Dolphins show interest in Aaron Murray

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by fishfanmiami, Apr 18, 2014.

1. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

We already now the Dolphins are showing interest in former University of Miami quarterback Stephen Morris. Well, they're apparently somewhat keen on former Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray as well.
    A league source tells me Murray has met with some Dolphins representatives during the current draft process and there could be a future meeting that would suggest a greater desire by the team to understand what makes Murray tick.
    Murray, it must be mentioned, is not expected to be selected high in the draft. Despite being a four-year starter at Georgia and throwing threwing 121 TDs and only 41 interceptions, the player who competed at the highest level against SEC competition is considered a likely third-to-fifth round draft pick, depending on varying opinions.
    Murray suffered a torn ACL in November and did not compete at the Indianapolis Scouting Combine. But he was sufficiently recovered -- he'd say fully recovered -- to show his wares at the Georgia Pro Day.
    Murray didn't seem to have any limitations at that workout -- which is stunning considering the knee reconstruction was done six months ago. But he did wear a brace for the session.
    This is how NFL.com's Gil Brandt broke down Murray's Pro Day:
    "Murray — who has 9 1/8-inch hands — threw 54 passes at the pro day, with just two that would be considered not catchable. He showed good velocity on the ball, but toward the end of the workout it appeared as if his arm got tired. His knee looked stable, but he did wear a brace on it.
    "Murray — whose mother and father were both present to watch the workout — had a very good pro day. He’s a not-get-too-high or not-get-too-low type of player. If there’s a run on quarterbacks in the second round of the 2014 NFL Draft, he could wind up being selected in that round."
    We'll see about that second-round prediction. Despite his NFL-caliber arm and production in college, Murray is not one of the new-thing running QBs. He's a pocket passer. And his size (6-1) is not prototypical. But then you come back to his production and, well, it makes a good case for him.
    By the way, the fact the Dolphins are doing so much homework on Morris and Murray and other QBs should plant the seed that the team is seriously going to consider drafting a quarterback in this coming draft.
    lIt may not happen early -- as Miami doesn't even have a complete offensive line to protect starter Ryan Tannehill so that's kind of sort of the priority -- but if a value pick in later rounds is available, new general manager Dennis Hickey may take him.

[video=youtube_share;uoeHh11H4YE]http://youtu.be/uoeHh11H4YE[/video]

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...-the-pages-to-the-notebook.html#storylink=cpy

I really liked this guy at UG. Glad he's on our radar :up:

2. DUB

DUB Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

4th round at the very highest. I am open to it, as I'm high on Murray. Doubt it plays out that way though.

3. fishfanmiami

4th round sounds about right. His guy is tough as nails and seems to have great football smarts. Coming of an injury which seems to be a recurring theme around here. i could see him beating out Devlin for a spot.

Draft guys what do you think ?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
  4. cuban_refugee

cuban_refugee Football On My Mind 24 Hrs Per Day

I like him. But wouldn't select until 4th.

5. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Interesting kid. Battle tested. Small though.

6. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

If Murray is on the board when the Phins pick in the 4th... they should think long and hard about selecting him.

Murray IMO is the best of the SEC QB's avialble. Given a yr or 2 of seasoning will be better than Devlin or Moore

7. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

Drafting him is a good idea in 4th round. We finally get the Brees clone after all these years.

8. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

I'd take him in the 4th a hundred times out of a hundred before taking Morris in the 6th or 7th.

9. fishfanmiami

10. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

We will be lucky if he is on the board when we pick in round 4. If he is though, you have to take him.

11. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Smoking Hole at the Hard Rock Moderator Finheaven VIP

I'm going to go out an limb here. I think there is absolutely zero chance we draft a QB. We have too many holes to fill to be wasting picks on fourth to seventh round QB's. I can see them maybe bringing in an undrafted QB.

12. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Undrafted free agent is definitely a way they might go. But if a talent like Murray is there in the 4th round it might be hard to pass up. Especially with Moore and Devlin having contracts that expire after this season.

The Stephen Morris interest though shows that the UDFA route is definitely on the table. If they go that way, it will be Devlin, Rodgers and the UDFA for the 3rd spot. I assume Devlin will keep his job in that case.

13. jc4005

jc4005 Well-Known Member

Makes sense only if they plan on cutting Devlin. We have to come away with 3 starting caliber players, and still needs load of depth everywhere else.

14. fishfanmiami

You maybe right and they may go with the guys they have but it's nice they are doing their homework just in case someone they really like falls a little.

Guess it all depends on if they think Devlin is the guy to backup Ryan should Moore leave next year as Nubs mentioned.
    I don't know the answer to that.

15. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Smoking Hole at the Hard Rock Moderator Finheaven VIP

Like I said just my opinion and you can bust my balls if I am wrong. I would hate it if it happened and I would find it hard pressed if a new GM took a chance on a 4th round QB over filling one of his needs with the best available LB,G,T or a WR in a deep draft. Should be able to find a player there that will contribute next season rather than having a guy that may not see the light of day any time soon. I just don't see the Dolphins as team of having the luxury of making that pick.

16. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

The smart thing to do is plan to develop a young QB with upside. If Murray or McCarron or Garapollo is available when we pick in say the 4th round, he may be the BPA. Despite the fact that we have more immediate pressing needs. Developing a good low cost backup QB frees up a potential cost saving in Matt Moore in a year's time. We will need the extra $5M not too far down the track to help pay for Tannehill. And who knows, Murray could have the ability to become a starting quality QB if nurtured properly by Lazor (his skill is developing QBs eg Foles). I actually think that there is a high probability that we draft a QB in the mid rounds.

17. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I didn't realize Murray's hands were only 9 1/8. That's kind of borderline. In fact, one friend of mine uses that exact number as the cutoff point. He likes to bet against young quarterbacks with hands below 9 1/8.

I believe Brett Smith of Wyoming measured at 10 inch hands. I like him as an intriguing mid round prospect.

18. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

I'd even go w/ Mettenberger in the 4th. Call me nuts but I like Connor Shaw as a UDFA too.

19. NCFINFAN13

NCFINFAN13 The Phinsuckery Continues Donator

I'm glad ... I like the kid

20. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

We are going to hear the Dolphins are high on many players from now til the draft

21. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Are you sure that's his hand size?

22. LDaniel7

LDaniel7 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

If he beats out Devlin for a spot there's gonna be some people on this board jumping off a bridge, lol.

Ld

23. fishfanmiami

I just measured and his is the same as mine (9 1/8) oh hand size ? nevermind :chuckle:

The way they measure hand size is to spread your hand flat and measure from the outside of your thumb to the outside of your idex finger. Mine is actually the same as Aaron's and i'm also about the same size (6'1" 208) so that's probably average as opposed to Russell Wilson's 10 + inch hands. Here some of the other QB's if anyone is interested.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/02/nfl_combine_how_do_you_measure.html

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
  24. Buddy

Buddy Right Wing Nut Job Moderator Finheaven VIP

I was going to say, of you have a bonafide 9 1/8", you are a stud.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

25. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Reminds me of the old Woody Allen story he used to tell back in his stand-up days about picking up and parking with a sexy hitchhiker who, when telling him to give her nine inches and hurt her, he balled her 3X and banged her head against the steering wheel.

26. fishfanmiami

you measure from your belly button right ?

27. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Apparently Wilson's hand size is more fitting of a 6'8" man.

28. fishfanmiami

here's some of this years QB's

Largest
    Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech (10 7/8)

Smallest
    Jordan Lynch, Northern Illinois and Dustin Vaughan, West Texas A&M (8 7/8)

Others of note
    Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M (9 7/8)
    Blake Bortles, Central Florida (9 3/8)
    Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville (9 1/4)
    Tajh Boyd, Clemson (9 5/8)
    Derek Carr, Fresno State (9 1/8)
    AJ McCarron, Alabama (10)
    Jimmy Garoppolo, Eastern Illinois (9 1/4)
    Aaron Murray, Georgia (9 1/8)

Logan Thomas has some bear claws

29. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

I hope we take a chance on logan thomas. Yes yes I know... but he has upside and thats the point of the third qb

30. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

I would love to see us pick him up in the 4th...

31. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Last year many people liked Tyler Wilson of Arkansas. He had sub-9 inch hands. Didn't pan out, in fact a huge bust, waived by the Raiders despite being picked in the 4th round.

32. MartinTheSNAKE

MartinTheSNAKE Seasoned Veteran Donator

Not only that, but if Murray shows some signs of potential, we may be able to swing him for a 2nd rounder in the future if Tannehill pans out.

33. Asicswrg85

Asicswrg85 A True Fan

If he drops I would completely be on board with this. I could see hom becoming a great backup or a potential starter worth trading in a few seasons

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

34. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

With everything considered I think AJ McCarron is the likeliest to be the best QB of the class and I think Tajh Boyd could be the steal of the draft if he makes it to the 7th or even goes undrafted. If we're hell bent on getting a backup QB in the draft (and I think we should be) I think we could get good value with pretty much everyone on that list after the 4th round (everyone except Logan Thomas), personally I would take Boyd in the 6th though.

My prediction is we will take a QB at some point and we're keeping Moore right now as insurance in case there are no opportunities to get good value.

35. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

I would take a late round QB every damn year regardless of who's on your roster if you believe in their potential. Aaron Murray is much more interesting a prospect than Morris even though he doesn't have anywhere near the physical ability. Smart in the pocket, reads the field well, and great touch on the deep ball. Big fan of his and would happily spend a 4th on him.

36. dolfin530

dolfin530 Student of the Game

Don't see the need to spend a draft pick on a QB IMO. I'd rather get a rookie FA.