Dolphins Should Draft QB in First Two Rds of 2018 Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Should Draft QB in First Two Rds of 2018 Draft

Dolph N.Fan

Active Roster
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolp...ould-draft-qb-in-the-first-two-rounds-in-2018

I agree. This is the draft to take a QB high. I’m not buying QB is the least of Miami’s problems and that Tannehill is going to come back 100% with no setbacks. Miami needs a backup plan. Decide on a QB you like and go get him. No waiting on him to fall to you. Matt Moore and Cutler shouldn’t even be considered options next year. Tannehill is coming off an injury where his mobility will probably never be the same, and we all know he’s better on the run. He’ll be 30, and wouldn’t have played a game in 2 years. I wouldn’t put all my eggs in that basket. If he gets hurt again and Miami doesn’t Draft a QB high, it’s another season down the drain.

Best case scenario is Miami gets their QB within 1st two rds, Tannehill comes back the same or better than last season and Miami has to make a decision on paying Tannehill and grooming their QB until Tannehill is done or sign and trade Tannehill and go with their new QB for the future.

Last edited:
agreed 100%

it's a win/win if we hit and tannehill is healthy. we'll have a rookie contract to let the situation play out.

tired thinking that a pick on a qb is a wasted pick when we have other holes. we're learning the hard way that a season without a qb is a wasted season, and our picks haven't shown to be any more valuable in the early rounds at other positions. we will always have holes but the one hole we can't afford is a qb.

get me a qb to sit behind tannehill, and do whatever with the other picks.

Normally I'd say no to drafting a QB that high with all the holes we have but there's a couple of reasons why it's the smart thing to do. I've always supported Tannehill and feel he wasn't set up for success from the start. Horrible O-line, not much of a RB till last year(which was not consistent)and different coaches to work for. He also "might" come back 100% healthy and pick up the offense they way he was doing when he got hurt but at the same time he will be 30(plenty of QB's have been good deep into their 30's)and he could get hurt again. But the main thing to me is this........we've neglected grooming young QB's for a long time. Tannehill was the first QB we drafted in the first round since 83(Marino) and we have paid a big price for it. I'm not saying we must draft one in the first round but we should draft one no later than the 2nd round. If we were just one or two players away then I'd not do it but we need several players anyway so getting a young QB makes total sense

Ozzy rules!!

If there's an elite quarterback then the answer is an easy yes. Even if there's a quarterback with a higher upside than Ryan Tannehill I think the answer should be yes.

I see Tannehill as slightly above average. The team can win with him, but if there's an upgrade at a position so valuable why wouldn't you do that? The Dolphins can essentially do what KC has done this year with Alex Smith. If Tannehill has a terrific season than it's the best of both worlds.

The 2nd round is OK as insurance, if not a good backup just in case, but the 1st round should not be the time you go QB, when you already have a good one, and odds are, if Tannehill is ready, the 1st round will be a backup only.

Miami has way to many needs before even thinking QB (TE, RB, G, LB, FS, Corner, DE) to take a luxury pick in the 1st, when Tannehill very well will come back, is still pretty young, and if you put that 1st round pick behind him, will probably leave in FA or a trade, before ever starting a game.

Agreed. Having Tannehill + a new QB to groom is a good situation to have.
As much as the OL is a problem, I'm done with this FO spending high picks on OL. Every year the OL is an issue no matter what.

Sooooo many other needs that i feel are priorities that unless you can get a franchise QB in the 1st rnd you go BPA. We need so many other positions that if you draft a QB that has only slightly higher ceiling than Ryan it's a waste of a pick.
Not to mention that ceiling is a PROJECTION and with our drafting record not sure if i have faith in our evaluators.
I keep reading ALOT OF PEOPLE acting like RT17 is done because of his injury. I'm pretty sure there's alot of players who have come back from an ACL just fine. That dude in New England is a pretty good example..... Just my $.02

The 2nd round is OK as insurance, if not a good backup just in case, but the 1st round should not be the time you go QB, when you already have a good one, and odds are, if Tannehill is ready, the 1st round will be a backup only.

Miami has way to many needs before even thinking QB (TE, RB, G, LB, FS, Corner, DE) to take a luxury pick in the 1st, when Tannehill very well will come back, is still pretty young, and if you put that 1st round pick behind him, will probably leave in FA or a trade, before ever starting a game.

30 is not still pretty young.

If he can come back, he has at least 4-5 years career left...you are willing to draft in the 1st round a QB to back him up for 4 year?
I wouldn't, and based on what I've seen on this board in recent seasons, few here would, either. I've read a lot of complaining about early draft picks not contributing immediately, and the thinking now is to use 2 early picks on the QB position when we have so many other more desperate roster needs? This board is an emotional wreck.

I wouldn't, and based on what I've seen on this board in recent seasons, few here would, either. I've read a lot of complaining about early draft picks not contributing immediately, and the thinking now is to use 2 early picks on the QB position when we have so many other more desperate roster needs? This board is an emotional wreck.
If Tannehill isn’t sucking up the joint no one is going to complain that his highly drafted backup isn’t playing

If he can come back, he has at least 4-5 years career left...you are willing to draft in the 1st round a QB to back him up for 4 year?

if he hadn't had these major knee injuries i'd say no way, but because there is an obvious risk that we lose him again....yes i am happy to draft a first round qb to back up tannehill and serve as an insurance policy.

just my 2 cents

http://www.espn.com/blog/miami-dolp...ould-draft-qb-in-the-first-two-rounds-in-2018

I agree. This is the draft to take a QB high. I’m not buying QB is the least of Miami’s problems and that Tannehill is going to come back 100% with no setbacks. Miami needs a backup plan. Decide on a QB you like and go get him. No waiting on him to fall to you. Matt Moore and Cutler shouldn’t even be considered options next year. Tannehill is coming off an injury where his mobility will probably never be the same, and we all know he’s better on the run. He’ll be 30, and wouldn’t have played a game in 2 years. I wouldn’t put all my eggs in that basket. If he gets hurt again and Miami doesn’t Draft a QB high, it’s another season down the drain.

Best case scenario is Miami gets their QB within 1st two rds, Tannehill comes back the same or better than last season and Miami has to make a decision on paying Tannehill and grooming their QB until Tannehill is done or sign and trade Tannehill and go with their new QB for the future.

AGREED.. and then ALL of the remaining picks should be OL and LBers

Miami had scouts at the Wyoming game to watch Josh Allen. We also had scouts at the ucla vs USC game to watch Rosen vs darnald. That leads me to believe we are def interested in drafting a QB in the first. That is by far and beyond the most important position in all of sports so let's do it. It's not like tanni is such a great player anyways. I'd rate him about a 5 from 1-10

Back
Top Bottom