Dolphins OC: DeVante Parker is 'hungry' and 'healthy' | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins OC: DeVante Parker is 'hungry' and 'healthy'

Nah. NEs offense is simply streamlined. They have their plan lined out, and they just click. Short, accurate passes and massive YAC. That's their passing game, and it obviously works.

But if Parker clicks, I wouldn't trade our set of receivers for anybody else's.

Sounds like our game plan for Landry.

Even if Parker is improved and healthy he'll never produce like a #1 until he's targeted like a #1 and I don't know if that happens in 2017 with Landry, Stills and Thomas. I'm not sure Landry would be cool with reducing his role with his free agency looming in 2018. He might handle it if the passing game revolves around Parker, as it does for most true #1 receivers, and the team is winning. But if they're losing or .500 and he's not the center piece I think it might be a problem.

He's already shown what he is capable of. No one is arguing his talent/skill set.

Just needs to be available for 16 games.... or more :)

FINALLY! Some positive off season stories with DVP, If he continues this he will have a big year, and if he can stay healthy of course.

Those A.J. Green comparisons coming out of Louisville will come into fruition this season, and I have no doubts about that at all. He's the most talented skill level player on this team, and arguably the most talented we've had in a long time. Getting his routine, diet (didn't even know this was a struggle), and finally a full offseason of work in.... He's going to beast this year. I love Juice, and he's my favorite player, but Parker is going to be the #1 this year and going forward.

This is the type of receiver that only needs 75-80 catches to hit 1200 and double digit TDs.

I'll be stunned out of my mind if DVP doesn't explode this season.

Edelman, Cooks, the great Chris Hogan, and oh by the way their real #1 Gronk.

Not even close. The only difference there is a guy named Tom Brady. I like Parker and Landry over that entire group, and I only like Cooks more than Stills for THIS offense. Edelman and Hogan are just above average receivers on another team.

Not counting Gronk because he's not a receiver. Of course I'd take him over Julius Thomas.

I'll take a healthy Parker and Stills on the outside with Landry in the slot and scream hallelujah. They all compliment each other to perfection.

Even if Parker is improved and healthy he'll never produce like a #1 until he's targeted like a #1 and I don't know if that happens in 2017 with Landry, Stills and Thomas. I'm not sure Landry would be cool with reducing his role with his free agency looming in 2018. He might handle it if the passing game revolves around Parker, as it does for most true #1 receivers, and the team is winning. But if they're losing or .500 and he's not the center piece I think it might be a problem.

If Devante is playing like a true #1 WR and Jarvis has a problem with that under any circumstance, then he either needs to get over it or sign with another team. I love his talent, but if Jarvis Landry is your #1 target, your offense isn't good enough. I don't blame professional athletes for having egos, but at some point, you have to think about the situation logically.

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

Good on DeVante for stepping up his game and becoming a professional.

He's always been a good kid. Now it's time to become a monster.

I read, "He's always been a good kid," and I immediately thought about his obsession with Spongebob Squarepants. :lol:

The notion of a #1 WR in our conceptually based offense is not an accurate depiction of our scheme and it's options. Our offense is more in line with a multiple choice question where the correct answer is D: All of the above. We don't have nor need a fantasy football-like #1 WR. Just see other teams that run similar schemes such as the Patriots. DVP doesn't need to reach some certain pinnacle of numbers to be considered a top talent at the position.

If Devante is playing like a true #1 WR and Jarvis has a problem with that under any circumstance, then he either needs to get over it or sign with another team. I love his talent, but if Jarvis Landry is your #1 target, your offense isn't good enough. I don't blame professional athletes for having egos, but at some point, you have to think about the situation logically.

I don't think that Will be a problem with Jarvis as he was already overshadowed by OBJ back at LSU

It is hard to predict who will get all the touches this year. Who will get more and who will get less. I assume Thomas will get all the Sims catches and a few more per game. If we are going to use Jay Ajayi will there be more passing? Is Ajayi or the other RB's getting more passes this year? What about Grant, Caroo or Ford? Unless we take a huge leap in points scored, not sure where all these touches get allocated.

I'll agree with you on this, to a point, and also would like to offer some pseudo-defense of Jarvis...

I don't think there SHOULD be a #1 target designated. All of our receivers have their unique skill sets, and if all are playing at a high level and are executing what Gase has in mind for them, you'd think it'd be difficult for an opposing defense to contentrate on simply "stopping the Dolphins' #1 receiver," or making that receiver or anyone else a non-factor. Plus, as EVERY team experiences, some weeks depending on game-planning/scheme, attempts are always made to eliminate a certain receiver/running back/QB, etc and take them out of their game. In such instances, the other players simply have to step up...

I truly believe, with Jarvis, that he simply has the heart and soul of a champion, and has been the spark the team has needed and frankly been the one to DEMONSTRATE what can be achieved with 200% effort. If it's part of his 'ego' to want the ball, as any playmaker does, to lead his team to a win, so be it. I, too, was bit miffed in some games last year where it seemed like everyone in the stadium knew Jarvis would be the target on a must-make "3rd and whatever." I think we know enough of Jarvis now that even if he had two measley targets a game (which we know won't happen), and those targets/catches were productive, made an impact at the right time, and helped to propel us to a win, he'd be just fine with that. I think he's been unselfish and not too outspoken in that regard when it comes to him "having to get the ball in his hands" at all costs. He knows what it means to be a team player. He experiences some personal disappointment if he's fallen short of his own high standards in such games.

I just think overall, whether it's one's own team, or league-wide, that labels should as a "true #1" should just be done away with. It's not realistic to have to live up to some perceived status/label someone puts on them. Just give 200% effort, for the good of the team, and capitalize on/exploit your strengths. If the coaches are doing THEIR job, they'll put our players, whether stars or not, in the best position to win. This year on offense, I think we have the makings of such a season, and I, for one, am greatly looking forward to that promise.

Ok so philosophical "what if" scenario

What if: Parker puts up good to great numbers let's say 900 to 1200 yards and 5 or 6 TDs and Stills puts up similar numbers as he did last year giving us close to 2000 yards and 12+ TDs of production between the two of them. Does that make Landry expendable if he prices himself too high?

I would assume if you picked up the 5th year option on Parker and you wouldn't have to deal with him re-signing until 2020 that you would love to re-sign Landry and have all three catching balls until 2020. I am assuming that Landry will want an average of 11m per year and if he asked for more than that it is just nonsense and in fact I'd argue 9m is about right for Landry.

So if Landry wants 11m a year is he expendable if Parker breaks out this season?

The notion of a #1 WR in our conceptually based offense is not an accurate depiction of our scheme and it's options. Our offense is more in line with a multiple choice question where the correct answer is D: All of the above. We don't have nor need a fantasy football-like #1 WR. Just see other teams that run similar schemes such as the Patriots. DVP doesn't need to reach some certain pinnacle of numbers to be considered a top talent at the position.

This...

Back
Top Bottom