Dolphins sign receiver after injury to another | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins sign receiver after injury to another

AL R

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
The Dolphins have agreed to a contract with receiver Mitch Mathews, who has played for three NFL teams in the past year, according to multiple sources.

The Dolphins signed Mathews after losing Rashawn Scott to an undisclosed injury. The Dolphins are optimistic Scott will be ready for the start of training camp, according to a source.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...y-jackson/article155085679.html#storylink=cpy

you would think we have enough receivers around without having to sign a guy due to an injury to rashawn scott. guess not.

you would think we have enough receivers around without having to sign a guy due to an injury to rashawn scott. guess not.

Espically considering they only have three more practices next week until training camp.

Matthews is a big target b(6'6) at receiver and has decent hands. If I recall he was a bit old for a 2016 draft class prospect due to his Mormon mission. I believe he's already Miami's oldest receiver. He was someone I wanted Miami to consider as a udfa last year.

Every team has 10/12 receivers in camp, I don't see why people think Miami carrying 11 is too much. Miami has fewer than the Patriots or Packers. If you have 4 qb's throwing, you're going to need bodies at receiver.

What does it matter? Neither one will make the roster, this is just for camp. They probably didn't have to but just wanted to.

I think Matthews has as much talent as any of the 2017 UDFA wr's we have in camp. I don't like his age (26), but he's 6'6, 220 pounds ran a 4.5 , runs decent routes and has solid hands. Yes all of the UDFA's are long shots, but you never know how things work out.

Injuries are going to happen, so better it's someone on the fringe of the roster. Conversely those same guys can least afford to get injured, so best of luck to Scott.

I think we only had 88 or 89 players signed anyway...of a possible 90.

When I say Mathews runs decents routes, I should say for a 6'6 220 pound receiver. He's no Jarvis Landry route wise, but his size and reported 4.5 speed might earn him a spot at the back of an NFL roster. Maybe not Miami's, it would take an incredible camp, but he has some raw skills. My issue with his age (26) is that by the time he refines his skills he will be 28. At the college level he seemed to know how to use his height to his advantage. If nothing else it would be fun to see Mathews, Parker and Julius Thomas in the red zone.

Last edited:
Yes it's funny that some people complain about not keeping players like Chris Hogan, but write of others as just camp fodder. When the 2012 offseason began Hogan was just as much of a long shot as Mathews is now. Today's camp fodder can become tommorow's fish that got away in the blink of an eye. I'm not saying it's a lock that Mathews will even still be on the roster when training camp starts in July, but you never know what people will do when an opportunity presents itself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom