Dolphins to meet with Daryn Colledge

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by gafin, Jun 27, 2014.

1. gafin

gafin A True Fan

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/27/report-dolphins-will-meet-with-daryn-colledge/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2014
  2. So Be

So Be A True Fan

3. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Why not? Someone has to be added.

4. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

No problem with kicking the tires and giving him a look.

5. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

"Colledge’s chances of landing with the Dolphins may be helped by the fact that he played for Miami coach Joe Philbin for five years when Philbin was the offensive line coach and offensive coordinator in Green Bay".
    That's the sort of reason why Tony Sparano and Jeff Ireland wanted Marc Colombo to be a Dolphin. Maybe Colledge still has something and can help develop the younger guys.

6. cafinfan408

cafinfan408 Punching Bag

We need a vet for the guys to turn to.. Hopefully not to play

7. Digital

Digital Starter

I like Colledge. He is a decent pass protector and already better than Smith. I bet he outperforms Thomas too. This would be a nice stopgap until Turner is ready to take over and/or we find another OG. Hopefully Smith develops, but this move would buy us time if he doesn't.

I said before that I wanted to pick up a veteran OG. While we passed on the better ones like Beadles or they re-signed with their teams, Colledge seems like one of the better short term fits for us.

Sign him up. Our OL looks bad so far and minus Pouncey we are going to need a veteran IMHO.

8. WVDolphan

WVDolphan A True Fan

I suggested Colledge when he was first released by Arizona a few months ago because he had played in Philbin's system before.

However, the fact that Philbin didn't jump at the chance to get him is not a good sign, especially given that Philbin knows this guy is familiar with the system. If Philbin didn't want him right away it says Philbin didn't think much of him. This is like the QB everyone thought we would sign that played backup at Green Bay.

9. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

I think Colledge's ship has sailed. I doubt he's better then Shelley Smith or even Dallas Thomas at this point.

10. cafinfan408

cafinfan408 Punching Bag

I love how no one is even bringing up Turner.. Wait till the pads come on and his kid starts smacking our linebackers around

11. DUB

DUB Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I think Colledge is most likely the best of bad options at this point. He is a scheme fit and would provide veteran leadership at a minimum. His ceiling would most likely be holding a spot for Pouncey.

12. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

13. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

So far under Hickey visit = offer.

14. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Might as well although I think he is done

15. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

True.

They have to add a veteran body for camp after the Pouncey injury.

16. Mike13

Mike13 I am a golden god

He is not a center though.

17. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

I'm sure he could play it in a pinch, and it could also account for somebody like Shelley Smith playing center.

18. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Yes, it's about having some flexibility also. What happens if we get another OL injury? They will bring either him in or another veteran at some point to add to the young line IMO.

19. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Ha Ha Ha

20. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I did not want to sign him earlier but, things change with Pouncey. IF we want to make a move now instead of waiting for late cuts, he appears to be the best available option. It would allow Garner or Brenner to play center while maintaining depth.

I would still like to trade for Mathis and give our OL a HUGE upgrade but, am dreaming.

21. BIG_FISH_RI

BIG_FISH_RI BIG_FISH_RI

I bet he wont outperform Thomas......
    People are sleeping on the kid. He's good. Just watch..... This will be another I told you so post....

22. spiketex

Southbeach - you were last wrong in 2006 (or was that 1986?), so I respect your opinion. However, my hunch is that we may start by trying Shelly Smith at Center, before going to the Garner and Brenner options. In which case an old experienced Guard like Colledge could make some sense, even if just for depth. If Smith totally stinks it up as a Center, then go to Garner and Brenner...
    I also like your idea of trading for Mathis if healthy. We have the cash up our sleeve to afford him. I like all the young guys we have picked up but O-line experience could come in handy.

23. So Be

So Be A True Fan

What were the others?

One thing to consider is that he has played LG, at least for the 4 years I looked up. I was liking Dallas in between Albert and Pouncey but, now a vet to cover for Garner or Brenner on the blind side makes some sense but, you want an athletic LG who can pull. Then you have to worry about a very young RG to cover for rookie James. it is confusing.

Who should be where at OG?

24. NRA

NRA Roll Gypsy Roll

except for the fact there is no "philbin system'

if anything, there is benton system. there are not to many ,if any, mind boggling differences in a coaches zbs scheme to NOT bring in or TO bring in a player who may or may not have been in it.

its not like players going from a run based offense to the wco.

25. So Be

So Be A True Fan

LOL but, thanks for the exaggeration.

I think Shelly is gonna have his hands full in getting better at a position he knows. Moving him just adds much more than he needs on his plate.

I like Brenner but, strangely enough, we have heard nothing on him so far, even on his strength improvement. Last year, we heard from players and coaches on his being a workout warrior but, nothing this year. Not sure what to think of that.

26. spiketex

We will get a better idea in Training Camp. Some players are going to excite the reporters more than others (eg Olivier Vernon, Jarvis Landry, Dion Jordan, etc). However, Brenner comes across as pretty low key. Dutiful, task oriented and solid but probably not sexy for the reader. Brenner is hardly the Johnny Manziel of the Dolphin O-line. However, if he is stinking it up, I'm sure that we'll hear from Omar or Adam. They excel at communicating bad and very bad news.

I expect him to improve.

27. spiketex

Is he related to the Green Bay Packer Safety, Clinton-Dix?

28. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Playoffs Moderator Finheaven VIP

Latest update on Colledge. I am sure he will get an offer fro Hickey.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...m-adds-player-heat-chatter.html#storylink=cpy

29. Albert Romano

Thanks for the update Daytona, versatility is the key I believe.

30. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

I wonder if the timing of this has more to do with the Pouncey injury or if they didn't like what they saw out of the guards at otas.

31. Albert Romano

It could be some of both, they said they would re-consider a veteran OL after the draft. They have to go into the season with the thought they have done everything they can to improve the OL even though it's tough to do in one season, otherwise shame on them.

32. PHINSfan

PHINSfan FinHeaven VIP

I they like what they see with Colledge, then by all means....sign the guy! He will bring a much needed experience to our young line.

33. phinking

phinking A True Fan

Colledge is washed up. I would prefer Samson Satele who is younger and can play both G and C. I still think the Parcells/Ireland regime made a huge mistake letting him go.

34. damaster21

damaster21 PSN: FatalViper

Of course you do.

35. jnewmant

jnewmant Hit folks and like it!

so how will pouncey's roster spot work if he goes on the pup? Is he counted towards the 53 man roster or is he exempt? I would almost rather let the young guys take their lumps and earn their keep instead of signing colledge if we have to cut somebody that's ascending to fit him on the roster.

36. Albert Romano

He will not count against the roster until he comes off the PUP list.

37. PHINSfan

PHINSfan FinHeaven VIP

You got your wish!! Satele is also coming in Monday for a try out! I would not be opposed to getting both!

38. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Yea because I think everyone is done, my bad I forgot all these teams are lining up to sign him.
    He had a visits with such stellar oline teams as the Raiders and Rams in march without any contract offer then the Eagles kicked the tires in May with no contract.
    Im sure there will be a bidding war for his services. Lets not also forget he was cut the Cardinals who have crap at guard but yea me saying he is done is so far fetched. I meant outside of Johnathon Cooper at guard

39. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Right now the Cardinals don't even have Cooper at guard because his broken leg is not fully healed.

Colledge was released because of his salary cap figure of almost $8 million.

40. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

And nobody has signed him to this point because of his old salary cap figure? Makes perfect sense. Im pretty sure the salary cap wasn't the only reason.
    He was a solid player when he first got there but he has badly regressed. Still might be worthwhile to sign because guys like Garner or Brenner are really no better.
    Not even sure Smith is a better player

41. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

I didn't say he hasn't signed with anyone because of his old salary cap figure.

Colledge salary cap figure was not the only reason for his release. Like he said in an interview, the Cardinals wanted to go younger and cheaper.

42. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

And possibly better . If Colledge was playing at a high level last year teams would have jumped on him once released. I mean why pay top shelf for a middle of the pack guard at best.

43. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Last year, he gave up 2 sacks, 8 hits, and 19 hurries, with a bad run grade of -5.7. In 2012, he gave up 4- 3- and 14, with a run grade of -6.9. How is that badly regressing?

Chances are he wants more than teams were willing to give before the draft. We shall see who comes back into the picture now.

44. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Maybe maybe not. Travelle Wharton was, according to ProFootball Focus, a top 5 OG last season and he has yet to sign with anyone. Sometimes it's the teams and sometimes it's the player being the reason why someone remains unsigned. Many veterans would like to wait until training camp to sign a contract as to avoid OTAs and mini-camp.

45. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Im speaking from his first year in Arizona and In which is was among the better guards in the run game. As for PFF grades I could care less esp since PFF said we had an average line last year.
    In 2011 he played well for Arizona over the past two years not so much. He had a visit back in may and still went unsigned and that was only one visit. If he signs it will be vet minimum

46. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Wharton is contemplating retirement and hasn't took a visit yet. Colledge on the other hand has visited 3 teams and not had one contract offer

47. Geforce

Geforce FinHeaven VIP

Which means what exactly? Like Southbeach2 said, maybe he wants more than what teams were willing to pay. Maybe he wants a chance to start and not be a backup.

48. So Be

So Be A True Fan

As you say, he was much better on the run in 2011 but, worse on the pass with 3 sacks, 4 hits, and 24 hurries. Did not know you were a big Colledge fan in watching his play the last 3 years or, are you basing that on something else?

Are you a closet PFF fan? JK/LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
  49. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I watch alor of football throughout the year using NFL rewind, which I much prefer to ripoffs like Sunday ticket which makes u channel surf during the games. Im just wondering do u ever base any opinion on a player off anything other than PFF. I don't think I have to be a College fan to give an honest opinion on him. That's all anybody on this board can actually do since none of us are professional scouts.

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

if he wants more than they are willing to pay, he still should have received a low ball offer from one of the three teams he has visited. News of contract offers isn't exactly a secret these days.

50. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I watch a Dolphins game, and see the good and bad in the heat of the moment. Then, talk to friends on their opinions, see the reports and opinions on this forum, which I sometimes dispute/debate. Then, I watch the game again, focusing mostly on the OL play, and assorted others. Then, I look up what PFF has to say, as they have watched every play of every player, which I have no time to do. I sometimes disagree but, defer to them as they have spent 10 times the time and effort as me to watch individual play. My opinions do change, as anyone's should with the more they learn.

They do not watch the team, the O, the D, or how players have played together. They only grade and rank individual play, and are the best out there. I post what they have to say over my own opinion, unless I disagree, because they have much more info than myself.

Some here believe they know more because they watch the games. How is that possible on individual play in watching the game, as opposed to over 10 hours of watching film? It's not, and I know of no one else who puts in that time and effort.

On Colledge, he played over 3,000 snaps in the last 3 years. How many did you see?