Dolphins shut down Dion Jordan trying not to 'overload him'

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by number1fin, Aug 12, 2013.

1. number1fin

number1fin #onephin Donator

http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-77001689/

Let us all collectively keep our fingers crossed that he will be ready to go for the opener.

2. iambanned

iambanned Banned Hammered

This is pretty maddening. Why did he have to trade up for a guy who was hurt, with an injury that might derail his whole career? I love his film from Oregon as much as anyone else but he's skinny as hell and has a freakin' shoulder injury?

Don't ya think we coulda got a pretty good player at that position AND kept another draft pick to draft a better OLineman than Dallas Thomas or a better corner than Jamar Taylor (a guy with a freakin' sports hernia?). Damn.

3. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

It would be massively foolish to take a 3% risk in not allowing his injury to heal. First seasons are hard enough for most rookies. By next year he will be bigger and faster.

4. Madridista7

Madridista7 Well-Known Member

He'll be fine, just have to be patient. Better to be cautious now and have him for 10+ years than to rush him in.

5. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod The Oracle

No.

All three are good players and they were drafted because of the players they will be in 2-3 years vs the players they are now (as are most drafted players).

6. Phindog

Phindog A True Fan

No

7. DolphinDevil28

DolphinDevil28 I like boobs. Finheaven VIP Donator

Oh God here we go.

There's THAT post.

Gonzo likes this.
  8. iambanned

iambanned Banned Hammered

Are we playing with a bigger eye on 2014 than 2013? We could be, but then how many of these players will be gone after this year?

Do we think of the 2013 Dolphins like the 1991 Cowboys? A team good enough to maybe sneak into the playoffs and then go on a dynasty run in following years? That would be awesome. Maybe I'm putting too many hope eggs in the 2013 basket and 2014 is really where it's at.

9. Phindog

Phindog A True Fan

You are,the season is not balancing on Dion Jordon being in the line up early and often,just like the season is not balancing on Mike Wallace catching 40 yard bombs every game,both will be a big part of our success but not hinge on them and them only especially Dion Jordon.

10. MiamiMuss

MiamiMuss A True Fan

The team as a whole is not that good.Miami didn't take these guys to sit on the bench the 1st season.

Pack your bags Ireland!...Waste of a pick...Actually 3 picks!

11. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Practice? We draft a player 3rd overall and in his rookie season y'all are worried about PRACTICE?

Had to....

12. MiamiMuss

MiamiMuss A True Fan

Ya lets not worry about a Rookie,who was late to camp and was over drafted.Practice is very important right now for Dion!

13. EvilDylan

EvilDylan A True Fan Donator

yo, you mad bro?

14. Casas9425

Casas9425 A True Fan

This is a nice way of saying that he re-injured his shoulder.

15. jimthefin

jimthefin Well-Known Member

I have never understood the notion that draft picks should be used based on what they will give you right away.

You are not trying to find the best rookies, or the guys most ready to play early, you are trying to find the best FOOTBALL PLAYERS.

I would have loved to hear what the OP had to say about Jason Pierre Paul after his rookie year.

16. Elle Clouds

Elle Clouds A True Fan

I got the Allen Iverson reference.

17. joeharley666

joeharley666 Banned Hammered

:crazy::lol2::lol2:

18. EvilDylan

EvilDylan A True Fan Donator

How many picks?

So it's safe to say you don't pay attention to miami dolphin's football?

19. number1fin

number1fin #onephin Donator

Very raw yet freakishly athletic while flashing play-making and game-changing ability.

Just like Jordan even though it's still too early to tell what that will translate into.

20. BigNastyFish

BigNastyFish A True Fan

I really didn’t like this move for the same reason as taking Long #1 in the entire draft -- anyone you grab that high should be physically sound -- and this kid was anything but physically sound.

It seems evident that after so many months after surgery the shoulder had not healed properly and that's (most likely) an indicator of another procedure on the horizon.

Bad freaking news IMO.

Other than that -- everyone agrees the kid needs to bulk up a bit for the NFL game. It's going to really hard to do that with a bad shoulder. I mean -- you can't lift heavy with that injury in the background.

21. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

damn!!!

22. dcnr226

dcnr226 A True Fan Donator

Have you learned nothing from picking Daunte Culpepper over Drew Brees??

In modern medicine we must trust..

23. LDaniel7

LDaniel7 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

This.

He tweaked his surgically repaired shoulder and they're hoping it's not too bad. So the sudden "precaution."

