Dolphins' roster casualty and extension candidate | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins' roster casualty and extension candidate

I disagree wholeheartedly. I think this offseason is the restructure or trade year for Dansby. It's time for us to cut money off the books where it isn't being used properly and our linebacking core is one of those areas. Burnett is decent at best, but he could be upgraded easily by a draft pick or a Connor Barwin. Dansby could be beat out by a Te'o or even a cheaper same output player like a Rey Maualuga. There are so many decent free agent LB's this year that there is no reason why we shouldn't be looking at replacing those 2 or just giving them real competition for the starting job.

The other area needing to be restructured is the O-line, but I see Long gone this year and Incog gone in 2014.

I just hate the idea that you need to spend money to fill spots. You can pay for value and not just a roster spot filler ie Long, Dansby and Burnett.

mauluga over dansby??? you're nuts...nuts...a 2 down thumper lb who can't cover and has no range over dansby...damn mateo that's bad...go ahead disagree all day long

and connor barwins a 34 olb... god dang fellas polish your games up with this kind of stuff

mauluga over dansby??? you're nuts...nuts...a 2 down thumper lb who can't cover and has no range over dansby...damn mateo that's bad...go ahead disagree all day long

and connor barwins a 34 olb... god dang fellas polish your games up with this kind of stuff

What does Dansby do better than a Rey Maualuga type of LB'er? Don't tell me he can cover better because the guy is burned EVERY single play up the middle. There is a reason teams with seam threat TE's destroy us every game, it's not magic. I think people look at his past years and still think he's that guy. I see a slower less capable backer.

Hoops, seriously you can't tell me his is a good coverage linebacker anymore, man..

Btw i'm not saying I want Rey here i'm saying for the money Dansby is getting we could pay less for the same value with a Maualuga

What does Dansby do better than a Rey Maualuga type of LB'er? Don't tell me he can cover better because the guy is burned EVERY single play up the middle. There is a reason teams with seam threat TE's destroy us every game, it's not magic. I think people look at his past years and still think he's that guy. I see a slower less capable backer.

Hoops, seriously you can't tell me his is a good coverage linebacker anymore, man..

Btw i'm not saying I want Rey here i'm saying for the money Dansby is getting we could pay less for the same value with a Maualuga

i can tell ya that dansbys way way better in coverage than rey rey...and cinci even knows it thus he's pulled off the field on passing 3rd downs...as for lets cut dansby and use that top pick on manti teo how are you filling a need with a difference making player??? you already have a pretty good mike in dansby locked up...fill another need with a player of similar talent and upside as teo...it's not like this team is loaded at pass rusher or corner or wr...you got one on a platter waiting for you and you want to cut dansby to save money that you couldn't sign a good every down free agent mike backer with to begin with...

manage the cap...for now and the future...cutting dansby this offseason is a foolish proposition...

I think Bess is more important then Hartline who trips after 15 yards

Bess had basically the exact same stats as Hartline until he got hurt

by the way dansby played half the year or so with a torn bicep...the kind of thing many guys say screw it put me on ir i'm not playing thru that...and while it effected his play late in the season mainly his tackling in short spaces i saw him not wrapping up as much that kind of effort and play thru pain is a terrific thing for young guys in the lockerroom to see and lead by example...

the only way you cut dansby this offseason with his contract the way it is is if he has become a cancer in the lockerroom or his play has fallen off the table to where financially it no longer makes sense...and neither of those things have happened...is he opinionated??? yeah he is...so what he's a veteran who's earned the right to be if you ask me

Not cut him, but trade or restructure this year. Not in 2014 when he's for sure a goner. Maybe you get a 4th for him?

I guess i'm the only one here that sees Te'o as a play maker, but I see him as a day 1 difference maker. He has exactly what is needed physically and mentally to play Mike in our defense.

We should always go BPA in the draft. If Te'o is there no way they pass on him. I'd hope not.. We have 8-9 other picks after that to pick up corner, receivers, te, de/olb, og, etc. We have like what 3 Top 50 picks? We can do it and in the process x that cap number of Dansbys off the books.

Last edited by a moderator:
You think Bess is overpaid averaging just over 2M/year... Lol. Good one.

A bad team doesn't get good by trading and cutting the few good players they have. If Te'o is there and you draft him you could always put Dansby on the outside and play him as a OLB.

A bad team doesn't get good by trading and cutting the few good players they have. If Te'o is there and you draft him you could always put Dansby on the outside and play him as a OLB.

I'd guess we have different opinions on what "good players" are then. At this point in his career I see Dansby as a serviceable player. He'll get his big hits and sacks once in a while, but will also lose in the coverage game on the regular.

You know I had this SAME discussion about a different Miami player a while ago. Yeremiah Bell. Gets his hits but loses in coverage, a one dimensional player and it's due to their ages. You lose speed after a certain age.

yeah you could do that...and then koa misi becomes a waste as your solb...

I don't get the love affair some have for Bess. He was a nice story making it as a UDFA but he is easily upgraded.

That's true. It's all about what the alternative is. If there is an upgrade to be had, you look at it. If Bess had been a first rounder, what would people say about him? No receiver on this roster should feel safe.

I'd guess we have different opinions on what "good players" are then. At this point in his career I see Dansby as a serviceable player. He'll get his big hits and sacks once in a while, but will also lose in the coverage game on the regular.

You know I had this SAME discussion about a different Miami player a while ago. Yeremiah Bell. Gets his hits but loses in coverage, a one dimensional player and it's due to their ages. You lose speed after a certain age.

Yup, i do think Dansby is a good player, Misi to me is a serviceable player, who really isn't that good of a fit for playing as a OLB in a 4-3. I was wondering how long it would take the coaching staff to figure that out and they did at the end of the season when they started playing him more as a DE, but he's still not much of a 4-3 DE either lol but we do agree that Dansby isn't so good to not draft Te'o tho.

Yup, i do think Dansby is a good player, Misi to me is a serviceable player, who really isn't that good of a fit for playing as a OLB in a 4-3. I was wondering how long it would take the coaching staff to figure that out and they did at the end of the season when they started playing him more as a DE, but he's still not much of a 4-3 DE either lol but we do agree that Dansby isn't so good to not draft Te'o tho.

Misi's best position is SOLB because that's all he can do. He failed as a pass rusher which is why he was drafted. I don't think he has any more future in the NFL at DE.

Back
Top Bottom