Dolphins Special Teams: 31st in punt return coverage, 32nd in kickoff return coverage

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by normaldude, Nov 17, 2008.

1. normaldude

normaldude Starter

Why are we so universally bad in covering punt & kick returns?

============
    "..The Dolphins are 31st in the NFL in average return yards allowed on punts and 32nd on kickoffs.."

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11111406

2. a1csiriaS

a1csiriaS Well-Known Member

because the coaching sucks! its obvious we need a new st coach i mean damn if it wasnt for such a horride ST we wouldnt BARELY gotten past a team as bad as the raiders.. i really hope Tony lays down the hammer on the whole ST and coaching they need to get their act together otherwise we are doomed against new england

3. Legion

Legion Rookie

The coaching is bad, but it's not like we have a ton of talent. Guys with talent on this team start on offense or defense, with very few exceptions.

4. emeraldfin

emeraldfin Gary Speed RIP Donator

Says it all really

Im actually amazed we are not last in punt coverage

5. Dolphins Own

Dolphins Own Dolphins fan since 2002

Hm. Better then I thought. Not last in all ST categories...

6. normaldude

normaldude Starter

7. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

As said, our ST is a really an ad hoc barameter of the team's depth and underscores all the more how remarkable its success is. Our starters are exceeding expectations (with some exceptions) while our scrubbies and the holes in which they put our starters suck.

As we continue to improve through the next draft and FA signing cycle, our ST will no doubt be bolstered by some of this season's more marginal starters. Until then, short of using first stringers, a suggestion I don't at all embrace, it's a sad fact we're gonna have to live with and hope for the best.

8. normaldude

normaldude Starter

I was thinking.. if we're #32 in kickoff return coverage, AND #32 in kickoff returns, our offense & defense is playing with a massive field position handicap.

That would explain why our offense is ranked #8 in yards, but #23 in points. In order to put the ball in the endzone, our offense has to gain a ton of extra yards to overcome the field position handicap.

9. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 The D will RushYa, Like Moscow Donator

If we WANT to make the playoffs . . . like everybody wants . . . this stat has gotta get better . . . PERIOD.

10. Rich

Rich Seasoned Veteran

11. juniorseau55

juniorseau55 The Finheaven Intimidator

I think the draft will be a good place to grab a linebacker with the 4th or 5th round pic or just any player in general that wants to contribute.

12. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

if not for Cobbs we would look worse than a high school team in special teams.

Is this guy a playmaker or what?

13. Lappy

Lappy Speedwagon:3 am Crew!

you're exactly right and I think if we are in the hunt for a playoff birth late this season you will see more first stringers playing on important special team plays.

You hate to do that but you have to play with what you have.

They can also adapt a more "safe" coverage for the short term......we know that we can not get down early in games do to a special teams touchdown. We can not rely solely on our throwing game.....we need to keep running the ball. That's how we've won and will continue to win.

14. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Does that surprise you? (where've you been lately..keeping the California highways safe?)

15. hellsapoppin

hellsapoppin Seasoned Veteran

I wouldn't be surprise to see one or two special team guys let go this week and bring in some other players.....

16. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

Because somebody has to be 31st and 32nd

:foundout:

17. Predaphin

Predaphin Predator in the Water

Dude, we're so freakin bad on ST, that i'm contemplating on putting our starters there. Let Joey Porter go out there and make a tackle....lol j/k

18. Lappy

Lappy Speedwagon:3 am Crew!

YES IT DOES!!!! :lol:

Sorry I started a new job and it's kept me out of the office a lot, but I was moved positions now again.....moved back to a desk and running a team of 4. So you'll be reading my nonsense more regularly again!

19. fugawzi

fugawzi Scout Team

Our special teams has been HORRIBLE! I don't know what the problem is, or why they can't seem to fix it. Sparano and co. really need to figure out what's going on and FIX IT! Remember the Texans game when they returned that TD on us? Take that away and we probably would have won that game. Same thing almost happened to us yesterday against the Raiders, thank your God that it didn't. That's not counting all the big returns that went against us and set up easy TDs for the opposing team, Denver comes to mind as well as some others. Imagine how much better we would be and how much more in control we would be if we could JUST TACKLE GUYS on punt and kickoff returns.

20. abnguy

abnguy Scout Team

What's scary to me is you Coach Sparano, B.P. and crew are obviously aware of this now. They've done amazing work in a lot of other areas, so they couldn't possibly have ignored the ST. Assuming that they have recognized the problem and have tried to work on it, it's only seemed to get worse.
    I'm totally not blaming them, just saying that we have to think they've tried to fix it with no results. There's probably not much they can do mid season anyway, there isn't exactly top flight personnel waiting to be signed right now.

21. finfan3223

finfan3223 The U

I know thank god for Cobbs. He is quickly becoming one of my favorite players because he does everything:hi5:

22. uga3406

uga3406 Pro Bowler

im not surprised they r ranked that bad