Dolphins' roster casualty and extension candidate | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins' roster casualty and extension candidate

Misi's best position is SOLB because that's all he can do. He failed as a pass rusher which is why he was drafted. I don't think he has any more future in the NFL at DE.

Yup,but i think his best fit is as a OLB in a 3-4 but either way he's "just a guy" i really don't think he was drafted as a pass rusher because he was never one in college. I mean i know Jeff is dumb but i hope he's not that dumb.

We definitely should try to trade Misi for whatever we can get for him, he's just not a fit at all in the 4-3.

No it wasn't. His primary goal at end was to stop the run

No. It turned out that's all he COULD do, so he stopped rushing the passer as much. But he was drafted to help get to the quarterback. He rushed the passer 40 percent of the time as a rookie and that number fell off in 2010 because he wasn't effective. He was never supposed to be a 4-3 OLB but that's all he can do.

From draft day 2010:

“He’s a great kid with a great motor and is a very versatile athlete who is tough as nails,” Ireland said. “This kid’s played defensive line, he’s played defensive end, and he’s played outside linebacker and inside linebacker. He does a lot of things and the versatility of the player really enticed us to take him. I think he’s going to play outside linebacker for us. He’s a good pass rusher. He gets out of trouble, stays on his feet and again I can’t say enough about his character and his motor.”

“As a pass rusher, he’s got great hands, he’s got quick hands. He knows how to leverage big tackles. He can get around the edge, he can counter back inside and he’s got a nice repertoire of tricks with him. He’s notCameron Wake in terms of the outside speed that way but he’s a very creative rusher with his rushes.”

No. It turned out that's all he COULD do, so he stopped rushing the passer as much. But he was drafted to help get to the quarterback. He rushed the passer 40 percent of the time as a rookie and that number fell off in 2010 because he wasn't effective. He was never supposed to be a 4-3 OLB but that's all he can do.

From draft day 2010:

“He’s a great kid with a great motor and is a very versatile athlete who is tough as nails,” Ireland said. “This kid’s played defensive line, he’s played defensive end, and he’s played outside linebacker and inside linebacker. He does a lot of things and the versatility of the player really enticed us to take him. I think he’s going to play outside linebacker for us. He’s a good pass rusher. He gets out of trouble, stays on his feet and again I can’t say enough about his character and his motor.”

“As a pass rusher, he’s got great hands, he’s got quick hands. He knows how to leverage big tackles. He can get around the edge, he can counter back inside and he’s got a nice repertoire of tricks with him. He’s notCameron Wake in terms of the outside speed that way but he’s a very creative rusher with his rushes.”

You said he failed rushing the passer from the DE position. Miami has played both a 3-4 front and 4-3 front. Ends responsibilities are very different in both. Even in a 4-3 the ends jobs are very different. I'm not trying to defend Misi's pass rush abilities because I think he has very little, just trying to understand what exactly prompted your comment

You said he failed rushing the passer from the DE position. Miami has played both a 3-4 front and 4-3 front. Ends responsibilities are very different in both. Even in a 4-3 the ends jobs are very different. I'm not trying to defend Misi's pass rush abilities because I think he has very little, just trying to understand what exactly prompted your comment

If I said he failed as a 4-3 DE I misspoke because I know he's never played that position. I meant to say he was drafted as a pass-rushing 3-4 OLB and he failed to succeed at that.

misi already failed as a 34 olb...he's salvaged his career as a 43 solb...stout at the poa...not great in coverage but solid overall...when he went out with injury the drop off was substantial...

way more valuable than he was in years past

misi already failed as a 34 olb...he's salvaged his career as a 43 solb...stout at the poa...not great in coverage but solid overall...when he went out with injury the drop off was substantial...

way more valuable than he was in years past

Wholeheartedly agree. Not sure how much of a long-term starter he is (I'd love to upgrade) but he's solid at what he's doing now. Not a lot of negative plays and Trusnik was destroyed when he played for him.

ehhh feel weird about Misi but it doesnt seem like he has passion for the game... i remember reading articles that he never watched a game of football.

but he did improve this year then his previous year.

ehhh feel weird about Misi but it doesnt seem like he has passion for the game... i remember reading articles that he never watched a game of football.

but he did improve this year then his previous year.

And Tannehill doesn't know the divisions. ;)

hey mateo still think rey rey is as good in coverage as dansby or that dansby wears a target at it??? let me tell ya the texans game plan today revolved around attacking rey rey in coverage and he wore a target all game long...dansby has never worn a target or been the focal point of any offensive gameplan...the bengals left rey rey on the field on 3rd down at times and it bit them in the ass...just like just about any check down in the flat to a rb did or any cross face te route...it was pitch and catch

hey mateo still think rey rey is as good in coverage as dansby or that dansby wears a target at it??? let me tell ya the texans game plan today revolved around attacking rey rey in coverage and he wore a target all game long...dansby has never worn a target or been the focal point of any offensive gameplan...the bengals left rey rey on the field on 3rd down at times and it bit them in the ass...just like just about any check down in the flat to a rb did or any cross face te route...it was pitch and catch

You're telling me that the Patriots don't game plan on attacking our mike lb every game?? Lol Come on man

Again, I never said I wanted the guy, I was just making the point that for the price of Dansby we might as well get a cheaper version of him.

And yeah I saw Rey get destroyed tonight :lol:

I'm not sure why there's the misconception here that I'm saying these guys will be cut. I'm simply exploring reasoning for and against. As I say with practically each guy, I don't see a move looming simply because of team need and abundant cap space already.

As for your post, hooshoops, I appreciate the detail and opinions. Always fun to discuss.

And finally, as for Bess--like I said, maybe he doesn't get cut this year. But my question is if you re-sign Hartline, sign a starting free agent and draft one or two guys high that you expect to contribute, do you really pay Bess what he's making to be that third, fourth or fifth guy when he doesn't even play special teams. Like I said, I get the fanfare here because he's a great story, but anyone that thinks there's a ton of upside there or that he's irreplaceable is mistaken.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

Bess is Welker. He's Amendola. He's well below the elite slot receiver in the game, which is Victor Cruz. He's a pure slot guy and there are fairly easy to replace. I like Bess too but he doesn't offer any upside or playmaking ability. The Dolphins wouldn't miss him if they re-signed Hartline and did their job acquiring talent in the draft and free agency.

Bess is a good player but he is not welker not even close.

Back
Top Bottom