Dolphins Special Teams: 31st in punt return coverage, 32nd in kickoff return coverage | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Special Teams: 31st in punt return coverage, 32nd in kickoff return coverage

because the coaching sucks! its obvious we need a new st coach i mean damn if it wasnt for such a horride ST we wouldnt BARELY gotten past a team as bad as the raiders.. i really hope Tony lays down the hammer on the whole ST and coaching they need to get their act together otherwise we are doomed against new england

The coaching is bad, but it's not like we have a ton of talent. Guys with talent on this team start on offense or defense, with very few exceptions.

Says it all really

Im actually amazed we are not last in punt coverage

Hm. Better then I thought. Not last in all ST categories...

As said, our ST is a really an ad hoc barameter of the team's depth and underscores all the more how remarkable its success is. Our starters are exceeding expectations (with some exceptions) while our scrubbies and the holes in which they put our starters suck.

As we continue to improve through the next draft and FA signing cycle, our ST will no doubt be bolstered by some of this season's more marginal starters. Until then, short of using first stringers, a suggestion I don't at all embrace, it's a sad fact we're gonna have to live with and hope for the best.

btw, we're also ranked 32nd on average kickoff return yards (when we're returning the kickoff)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/b...ence=NFL&year=season_2008&sort=319&timeframe=

I was thinking.. if we're #32 in kickoff return coverage, AND #32 in kickoff returns, our offense & defense is playing with a massive field position handicap.

That would explain why our offense is ranked #8 in yards, but #23 in points. In order to put the ball in the endzone, our offense has to gain a ton of extra yards to overcome the field position handicap.

If we WANT to make the playoffs . . . like everybody wants . . . this stat has gotta get better . . . PERIOD.

As said, our ST is a really an ad hoc barameter of the team's depth and underscores all the more how remarkable its success is. Our starters are exceeding expectations (with some exceptions) while our scrubbies and the holes in which they put our starters suck.

As we continue to improve through the next draft and FA signing cycle, our ST will no doubt be bolstered by some of this season's more marginal starters. Until then, short of using first stringers, a suggestion I don't at all embrace, it's a sad fact we're gonna have to live with and hope for the best.

I think the draft will be a good place to grab a linebacker with the 4th or 5th round pic or just any player in general that wants to contribute.

if not for Cobbs we would look worse than a high school team in special teams.

Is this guy a playmaker or what?

you're exactly right and I think if we are in the hunt for a playoff birth late this season you will see more first stringers playing on important special team plays.

You hate to do that but you have to play with what you have.

They can also adapt a more "safe" coverage for the short term......we know that we can not get down early in games do to a special teams touchdown. We can not rely solely on our throwing game.....we need to keep running the ball. That's how we've won and will continue to win.

you're exactly right and I think if we are in the hunt for a playoff birth late this season you will see more first stringers playing on important special team plays.

You hate to do that but you have to play with what you have.

They can also adapt a more "safe" coverage for the short term......we know that we can not get down early in games do to a special teams touchdown. We can not rely solely on our throwing game.....we need to keep running the ball. That's how we've won and will continue to win.

Does that surprise you? (where've you been lately..keeping the California highways safe?)

I wouldn't be surprise to see one or two special team guys let go this week and bring in some other players.....

Back
Top Bottom