LD

24. flynryan15

flynryan15 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I will get upset when he misses regular season games

25. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

That was my instinct also. I wonder about it during the game when he was so sparingly used. Didn't make sense minus an injury concern.

Probably not too bad.

26. Chance29

Chance29 Rookie

The over reacting at finheaven has gotten to an all time high..... Wow

27. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan

Already, we have seen a very significant amount of potential in Jordan in just a couple dozen preseason snaps, yet we have people in this thread declaring him a failed draft pick already because it appears he's had at least a minor injury setback. Even if he can't play part of this season, if he reaches his potential for the Fins as a passrusher he would be a great draft pick. Probably best that we chill and see what happens over the next couple years before declaring him a bad (or good) draft pick. Shoulder injuries can take a while to heal properly. No need to get out of shape yet.

28. Show Me Your TDs

Show Me Your TDs My head's on Fire!

No, but I was surprised to see him used so much so quickly. I expected to not see him in any of the HOF game. I hope he didn't overdue and suffer missed games. A should injury is a tricky thing especially with his stature and frame playing DE.

29. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan

I sorta, kind of completely agree with you. Went though a torn labrum myself. Takes time and a lot of work. Also easy to re-injure. It's fair to say if he has re injured it, and it costs him significant playing time this year, somebody screwed the pooch on the decision to play him. Still, it's his long term potential and whether he reaches it that determines if he was a good or bad pick.

30. Phins1020

Phins1020 Well-Known Member

Why do we have to assume he is going to miss regular season games? Maybe we saw what he is capable of, and lowered his load to give his shoulder more time to improve. I don't need to see him on the field all day to know what he is capable of. He only played 3rd down in the Cowboys game, and 7 snaps in the Jaguars game...in that limited time, I saw that he is a fast dude and is capable of messing up the backfield. If he misses games its not a big deal either way. Our D-line is stacked, he is more of a luxury at this point, and I would rather he completely recover before games start to matter.

31. mega-fin-love

mega-fin-love Just trust me Donator

You at least have to give iamtiv one thing...Dude says whatever the hell he thinks even though he knows he's gonna get bashed for it....haha

32. hoops

hoops exited stage left

yeah i think his shoulder is giving him some issues...tried to watch to see if i could see an indication in the game of when it actually happened or when it flared up i guess is the word but i couldn't tell much...i did see him flexing his hand and arm after one play that i thought was a bit unusual...like he was trying to shake something out...but i saw no indicator of a guy playing with one arm...

i don't buy any overload stuff though...they've treated him with kid gloves frankly...

33. MarshallFin1

MarshallFin1 Banned Hammered

yal worry too much. They should be cautious with him, he is too valuable to the franchise in the long run.

34. Tworings

Tworings Well-Known Member

Jackie Shipp
    John Bosa
    Eric Kumerow
    Randal Hill
    Billy Milner
    Yatil Green
    Jarma Fisher
    Ted Ginn
    Vontae Davis

Now
    Dion Jordan

the list continue.....Why the Dolphins can not get the first round pick right! So frustrating!

35. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

Not even one snap played in the NFL and already people are calling the Dion Jordan pick "not right"? Man and I thought the Ireland thread was full of craziness. :lol:

What happened to the notion of taking risks with the first pick instead of playing it safe?

36. ticophin

ticophin Starter Donator

We just got the KRYPTONITE to the Kaepernicks, Wilsons, Bradys, Brees, Rodgers, and Mannings of this league...quite probably, and potentially, the VERY BEST player of this entire draft! And still, some ***** and moan. UNFbealievable!!

37. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

It sure seems odd at this point, they'd shut him down without justification. On the positive side Jordan did look comfortable at the scrimmage and in the game against Dallas. I think he has vast knowledge of the playbook already and it's just a matter of getting him healthier, before running him out there every 3rd down.

38. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

You've got to love the impatient, short attention span, need for instant gratification generational era we are living in. We had fans calling for heads and declaring the team a failure and some high profile players busts after one meaningless preseason game that was not gameplanned for? Please.....get real!

39. Smith21

Smith21 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

How's Austin working out? Arm chair Gm's everywhere! The upside of Jordan is better than any playmaker in the draft.. He hasn't even put on Nfl weight yet and guys are worrying that he won't be healthy enough? Look at Vernon from last year to this year..

40. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

I'm fine with this. Keep him from getting hurt, keep him from missing any time.