Dolphins Should Draft QB in First Two Rds of 2018 Draft

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dolph N.Fan, Nov 29, 2017.

1. fin415

fin415 Rookie

While I agree with you, how does this work in practice? For the most part, your odds of success outside of high level first round players is very, very low. For every Tom Brady, there are 100 of no-names that none of us remember (or drink to try and forget). So, if you are serious about fishing for a QB, you either have to have a horrid season and draft high (still having some serious risk that you got the wrong guy), have mediocre seasons year in and out and 'waste' your highest level draft pick on an even higher risk player and in the process put your team and falling farther behind in the talent race, or draft later and hope you find the next Brady.

Outside of the luck of a Dak Prescott, it seems like everything is predicated on having a good enough QB running the show so you can play the lottery on those late day / next day picks and have the time without pressure to develop him or even trade him away because you have enough time left with your current starter to play the game again.

2. Elle Clouds

Elle Clouds A True Fan

I've seen enough of Ryan. I'd be appalled if he is still here in 5 years. With those knees, I don't think we see him in a Fins uni for more than 2 years.

Compare how many 1st round OL vs 1st rd QB's we have taken. I'm done with the notion of throwing first round picks at OL and not at QB ( most important position in sports)

Manning and Avigatorx like this.
  3. hoops

hoops exited stage left

his game doesnt

4. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

After watching more tape of Mike Gesicki; I don't think any TE in this class is worthy of a 1st rd selection, he has elite hands though.

5. hoops

hoops exited stage left

6. CRIOS

CRIOS PERFECT PHINS '72 Finheaven VIP Donator

I am all for a new qb in the upcoming draft.

7. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

So where are the pass-rushers? Is there a Myles Garrett in this class?
    McShay: No. Garrett is a special talent. NC State's Bradley Chubb is a great all-around player, but he doesn't have Garrett's elite skill set. Chubb is No. 5 in my Top 32. LSU's Arden Key, my No. 7-ranked prospect, is probably the best natural pass-rusher, but he has battled injuries and hasn't produced as much.

If we keep winning we can forget about Chubb.

Kiper and McShay lurk on this forum and steal my scouting quotes.

8. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I don’t think you have to worry about keep winning but 6 and 10 I’d say looks probable.

Gase is putting cutler in too many good positions in the passing game for him to just whiff and I imagine miami will be all in week 17 on riding into the offseason on a win.

One thing is for sure guys are open for plays to be made

I still think we lose the next 3 though. And finish in the 10 pick range

San Fran’s in prime trade out position

Jerrysanders and FSU Truth like this.
  9. hoops

hoops exited stage left

It stays the way it is right now draft slot wise top 3 and it probably will unless San Fran steals more games under garrop and I’d bet all the money in my wallet that qbs will go top 3.

Cleveland and the giants are qb all in ers and San Fran will trade out to someone coming up for the 3rd.

I doubt anyone’s coming to 3 for anything else other than qb

10. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

Don't forget 1 of those QB needy teams is going to sign Cousins.

11. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I don’t expect it to be a team in tbe top 3 but if it was it would be the giants. I think Denver may be tbe play there. Someone who thinks they are a qb away from contending again. Denver has older vets who are still playing at a high level they likely don’t want to wait on a rookie to develop etc.

And I’m not ruling out Washington resigning Kirk either even if it cost them $200 mil to do

Someone is gonna get Alex Smith on a short term mostly guaranteed pact and be happy with it although that may be a team that strikes out in the draft qb asset trade up ammo wise. A bridge the gap signing.

Something happens to tanny again in camp and I’d love to be able to sign Alex Smith as the plan b but he won’t be out there that long. Too much meat left on the bone with that guy still

Eli and Jax with coughlin makes a ton of sense Blake bortles to hit the market may find a suitor although I’m sure whoever does it isn’t gonna be warm and fuzzy about it and would give themselves a one year out.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  12. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

I agree, I think Alex Smith is done in KC but like u said there will definitely be teams rdy to sign him, First half of the season he played unreal (attacking all 3 levels in the passing gm)

Elle Clouds likes this.
  13. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Takes care of the ball too well to not find work. Still a quality athlete. Limits mistakes keeps you in football games.

Qbs not beating you with their play is huge. He doesn’t take you out of games.

In that sense he’s a lot like tannehill. Doesn’t make the mistakes that beat you

Jerrysanders likes this.
  14. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

Yea but Tannehill can threaten all levels in the passing game and Smith can't, teams know this so they play them different. Smith would of done more in SF as well if the coaches gave him the chance,

15. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

Cutler hasn't been bad with the TOs either, he just kills us by leaving too many plays on the field.

16. hoops

hoops exited stage left

There’s a lot more predetermined throws to tbe backs in kc with smith. It’s mostly the backs and the tight end lead o. Sprinkle in some vertical stuff with Tyreek Hill

He’s known to not pull the trigger unless a guys wide open and I mean wide open or at least he was going into this year.

