Dolphins too cautious with Lamar Miller?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Aug 21, 2013.

?

Are Dolphins being too cautious with RB Lamar Miller?

1. Yes

31 vote(s)
    33.0%
  2. No

54 vote(s)
    57.4%
  3. Undecided

9 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

read more:http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/63028/dolphins-too-cautious-with-lamar-miller

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2013
  2. Bumpus

Bumpus Are you gonna drink that? Administrator Finheaven VIP

I think he'll be fine. RB's don't need 15-25 carries/game in the preseason to be ready.

That being said, I expect him to get more work in the third week (4th for us) - before the starters get basically shut down last preseason game.

3. Phinadict

Phinadict And away he goes...

I think our coaches are being cautious and protecting the skill players from taking unnecessary hits.

Kadiddlehopper likes this.
  4. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I cant really say, hell from some reports the rb job is still up for competition. All I can say is if Thomas is the starter than Miller is not that good.
    I think Miller is better than Thomas

5. truedolfan57

truedolfan57 A True Fan

I think the coaches are confident in the running game. it's pass blocking and qb/wr timing that need the most work. just my guess.

6. susser2000

susser2000 A True Fan

I don't think there is such a thing as being TOO cautious during the preseason games. They can give him all the reps he wants during practice, but if they don't want him getting hurt during preseason games, I'm fine with him only taking a few carries. I think they really want to see who the third string running back will be and they want to see what Thomas can do in game situations.

7. iambanned

iambanned Banned Hammered

If I was an opposing D-coordinator, my unsophisticated inclination would be to run-blitz every play that Miller is on the field. If it's a run, you'll stuff it, and if it's a pass, then you're making a much weaker blocker try and protect the QB for as long as it takes for the QB to get a throw off, which probably results in either a busted offensive play if not a turnover.

Right now, having DT in the backfield truly creates 50/50 uncertainty on whether the play will be a pass or a run. Until Miller shows that he can be even slightly useful as a blocker, he's a liability to offensive scheming, in my unsophisticated opinion.

8. Phindog

Phindog A True Fan

Dolphins too cautious with Lamar Miller?

By James Walker | ESPN.com

MIAMI -- All offseason Lamar Miller has been in the spotlight.

The 2012 fourth-round pick is pegged to replace veteran Reggie Bush as the Miami Dolphins’ starting tailback. Miller showed plenty of flashes last year when he led Miami with 4.9 yards per carry.

But we haven't seen much of Miller during the preseason. The Dolphins have only given Miller nine carries in three preseason games. This is a player who could get as many as 20 carries per game in the regular season.

Are the Dolphins being too cautious with Miller?

Miami is expecting a breakout year from Miller as a first-time starter. However, it's hard to gauge where Miller currently stands when he averages just three carries per preseason game. Also keep in mind that Miller has just 51 carries in his NFL career.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/63028/dolphins-too-cautious-with-lamar-miller

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2013
  9. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

Of course they weren't "too cautious." They went all in with Miller when they released Bush. How was that "cautious"? Stupid...yes....cautious...no.

10. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

Unless Miller runs past the blitzers and get a quick dump off pass and takes it 50 yards. I don't think blitzing is as effective against rb's as you're making it out to be. If it was teams would blitz every down.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4

11. Blankiehead

Blankiehead Active Member

In the Texans game, he had two long runs that were pulled back by penalties, so he has been productive. I think he is doing just fine, but there are other players to evaluate and putting mileage on a position like running back for a preseason game isn't necessarily wise.

12. Irishfinfan1

Irishfinfan1 Well-Known Member

Miller will be fine, no need to give him too much action in pre season.

13. El Calebra

El Calebra Fan Finheaven VIP Donator

Is there any possibility that Thomas has improved and is completely healthy? IMO, DT has looked the best of all the backs this pre-season.

I hope so. But I think this will be a lot like Ronnie and Ricky. Thomas has been to good so far to let get cold on the bench. Both players get plenty snaps and Jonas Gray makes the team and contributes.

