Dolphins’ Walt Aikens switching from safety to cornerback | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins’ Walt Aikens switching from safety to cornerback

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Walt-Aikens-300x282.png

Couldn't be worse than FS.

I had the unfortunate view of Blake Bortles making Aikens look like he had no football awareness.

Play after play it seemed.

We're in a nice spot at corner. Experimenting won't hurt anyone

I think Aikens would be a liability as a CB. Too high hipped and can't turn fast enough.

That's what the Iggles thought about Eric Rowe until he got traded to a competent organization. He wasn't a star last year by any stretch, but he was effective in how they used him. Aikens is a similar player/athlete. He needs to jam at the line and have his role limited, it's amazing how much good coaching can mask deficiencies. We haven't had a good DC in a very long time, hopefully Burke can change that.

I think Aikens would be a liability as a CB. Too high hipped and can't turn fast enough.
He also played corner in college and thus has much more experience there than safety, like others said, how much worse could he be there?

Another hot take that will be just another one and done .... soooo about all those injured players we have man?

Aikens was a good zone corner prospect when we drafted him. Doesn't hurt to try but this also seems like he's on his last leg to make the team.

Well that depends on how much you value special teams. Jimmy Johnson split a team into 3 parts offense, defense and special teams. Larry Izzo was the first player to make his team as a special teams player under Jimmy Johnson . Izzo was later picked by Bill Billicheat until Izzo retired I believe.

Well that depends on how much you value special teams. Jimmy Johnson split a team into 3 parts offense, defense and special teams. Larry Izzo was the first player to make his team as a special teams player under Jimmy Johnson . Izzo was later picked by Bill Billicheat until Izzo retired I believe.

Aikens was a good zone corner prospect when we drafted him. Doesn't hurt to try but this also seems like he's on his last leg to make the team.

I think when you consider both these things it makes sense to move him to corner instead... he's got size, physicality, and isn't a terrible athlete like some people will say...
( http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=91246&draftyear=2014&genpos=CB ) are his hips stiff? yeah kinda, but its not like if we play him it will be in the slot often, and if he does, it's essentially michael thomas out there with plus coverage ability... he is a good special teams player which I think we will value.

Maxwell, Howard, Lippett, McCain, Tankersley, Aikens

Jones, Allen, McDonald, Thomas

It's a crowded secondary already... regardless of where aikens is position wise, he's a specials guy. Maybe the coaches think he would be more effective at corner, and could allow for someone else to step up at safety- like hendy? Otherwise our next corner is probably Lafayette Pitts, who is more of a slot most likely... I bet we ps him unless he balls out

Back
Top Bottom