Dolphins Talking trade with KC for Alberts? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Talking trade with KC for Alberts?

I don't see another alternative. We need a LT and he's the best on the market.

They just spent a high draft pick on Martin last year. Move him over and draft a RT in the 3rd or 4th round. I know, it would actually mean properly evaluating and hitting on a mid round pick. But enough with investing high picks AND money in offensive linemen.

I think the market is set actually. He can want a ton of money, but he is not going to get it a year later.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

They just spent a high draft pick on Martin last year. Move him over and draft a RT in the 3rd or 4th round. I know, it would actually mean properly evaluating and hitting on a mid round pick. But enough with investing high picks AND money in offensive linemen.

That is a reckless approach on your part.

I don't see another alternative. We need a LT and he's the best on the market.

Alternatives are drafting one, keeping Martin as our LT or signing a more reasonably priced free agent like Winston. Making our left tackle one our highest paid players is not a goal we should look to aspire too.

The biggest hurdle here is the money. Albert may be better than anyone we would get with a 2nd rounder, but he is a helluva lot more expensive as well. He is going to want a redone contract in the neighborhood of 8 million per season and around the same 16-20 mill range guaranteed. That's a lot of money to spend on a second round pick. Moving a 3, 4, or 5 off-sets that a little bit but not by much.

The ideal move would be to move Martin to LT, draft a LT in rounds 3 or 4 and sign Eric Winston to a deal around 3 mill per season.

I think the market is set actually. He can want a ton of money, but he is not going to get it a year later.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

That is a reckless approach on your part.
i agree martin at LT AND a 3rd rounder at RT.. yikes

That would make me very nervous if I'm Ireland. I wouldn't trust Martin at LT.

Everyone should realize that there is a reason KC franchised him. He's really good.

The problem is that Ireland has been so bad at building our line over the years through the draft or free agency that it does terrify me to have to rely on him on selecting an unknown. So it is a dilemma. Overpay the known quantity, or trust a very spotty record of drafting one.

You cant have a plan based on hope. Hope that one of the top tackels will fall to us isnt a smart move, and trading up isnt either cause then we are using pretty much two picks for a freaking o-lineman

So why not just pay Long a little more and save your pick? I'm not saying we should wait and hope for a lineman to drop, but I was explaining to an earlier poster what the advantage would be. Could be a better talent at a fraction of the cost.

And i agree I would not trade up either

Alternatives are drafting one, keeping Martin as our LT or signing a more reasonably priced free agent like Winston. Making our left tackle one our highest paid players is not a goal we should look to aspire too.

you realize that the draft is a crap shoot right? you think we could draft someone better in the 2nd round? I dont think so, just look at our history

Albert would be fine and I think a better player than Long at this point.

Everyone should realize that there is a reason KC franchised him. He's really good.

Thats great, I have no problem giving up a second rounder for him, either. MY problem is giving Jake Long money to a 28 year old whos never been to the Pro Bowl. I'm no ckparrothead but I would imagine this guy is going to cost a pretty penny. Why not just retain Jake if we are going to spend 8-9 milly on a tackle?

If Ireland can only build a team by overpaying via picks and money, then bait needs to be cut yesterday. They spent a premier draft pick on Jonathan Martin. Don;t tell me a year later he is not good enough to move to LT. Or else you spent a premier draft pick on a non premier position, RT. Draft someone mid rounds and like someone else said, sign Winston or another vet to play tackle.

So why not just pay Long a little more and save your pick? I'm not saying we should wait and hope for a lineman to drop, but I was explaining to an earlier poster what the advantage would be. Could be a better talent at a fraction of the cost.

And i agree I would not trade up either
You can argue that Albert has been better than Long over the last few years.

Back
Top Bottom