Dolphins seventh-round WR Isaiah Ford "hasn't made much of an impression" in OTAs. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins seventh-round WR Isaiah Ford "hasn't made much of an impression" in OTAs.

Tiko377

Active Roster
Reaction score
Dolphins seventh-round WR Isaiah Ford "hasn't made much of an impression" in OTAs.

The No. 237 overall pick, it's not like Ford should be lighting it up, but t-shirts and shorts are a time when fringe prospects need to shine to have a legitimate shot at cracking the 53-man roster. Ford's biggest drawback is a rail-thin frame. He'll be headed to the practice squad if he doesn't turn heads in camp.

Source: Miami Herald
Jun 1 - 4:41 PM

well if you don't have a lot of speed, maybe pads will help him by slowing other players down? IDK, I didn't think we should expect a lot from a guy who might at best be our 5th WR.

Put Ford on the Jordan Phillips diet to bulk him up :)

Way too early to be too concerned. About like worrying after the half way point of stage one of the Tour De France. A lot can change between now and the end of August.

It's been like a week. I wouldn't expect any rookie to impress by this point
I wouldn't say ANY... I mean Harris has been impressing. But yeah for a 7th round player.... I'm not gonna expect anything for quite awhile. But we've heard more about drew morgan than ford, 7th / udfa - I wouldn't think draft pedigree means much at that point

Does the article state who said this?

Just Barry Jackson's perception based on the two days he's seen. So much can go into that. Who's throwing to Ford in the drills? Which defenders was he going against? How many times has he had many opportunities to standout and has failed to do so, or has he just not had many looks? Some of the receivers will be hard to judge unless they're working with Tannehill or Moore.

Damore'ea Stringfellow...still pulling for this guy to turn some heads...needs some route work....but love his size and down field blocking....baggage needs to be behind him...what a target in the red zone with Julius Thomas in there and the ground game a threat...intriguing to me

Does anybody out there see any hope for him?

Barring injuries or an unexpected mind blowing training camp, I expect Stringfellow and Owuso to be competing more for a practice squad spot than for the 53 man roster. I guess that could also change if Carroo, Scott and Ford struggle, but if those three fail to impress I would think the team would sign a vet in August to be the number 4 receiver before going with Stringfellow or Owuso.

Well we're in the very very very early days of the pre-season. And, the press, where we get most of our info, has only seen a few of those days even. Rookies typically look lost at this time of year. Players are not yet wearing pads. Obviously it's way too early.

But when you look at individual performances, it's worth considering the player's strengths. In the case of Isaiah Ford, he's known to be a great route runner who plays faster in pads than he times from a sprinters stance in gym shorts. Great route runners get that way by ceaselessly practicing their routes and getting in sync with their QB. That takes lots of reps, lots of practice outside of camp, and of course, knowing the playbook cold so you can play instinctively rather than thinking about what you're doing. None of those things are really possible yet. So it's not really surprising that he has not stood out.

Also, he is a big physical guy who doesn't lose speed when he runs in pads ... so we should expect him to look faster compared to the DB's when the pads come on later. Don't read too much into this. Take the positives ... don't worry too much about the negatives. It's not how you look in May that counts towards making the final roster.

Didn't like what I saw of Ford in his "highlights" - looked real mediocre.

Liked Drew Morgan...
Liked Stringfellow...
Didn't see enough Owusu footage...love his size though...but minimal production in college usually means little production in the pros....

It's way too early IMO.

He could suck or be a steal.

He was a really good WR at Va Tech but I'm sure he's learning quickly the NFL is differnt lol

Back
Top Bottom