Dolphins sign Probowl Kick Return Clifton Smith | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins sign Probowl Kick Return Clifton Smith

Welcome to the Dolphins, Peanut. Hope you can stick.

I'm glad we signed him but hopefully not at the expense of Hilliard. You need him around encase Brown or Williams get hurt and insurance for next year if one leaves. Not sure about the injury thing with C Smith. Head injuries tend to linger and become clusters.

Sweet. Upgrades our return game substantially. Welcome to Davie!

Yeah and he can instantly be inserted into KR and PR role. You don't need a whole lot of practice for those roles.
Oh FinAtic good catch! I love how you never sleep on Dolphin news!

Awesome. I was hoping we'd end up with him or another returner (I think Miller is available still?)

Ireland starting off on the right track. If he keeps this up in 53 days our Roster is gonna be Rocking!

Awesome. We really needed to boost in the return game. No more Bess on punts guys! Finally.

It's nice to see this organization acknowledge that we need somebody to return kicks. I don't care who in the back end of our roster has to go to get this done, it's worth it for a returner of Smith's caliber.

An NFL source confirmed that the team brought former Tampa Bay Buccaneers returner Clifton Smith and former Jacksonville Jaguars safety Gerald Alexander in for workouts Tuesday. Both players were released over the weekend.

The source said Smith signed with the Miami Dolphins Tuesday evening without having received an offer from the Packers, while the Packers also chose not to sign Alexander.

Smith had said on his Twitter account (@CliftonSmith22) after his workout for the Packers that he was on his way to Miami, which was “option #2.”.

“Green Bay was amazing. I loved the great tradition out here. Now it's time to fly to option #2 and make a decision,” Smith said on Twitter. He later thanked Packers fans for their Tweeting pleas for him to sign with their favorite team.

“I’m making this decision based on family and on business because it is a business,” Smith Tweeted later. “I found out the hard way that owners and organizations love their families more than mine, so now as a businessman I have to have the same approach when making this decision

“I would love to be in green and gold. It was a dream of mine growing up to (do) the leap after I scored! But this is a cold business and I have to go where it was in the best for me and my family.”

Smith was released when the Buccaneers claimed ex-Packers running back Kregg Lumpkin on waivers. The Packers play the Dolphins on Oct. 17 at Lambeau Field, and the last time they faced Smith, he returned a kickoff 83 yards in the fourth quarter to help the Bucs rally from an 11-point deficit in a 38-28 win over the Packers last Nov. 8. He also returned four punts for 54 yards, winning the NFC special teams player of the week award a few days later.

Smith, who entered the league as an undrafted free agent from Fresno State in 2008, earned a spot on the NFC Pro Bowl team and All-Pro recognition after returning a punt 70 yards for a touchdown and a kickoff 97 yards for a touchdown and averaging 27.6 yards per kickoff return and 14.1 yards per punt return. For his career, Smith has averaged 28.3 yards on 67 kickoff returns and 12.1 yards on 46 punt returns. He has also lost four fumbles in the past two years, and he fumbled again in preseason.

Smith suffered a concussion against Carolina last Oct. 18 – on a hit by Dante Wesley, who was ejected – and missed the following week’s game against New England. He then suffered a second concussion in December and was placed on injured reserve.

Without Smith, the Packers are set to open regular-season play Sunday at Philadelphia with No. 4 wide receiver Jordy Nelson returning kickoffs and starting cornerback Tramon Williams returning punts.

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includ...=40&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Back
Top Bottom