Dolphins' roster casualty and extension candidate | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins' roster casualty and extension candidate

ChrisJNelson

Phins-Spotlight.com
Reaction score
Hey all,

Here is an article I wrote today on the Dolphins' potential roster casualties and extension candidates:
http://www.phins-spotlight.com/2013/01/dolphins-roster-casualty-and-extension.html

Obviously the Dolphins are not in need of clearing more cap space at the moment, so we might not see any of these players released any time soon. However, I thought it'd be interesting to take a look at players that could be on the chopping block due to salary and other factors, especially if Miami makes additions at their positions.

I also talk about a few extension candidates for guys with expiring contracts in 2014. (You can probably guess who.)

Let me know what you think and if you'd show any of these guys the door this offseason or perhaps after the preseason.

If CB is such an issue, cutting one of Miami's most reliable receiver for the past 4 years makes sense? There is less depth and talent at WR and you want to get rid of him? HAAAAAAAAA

I don't get the love affair some have for Bess. He was a nice story making it as a UDFA but he is easily upgraded.

very interesting read and well done first and foremost...as usual i have some comments

dansby won't be cut this year...it doesn't make sense...his play hasn't fallen off enough where the cap room it creates exceeds the value...now in 2014 i think he's likely at minimum a restructure candidate if not an outright release possibility

davon bess i think depends on whats done in the draft...if miami brings in a slot like a ryan swope or a tavon austin (the latter of which i doubt given you're taking a top 2 round pick) i think bess could be let go...otherwise he sticks for another year

richard marshall barring a position change to free safety should be cut...he's just not worth that salary and dreadful on the boundary in vertical coverage...i would cut marshall but i agree that things could hinge on what happens with sean smith...if it's me though i cut marshall or competes at free safety and takes a pay cut

incog imo it all hinges on the draft...if they use a high pick on a left guard fit i think he could go...if not he likely sticks although he should be playing right guard but i digress...next year i would lose incognito at the latest...

dmitri patterson that $4.6 mil number is ugly but i agree with the idea that he could man the nickle...even still if i'm miami he's being approached about a pay cut...and if he's not taking it at that # if i can i let him go...

miami should absolutely be proactive and lock up reshad jones...if they wait til after next season when he's free they're looking at $8 mil per in the 5 year $40 mil range exactly as you projected...if they approach him now a year early and lets say offer him $6 mil per over 5 years i think he thinks long and hard about it...it's enough where his agent and him have some serious discussions i can tell ya that...if miami waits and he has another year like he did this one barring a tag which i would do vs let him walk $8 mil will be the number his agent is looking for...

as for paul solia i don't see the need to be proactive here...let him play out his contract and then decide what your next move is...he's a 2 down dt that doesn't really give you much pass rush and frankly wasn't as dominant this year as he was before he signed the extension...make him show you again

I don't get the love affair some have for Bess. He was a nice story making it as a UDFA but he is easily upgraded.

with who? tell me a receiver more reliable in the last four years than Bess on this team? what potential upgrade as a 3/4 slot receiver with great hands thats available

I'm not sure why there's the misconception here that I'm saying these guys will be cut. I'm simply exploring reasoning for and against. As I say with practically each guy, I don't see a move looming simply because of team need and abundant cap space already.

As for your post, hooshoops, I appreciate the detail and opinions. Always fun to discuss.

And finally, as for Bess--like I said, maybe he doesn't get cut this year. But my question is if you re-sign Hartline, sign a starting free agent and draft one or two guys high that you expect to contribute, do you really pay Bess what he's making to be that third, fourth or fifth guy when he doesn't even play special teams. Like I said, I get the fanfare here because he's a great story, but anyone that thinks there's a ton of upside there or that he's irreplaceable is mistaken.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

with who? tell me a receiver more reliable in the last four years than Bess on this team? what potential upgrade as a 3/4 slot receiver with great hands thats available

Bess is Welker. He's Amendola. He's well below the elite slot receiver in the game, which is Victor Cruz. He's a pure slot guy and there are fairly easy to replace. I like Bess too but he doesn't offer any upside or playmaking ability. The Dolphins wouldn't miss him if they re-signed Hartline and did their job acquiring talent in the draft and free agency.

God help us if Marshall and Patterson are our starting CBs next season.

Thanks for the link to the cap page. Where can I find out who else is entering the last year of their contract like Jones will be? Don't see it anywhere on that page.

Bess is Welker. He's Amendola. He's well below the elite slot receiver in the game, which is Victor Cruz. He's a pure slot guy and there are fairly easy to replace. I like Bess too but he doesn't offer any upside or playmaking ability. The Dolphins wouldn't miss him if they re-signed Hartline and did their job acquiring talent in the draft and free agency.[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, there is no receiver worth taking at 12th in the draft. Going DE/CB/OT are more attractive with that pick. We have to go against at least 24-30 teams who will be looking at Jennings, Wallace and Bowe. There is no given Miami will sign any of these guys. I would love to see one or two guys coming here, but in a time where Tannehill needs to develop, Bess is one of his more consistent targets and if Miami actually plays him where he belongs, as a 3/4 receiver, he will help continue to move the chains on the 3rd and 10s and lower yardage. Which plays to his strengths. I am not saying Bess is a superstar, but he sure as heck more reliable than an Amendola.

very interesting read and well done first and foremost...as usual i have some comments

dansby won't be cut this year...it doesn't make sense...his play hasn't fallen off enough where the cap room it creates exceeds the value...now in 2014 i think he's likely at minimum a restructure candidate if not an outright release possibility

I disagree wholeheartedly. I think this offseason is the restructure or trade year for Dansby. It's time for us to cut money off the books where it isn't being used properly and our linebacking core is one of those areas. Burnett is decent at best, but he could be upgraded easily by a draft pick or a Connor Barwin. Dansby could be beat out by a Te'o or even a cheaper same output player like a Rey Maualuga. There are so many decent free agent LB's this year that there is no reason why we shouldn't be looking at replacing those 2 or just giving them real competition for the starting job.

The other area needing to be restructured is the O-line, but I see Long gone this year and Incog gone in 2014.

I just hate the idea that you need to spend money to fill spots. You can pay for value and not just a roster spot filler ie Long, Dansby and Burnett.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading Bess if we bring in a big name wr like Jennings, draft a wr and re-sign Hartline. I think Hartline can do everything Bess can do out of the slot but has that added deep threat ability.

I disagree wholeheartedly. I think this offseason is the restructure or trade year for Dansby. It's time for us to cut money off the books where it isn't being used properly and our linebacking core is one of those areas. Burnett is decent at best, but he could be upgraded easily by a draft pick or a Connor Barwin. Dansby could be beat out by a Te'o or even a cheaper same output player like a Rey Maualuga. There are so many decent free agent LB's this year that there is no reason why we shouldn't be looking at replacing those 2 or just giving them real competition for the starting job.

The other area needing to be restructured is the O-line, but I see Long gone this year and Incog gone in 2014.

I just hate the idea that you need to spend money to fill spots. You can pay for value and not just a roster spot filler ie Long, Dansby and Burnett.

Barwin is a 4-3 defensive end, he would not replace Burnett.

Back
Top Bottom