard dash. I feel like at times he looks even faster. It looks to me that Thigpen and the Dolphins are a great fit now, and for the next several years. Dolfans are excited about him, and I see why.

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2012/11/23/marcus-thigpen-showing-he-is-legit/?HjOf3hwOCd5atZmp.99

Why not try this guy WR or RB. I mean dude runs 4.4 for gawd's sake! find a way to get him the ball. dunnit!

Wake and now Thigpen. Two standout players on the roster both coming from the CFL! There has to be more where that came from. I find NFL scouting is so heavily focused on numbers these days - whether it's physical makeup, 40 dash times, strength, etc. It's very hard to quantify work ethic, passion, determination, heart, etc. The intangibles to make things just happen on the field. And because of this... "NFL worthy" players annually get passed by and the CFL becomes one of their best options. It might be the "rejection" that intensifies there will to make it. Motivating them to practice and work harder, etc.

Why not try this guy WR or RB. I mean dude runs 4.4 for gawd's sake! find a way to get him the ball. dunnit!
He's been actually timed as low as 4.28. 4.47 would be a slow time for him.

Wake and now Thigpen. Two standout players on the roster both coming from the CFL! There has to be more where that came from. I find NFL scouting is so heavily focused on numbers these days - whether it's physical makeup, 40 dash times, strength, etc. It's very hard to quantify work ethic, passion, determination, heart, etc. The intangibles to make things just happen on the field. And because of this... "NFL worthy" players annually get passed by and the CFL becomes one of their best options. It might be the "rejection" that intensifies there will to make it. Motivating them to practice and work harder, etc.
Next good candidate is Jovan Olafioye, OT with the BC Lions (Wake's old team) and now a free agent. I think we should look at him and I'm going to keep plumping for him as long as he's available...

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Based on these eyes he's much closer to 4.47 than 4.28!
Yeah, I think 4.40 is probably about right.

Citation needed, but I believe PFF have Thigpen ranked as their #1 kick-returner so far this year? Just another source confirming Thigpen's legitimate talent at the position. I hope he's here to stay.

Thigpen has been Fabulous but, did anyone see on a punt inside our 10, we use Bess?

Thigpen has been Fabulous but, did anyone see on a punt inside our 10, we use Bess?
Yeah, we always do that, basically because Thigpen botched it down there a couple times early in the year (letting it bounce when he shouldn't have). Thigpen never returned punts until he did it in Canada, and there you don't have a fair catch rule (the coverage has to give the returner 5 yards buffer zone when he touches the football), so his decision-making is suspect.

Thigpen has turned out to be one of the unexpected pleasant surprises this season. Full marks to Ireland for finding him and Rizzi for coaching him wisely. Maybe he is capable of contributing more.

Marcus Thigpen is a playmaker!

We need more of those.

Back
Top Bottom