Dolphins too cautious with Lamar Miller? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins too cautious with Lamar Miller?

Are Dolphins being too cautious with RB Lamar Miller?

• Yes

Votes: 31 33.0%
  • No

Votes: 54 57.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 9 9.6%

• Total voters

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
MIAMI -- All offseason Lamar Miller has been in the spotlight.

The 2012 fourth-round pick is pegged to replace veteran Reggie Bush as the Miami Dolphins’ starting tailback. Miller showed plenty of flashes last year when he led Miami with 4.9 yards per carry.

But we haven't seen much of Miller during the preseason. The Dolphins have only given Miller nine carries in three preseason games. This is a player who could get as many as 20 carries per game in the regular season.

Are the Dolphins being too cautious with Miller?

Miami is expecting a breakout year from Miller as a first-time starter. However, it's hard to gauge where Miller currently stands when he averages just three carries per preseason game. Also keep in mind that Miller has just 51 carries in his NFL career.
read more:http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/63028/dolphins-too-cautious-with-lamar-miller

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he'll be fine. RB's don't need 15-25 carries/game in the preseason to be ready.

That being said, I expect him to get more work in the third week (4th for us) - before the starters get basically shut down last preseason game.

I think our coaches are being cautious and protecting the skill players from taking unnecessary hits.

I cant really say, hell from some reports the rb job is still up for competition. All I can say is if Thomas is the starter than Miller is not that good.
I think Miller is better than Thomas

I think the coaches are confident in the running game. it's pass blocking and qb/wr timing that need the most work. just my guess.

I don't think there is such a thing as being TOO cautious during the preseason games. They can give him all the reps he wants during practice, but if they don't want him getting hurt during preseason games, I'm fine with him only taking a few carries. I think they really want to see who the third string running back will be and they want to see what Thomas can do in game situations.

If I was an opposing D-coordinator, my unsophisticated inclination would be to run-blitz every play that Miller is on the field. If it's a run, you'll stuff it, and if it's a pass, then you're making a much weaker blocker try and protect the QB for as long as it takes for the QB to get a throw off, which probably results in either a busted offensive play if not a turnover.

Right now, having DT in the backfield truly creates 50/50 uncertainty on whether the play will be a pass or a run. Until Miller shows that he can be even slightly useful as a blocker, he's a liability to offensive scheming, in my unsophisticated opinion.

By James Walker | ESPN.com

The 2012 fourth-round pick is pegged to replace veteran Reggie Bush as the Miami Dolphins’ starting tailback. Miller showed plenty of flashes last year when he led Miami with 4.9 yards per carry.

But we haven't seen much of Miller during the preseason. The Dolphins have only given Miller nine carries in three preseason games. This is a player who could get as many as 20 carries per game in the regular season.

Miami is expecting a breakout year from Miller as a first-time starter. However, it's hard to gauge where Miller currently stands when he averages just three carries per preseason game. Also keep in mind that Miller has just 51 carries in his NFL career.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/63028/dolphins-too-cautious-with-lamar-miller

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course they weren't "too cautious." They went all in with Miller when they released Bush. How was that "cautious"? Stupid...yes....cautious...no.

If I was an opposing D-coordinator, my unsophisticated inclination would be to run-blitz every play that Miller is on the field. If it's a run, you'll stuff it, and if it's a pass, then you're making a much weaker blocker try and protect the QB for as long as it takes for the QB to get a throw off, which probably results in either a busted offensive play if not a turnover.

Right now, having DT in the backfield truly creates 50/50 uncertainty on whether the play will be a pass or a run. Until Miller shows that he can be even slightly useful as a blocker, he's a liability to offensive scheming, in my unsophisticated opinion.

Unless Miller runs past the blitzers and get a quick dump off pass and takes it 50 yards. I don't think blitzing is as effective against rb's as you're making it out to be. If it was teams would blitz every down.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4

In the Texans game, he had two long runs that were pulled back by penalties, so he has been productive. I think he is doing just fine, but there are other players to evaluate and putting mileage on a position like running back for a preseason game isn't necessarily wise.

I cant really say, hell from some reports the rb job is still up for competition. All I can say is if Thomas is the starter than Miller is not that good.
I think Miller is better than Thomas

Is there any possibility that Thomas has improved and is completely healthy? IMO, DT has looked the best of all the backs this pre-season.

Miller will be fine, no need to give him too much action in pre season.

I hope so. But I think this will be a lot like Ronnie and Ricky. Thomas has been to good so far to let get cold on the bench. Both players get plenty snaps and Jonas Gray makes the team and contributes.

Both players seem prone to mistakes from what I can tell (not a football expert by any means though). I have watched Thomas make mistakes in his protection assignments in the past, and ive also seen miller make some drops in the open field that he shouldn't.
It could very well be either guys job at this point, or maybe they do share more then we think. they both bring something to the table. thomas surprises me with his ability to catch and run and then disappoints me in short yardage and blitz pickup when I think he should excel? Miller actually surprises me in picking up positive yards short yardage situations or goal line and then comes back and disappoints me falling down to arm tackles or dropping a screen or dump off. Both excite and disappoint. my 2 cents in short is they do well in areas you wouldn't think and then make mistakes in execution in areas they should excel. feel free to correct me if you disagree

By James Walker | ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/63028/dolphins-too-cautious-with-lamar-miller

I stopped reading at "James Walker"...

Back
Top Bottom