Of late he’s gone back to his old primary progression and then bolt out stuff which reads like he doesn’t trust the protection or his reads

17. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

Great insight.

18. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Yeah it’s an execution issue with him more than anything else. But it’s been really bad. We’ve left a bunch of things on tbe field

The qb play thru 12 games sure feels like it should be producing a top 5 pick

19. hoops

hoops exited stage left

In San Fran he was one read and take off with it. That was the book on Alex Smith

20. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

The QB play and the pass defense as well.

21. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

That was the draft take on him as well, he was a spread QB. He had a very high wonderlic also, so teams probably figured he was very smart.

22. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

The narrative is this draft class is not as good as last years, so I would like to stay in the top ten.

23. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I think he is very smart I just think he at times given the athlete becomes a athlete that plays qb instead of what you want which is a qb that happens to be an athlete too.

But Andy Reid has maximized his skill set as a play caller giving him easy reads and primary throws and once tyreek Hill got there the nfl had an adjustment period to what he brings to the table and couldn’t just sit on Travis Kelce and the run game

That defenses implosion is a result of the loss of Eric berry primary and some attrition on the edges and average lb play but primarily Eric berry

24. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I’m figuring that out. If Denzel Ward who I saw Saturday and liked but screamed ideal nickel corner is being projected as a top 12 pick this class lacks substance overall.

And I like the Ridley kid from bama as a wr but most classes he wouldn’t project to go top 20

25. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

They need wrs, Maclin was a good chain mover for them, I love hill but they need more from the wr position.

26. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I don’t think Alex Smith would get the most out of anything outside the numbers. He went one year I believe without a td pass to a wr

That’s pretty telling

27. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

Yea I agree with the Ward and Ridley take, Ridley does have a good bursts and a nice stem but I can't thing of any comps for him, I haven't seen any corey davis type route runners yet.

28. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

Great point.

29. hoops

hoops exited stage left

All this just screams the qbs are gonna fly off the board. If the values not there elsewhere they gonna run qb cards up

30. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

From what I hear the WR class is suppose to be good as far as potential and depth wise. Ridley is being hyped as the super polished guy in this class tho IDK why lol.

31. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

QBs, RB, OL, DTs and I think WRs are the supposed strengths of this draft. If the fins trade Parker or don't resign Landry, I wouldn't be surprised If we draft a wr early.

32. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Mel and Todd think that Rosen is the most-ready and accomplished QB, that Darnold 10 years from now might well be the best of the bunch - but might be well served staying at USC for another year, that Allen has the Wentz vibe and is the 3rd QB in the class, I believe on both their boards; they have my choice Mayfield as a fringe first rounder and has Jackson as a later rounder based on potential, maybe slowly developing him as a QB while utilizing his fantastic athletic skills as possibly a wide receiver. They really didn't get into why they thought Mayfield so far behind the other 3, whether it was an off field issue that got video'd, height, cockiness or whatever. Would have loved to hear their rationale.

Meanwhile Marcus Spears was on with Michael Smith and raved about Mayfield as the best most ready QB in the draft, citing accuracy, surprisingly strong arm, leadership and that all his players loved to play for him, even, when he had to sit out the opening quarter and relinquish his captain role, the coin flip players brought his jersey out to the circle.

So there's that too.

Jerrysanders likes this.
  33. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Mayfields size is gonna be his biggest obstacle in tbe draft. He doesn’t fit the prototype and prototype and measurables validate top picks.

Just is what it is.

For my money there’s no doubt who the most ready is and that’s rosen for pocket progression play.

That’s a big difference with what you are gonna run with mayfield which initially at least is gonna be highly single read type stuff and easy primary concepts

34. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

Yea Mayfield has good zip, his arm is a lot stronger than ppl expected, Jackson has accuracy issues throwing down field and its going to be a steep learning curve when he sees an NFL playbook. Wentz has a rocket arm and Allens arm actually looks a good bit stronger so thats saying a lot.

35. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Oh I have no doubts if either of those two things happen that they would invest in a first 2 day wr.

I just hope they pump the brakes on any of it til they get to play in 2018 with the actual plan a qb and one that can execute at a high clip

36. hoops

hoops exited stage left

The giants ran west coast concepts with Eli if they stick with it under the new hc and gm then barring a vet add Josh Rosen won’t get past them at two.

Cause he’s the ideal fit for that style o

He’s also the ideal fit for our o assuming we aren’t gonna change up our concepts all that much. Pre snap and progression based

37. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

Agreed, I want another DE ( all around type), one thing I've learned this year was how much impact a DE that can play the run really make, We looked completely different with Hayes in there.

38. hoops

hoops exited stage left

You have Bradley Chubb visions. Cause that’s not Arden Key

39. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

Is it me or did Lazors Offense have more of a west coast feel to it than Gases offense ? IDK

40. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders A True Fan

I definitely want Chubb, I think he's a more finished product, I don't like Keys body type either, somewhat light and not ripped or muscular, Key is not a factor vs run.