Dolphins to meet with Daryn Colledge | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins to meet with Daryn Colledge

I'm sure he could play it in a pinch, and it could also account for somebody like Shelley Smith playing center.

Yes, it's about having some flexibility also. What happens if we get another OL injury? They will bring either him in or another veteran at some point to add to the young line IMO.

I did not want to sign him earlier but, things change with Pouncey. IF we want to make a move now instead of waiting for late cuts, he appears to be the best available option. It would allow Garner or Brenner to play center while maintaining depth.

I would still like to trade for Mathis and give our OL a HUGE upgrade but, am dreaming.

I like Colledge. He is a decent pass protector and already better than Smith. I bet he outperforms Thomas too. This would be a nice stopgap until Turner is ready to take over and/or we find another OG. Hopefully Smith develops, but this move would buy us time if he doesn't.

I said before that I wanted to pick up a veteran OG. While we passed on the better ones like Beadles or they re-signed with their teams, Colledge seems like one of the better short term fits for us.

Sign him up. Our OL looks bad so far and minus Pouncey we are going to need a veteran IMHO.

I bet he wont outperform Thomas......
People are sleeping on the kid. He's good. Just watch..... This will be another I told you so post....

I did not want to sign him earlier but, things change with Pouncey. IF we want to make a move now instead of waiting for late cuts, he appears to be the best available option. It would allow Garner or Brenner to play center while maintaining depth.

I would still like to trade for Mathis and give our OL a HUGE upgrade but, am dreaming.

Southbeach - you were last wrong in 2006 (or was that 1986?), so I respect your opinion. However, my hunch is that we may start by trying Shelly Smith at Center, before going to the Garner and Brenner options. In which case an old experienced Guard like Colledge could make some sense, even if just for depth. If Smith totally stinks it up as a Center, then go to Garner and Brenner...
I also like your idea of trading for Mathis if healthy. We have the cash up our sleeve to afford him. I like all the young guys we have picked up but O-line experience could come in handy.

I bet he wont outperform Thomas......
People are sleeping on the kid. He's good. Just watch..... This will be another I told you so post....

What were the others?

One thing to consider is that he has played LG, at least for the 4 years I looked up. I was liking Dallas in between Albert and Pouncey but, now a vet to cover for Garner or Brenner on the blind side makes some sense but, you want an athletic LG who can pull. Then you have to worry about a very young RG to cover for rookie James. it is confusing.

Who should be where at OG?

I suggested Colledge when he was first released by Arizona a few months ago because he had played in Philbin's system before

except for the fact there is no "philbin system'

if anything, there is benton system. there are not to many ,if any, mind boggling differences in a coaches zbs scheme to NOT bring in or TO bring in a player who may or may not have been in it.

its not like players going from a run based offense to the wco.

Southbeach - you were last wrong in 2006 (or was that 1986?), so I respect your opinion. However, my hunch is that we may start by trying Shelly Smith at Center, before going to the Garner and Brenner options. In which case an old experienced Guard like Colledge could make some sense, even if just for depth. If Smith totally stinks it up as a Center, then go to Garner and Brenner...
I also like your idea of trading for Mathis if healthy. We have the cash up our sleeve to afford him. I like all the young guys we have picked up but O-line experience could come in handy.

LOL but, thanks for the exaggeration.

I think Shelly is gonna have his hands full in getting better at a position he knows. Moving him just adds much more than he needs on his plate.

I like Brenner but, strangely enough, we have heard nothing on him so far, even on his strength improvement. Last year, we heard from players and coaches on his being a workout warrior but, nothing this year. Not sure what to think of that.

I like Brenner but, strangely enough, we have heard nothing on him so far, even on his strength improvement. Last year, we heard from players and coaches on his being a workout warrior but, nothing this year. Not sure what to think of that.
We will get a better idea in Training Camp. Some players are going to excite the reporters more than others (eg Olivier Vernon, Jarvis Landry, Dion Jordan, etc). However, Brenner comes across as pretty low key. Dutiful, task oriented and solid but probably not sexy for the reader. Brenner is hardly the Johnny Manziel of the Dolphin O-line. However, if he is stinking it up, I'm sure that we'll hear from Omar or Adam. They excel at communicating bad and very bad news.

I expect him to improve.

Latest update on Colledge. I am sure he will get an offer fro Hickey.

2 p.m. update: The Dolphins have scheduled a Monday visit with veteran starting guard Daryn Colledge, who would provide depth and versatility on a unit still stinging from the loss of center Mike Pouncey.

Under new general manager Dennis Hickey, the Dolphins have attempted to sign every veteran free agent who has visited.

Colledge --- who has played guard, tackle and even center on a limited basis during his career --- has started 124 of his 128 NFL games over his eight years, including every game the past six seasons.

Colledge, 32, played his first five seasons with Green Bay and his past three with Arizona. Last year, he played left guard, and Pro Football Focus rated him 45th of 81 qualifying guards --- 32nd in pass protection and 53rd as a run blocker. Colledge, who allowed two sacks last season, knows Dolphins coach Joe Philbin well from their time together in Green Bay.
The Dolphins say Sam Brenner is their backup center, but Nate Garner is among several other options to fill in for Pouncey. So is first-team right guard Shelley Smith, who has taken snaps at center during the offseason program.

If the Dolphins decide to move Smith to center, Colledge could play guard. It's possible Colledge also could take snaps at center.

Dallas Thomas has taken most of the first-team snaps at left guard during the offseason program, with rookie Billy Turner backing him up.

Colledge's versatility makes him a sensible fit regarding of what permutation the Dolphins choose to replace Pouncey until his return.
Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...m-adds-player-heat-chatter.html#storylink=cpy

Thanks for the update Daytona, versatility is the key I believe.

I wonder if the timing of this has more to do with the Pouncey injury or if they didn't like what they saw out of the guards at otas.

Back
Top Bottom