Dolphins OL- Roster Spots Thoughts? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins OL- Roster Spots Thoughts?

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
Miami will keep 9 guys from the OL on the roster. Albert, Dallas, Shelly, and James are locks. Pouncey is or will be, depending on his time of recovery from injury.

Garner is the Swiss army knife and almost certain to stay. Fox is our only swing OT. Turner is not going anywhere and, IMO Benner is a keeper.

So, what are we now shopping for? Samson could be a fill in at center only for Pouncey if need be. Colledge is an OG only. Don't know who else is coming in for visits. I can't see any vet taking a deal without some guaranteed money.

How does everyone see this shaking out? Who would be the odd man/men out?

If Pouncey is put on PUP, I think he wouldn't count against the 53 man roster while he is out. A veteran signed now could only be on the 53 man roster for a few weeks.

Also, any veteran signed now is not guaranteed to even make the roster. A veteran could be insurance in case another injury to the interior offensive line occurs during training camp and preseason.

Have to do due diligence and bring players in to take a look for versatility and depth across a young unit. We may sign someone now, probably will, and also take a look hard at cut time. Unfortunately no matter how you want to paint the picture, we are not in the ideal situation here. It would be great if one or two young guys can come through, but we need what is beyond the normal expectations of this newly assembled and young line.

If Pouncey is put on PUP, I think he wouldn't count against the 53 man roster while he is out. A veteran signed now could only be on the 53 man roster for a few weeks.

Also, any veteran signed now is not guaranteed to even make the roster. A veteran could be insurance in case another injury to the interior offensive line occurs during training camp and preseason.

He would not, and there are no salary guarantees until a player makes the roster, depending on the deal. However. I have to believe that any vet at this point is going to have to have some guarantee (signing bonus) to stop looking at other teams.

Have to do due diligence and bring players in to take a look for versatility and depth across a young unit. We may sign someone now, probably will, and also take a look hard at cut time. Unfortunately no matter how you want to paint the picture, we are not in the ideal situation here. It would be great if one or two young guys can come through, but we need what is beyond the normal expectations of this newly assembled and young line.

Agreed, and no easy solutions. Just trying to look at who could be gone to add a vet. I guess it may be Brenner, who I like, and believe would come back to haunt us.

He would not, and there are no salary guarantees until a player makes the roster, depending on the deal. However. I have to believe that any vet at this point is going to have to have some guarantee (signing bonus) to stop looking at other teams.
Players without teams at this point don't really have any leverage, they just want to be on a team. If they try a power play, the Dolphins would look elsewhere and these players might not be on a team in camp. If they get a chance to join a team, I think they will take it. Sort of like Eric Steinbach in 2012.

Agreed, and no easy solutions. Just trying to look at who could be gone to add a vet. I guess it may be Brenner, who I like, and believe would come back to haunt us.

What may happen is another player at another position like WR eventually losses a roster spot who is a bubble type player because of the OL situation.

Miami will keep 9 guys from the OL on the roster. Albert, Dallas, Shelly, and James are locks. Pouncey is or will be, depending on his time of recovery from injury.

Garner is the Swiss army knife and almost certain to stay. Fox is our only swing OT. Turner is not going anywhere and, IMO Benner is a keeper.

So, what are we now shopping for? Samson could be a fill in at center only for Pouncey if need be. Colledge is an OG only. Don't know who else is coming in for visits. I can't see any vet taking a deal without some guaranteed money.

Fox will injure himself reading the playbook. Brenner is in danger for sure, garner may stick for his versatility.

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

What may happen is another player at another position like WR eventually losses a roster spot who is a bubble type player because of the OL situation.

That happens when u have a position with little talent. We also cannot afford to not carry enough linemen.

Players without teams at this point don't really have any leverage, they just want to be on a team. If they try a power play, the Dolphins would look elsewhere and these players might not be on a team in camp. If they get a chance to join a team, I think they will take it. Sort of like Eric Steinbach in 2012.

A guy like Colledge does have some leverage, as being the best of what's left on the market. At this point, he will need some guaranteed money or, just sit and wait for another team and injuries which are going to happen. He is in no big rush as camps don't even open for another month unless he gets a somewhat fair offer.

Colledge versatility gives him an edge over just about anyone we can bring in right now.

Colledge may be an OG only these days but he has started games at LT for Green Bay as well as playing some RT because of injuries. Last season Colledge was going to make the switch to RG after the Cardinals drafted Jon Cooper but when Cooper broke his leg, Colledge returned to his normal LG spot.

As far as a veteran taking a deal without guaranteed money, this happens every year. Players get released prior to the first game and then re-signed a week later in order to not guarantee their base salary.

Good point, which I had not considered. Keeping 10 could make sense in this situation.

Colledge versatility gives him an edge over just about anyone we can bring in right now.

Colledge may be an OG only these days but he has started games at LT for Green Bay as well as playing some RT because of injuries. Last season Colledge was going to make the switch to RG after the Cardinals drafted Jon Cooper but when Cooper broke his leg, Colledge returned to his normal LG spot.

As far as a veteran taking a deal without guaranteed money, this happens every year. Players get released prior to the first game and then re-signed a week later in order to not guarantee their base salary.

The last time Colledge played OT was way back in 2008. He played 1 game at LT, giving up 5 QB hurries, and 1 at RT, giving up 1 sack, 1 hit, and 2 hurries. He only gave up 15 total pressures in the other 14 games at LG. He is an OG.

Agreed on many vets taking no guarantees but Colledge is not one who will do that.

The last time Colledge played OT was way back in 2008. He played 1 game at LT, giving up 5 QB hurries, and 1 at RT, giving up 1 sack, 1 hit, and 2 hurries. He only gave up 15 total pressures in the other 14 games at LG. He is an OG.

Agreed on many vets taking no guarantees but Colledge is not one who will do that.

You mean he only started 1 game at LT. Like I said previously, he played some LT and RT for the Packers because of injuries. Meaning, while he may not have started the game at LT or RT, he moved over to that position during the game because someone was injured.

You really think Colledge will be willing to sit out the season if he doesn't get a guaranteed contract?

You mean he only started 1 game at LT. Like I said previously, he played some LT and RT for the Packers because of injuries. Meaning, while he may not have started the game at LT or RT, he moved over to that position during the game because someone was injured.

You really think Colledge will be willing to sit out the season if he doesn't get a guaranteed contract?

That may be but, he's listed as playing for the last 5 years at LG. If he filled in here or there, he was back at LG for the next game.

Yes, can't imagine him signing for a tryout to make the roster. I'm guessing that he will need around $3M on a one year deal.

That may be but, he's listed as playing for the last 5 years at LG. If he filled in here or there, he was back at LG for the next game.

Yes, can't imagine him signing for a tryout to make the roster. I'm guessing that he will need around $3M on a one year deal.

I don't care where he's listed, these are the positions he played at Green Bay and just because has not played another position in several years doesn't mean he cannot, atleast temporarily, play that position again.

$3 million on a one year deal? Not happening this late in the off-season. This maybe one of those reasons why he remains unsigned.

Back
Top Bottom