14. footsteps_falco

footsteps_falco Damn SugarBowl Finheaven VIP Donator

Both players seem prone to mistakes from what I can tell (not a football expert by any means though). I have watched Thomas make mistakes in his protection assignments in the past, and ive also seen miller make some drops in the open field that he shouldn't.
    It could very well be either guys job at this point, or maybe they do share more then we think. they both bring something to the table. thomas surprises me with his ability to catch and run and then disappoints me in short yardage and blitz pickup when I think he should excel? Miller actually surprises me in picking up positive yards short yardage situations or goal line and then comes back and disappoints me falling down to arm tackles or dropping a screen or dump off. Both excite and disappoint. my 2 cents in short is they do well in areas you wouldn't think and then make mistakes in execution in areas they should excel. feel free to correct me if you disagree

15. sm0kinfins

sm0kinfins Adults are obsolete children

I stopped reading at "James Walker"...

16. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

Both Thomas and Miller will get a significant amount of snaps.

17. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

I think it could potentially end up being a 60/40 situation where Lamar Miller gets a bit more snaps but both players are vital to the offense in different ways. In the event that this happens, it also means that Lamar Miller wasn't the potentially 1,500 yard back that we hoped him to be.

18. Krush

Krush Finaholic Donator

Your Job would be in Jeopardy the week of the season, because once those blitzs are controlled, then the TE's will have a field day in your defensive secondary.

19. Krush

Krush Finaholic Donator

Miller will be Okay, he does seems to fall by arm tackles though. but once yo see him rip off a 30 yard run everything will be forgiven.

20. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

Not worth losing to an injury, I'm ok with it.

21. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

I wouldn't doubt they have him on a pitch count, so to speak. No reason to do a Dustin Keller to your
    starting RB.

22. jvw

jvw Starter

I don't see him getting 20-25 carries a game, he won't hold up physically.... I see him getting 15-18 touches around 10-12 carries. The way Bush was used in NO

23. sirvmac

sirvmac Well-Known Member

Nope. They knew what they had from him from the get go. He was turning heads from the start.
    For a running back, imo always better to keep them fresh.
    The only questions were knowing the playbook and the passing game stuff.
    Working out with Gore this offseason is awesome and it's a great sign that he wants to improve.

24. MiamiMuss

MiamiMuss A True Fan

It's a long season we have 3 rb's.No reason not to keep all of them fresh.

25. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator

I understand what you are saying but also they O line needs to gel with the running backs to understand there moves and habits so they can be a great unit together.

26. spiketex

spiketex Kiko, El Bravo 47 - the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Let's see how he goes before anointing him the next Adrian Peterson. I actually like the idea of mixing it up so that Danny Thomas can give Lamar a breather. The fact that Philbin and Sherman have both gone out of their way to repeatedly talk up DT, is interesting. I don't see Philbin as a pathological liar like Belichick or Jim Harbaugh, or a buffoon like Rex Ryan, so why has he repeatedly talked up DT? Maybe because there isn't a big gap between the two RBs.

27. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

I don't know what philbin is thinking, but I can tell you that if Thomas runs like he has shown he can, with aggression, he could for sure be solid. I just think his ceiling is much lower than Miller's.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4

28. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Miller should be a star early. Lots of burst runs at the hash marks. That's been his history. He stunned Ohio State in the opener two years ago early in the first quarter. I suspect there will be plenty of posts around here saying we're better off without Reggie.

Later in the year is the concern, once opponents key on his tendencies and weaknesses, and the shoulder problem is more of an issue, given sheer probability of taking a hit in that area.

29. goulds

goulds Well-Known Member

I agree and was ecstatic to get Miller in the 4th round. My only concern was if he would be able to up his play to the NFL level. Now that i see he has i just cant wait to see him get a significant number of carries over the course of an entire season

DT reminds me of the old Packer RB Dorsey Levens. Big reliable and can run, block catch. He was an every down back and always there in the flat when Farve needed him

I think we have a nice affordable stable of backs going. It wouldnt surprise me to see LM have a freak of a year like Chris Johnson several years ago

30. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

How did this get put up here today??

31. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

Every time a poll gets a new response its thread gets backed up to the top of the list even if a there's no new responses in that thread. That's why most posters when they create a new poll, give it a time limit like a few hours, days or weeks. Seems like someone had a LOT of time on their hands to search for this thread and put vote on it.

32. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Somebody went back and voted for some reason. Closed the poll.