Dolphins Will Be Better off Without CB Richard Marshall | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Will Be Better off Without CB Richard Marshall

he wasnt good last year? looked pretty solid to me, the big weak spot was nolan carroll and a lack of a pass rush

What you will see in there though is a very STRONG suggestion that Dimitri Patterson is the same type of player with the same weaknesses, and an implication that the Dolphins could be making the same mistake if they play him primarily on the outside.

I agree, I however think based on their play this preseason that Patterson was/is the lesser of two evils.

CK, has there ever been a write up done on how Coyle seems to be able to get more out of DB's than other coaches? We hear quite a bit on this forum that Coyle is a DB guru but I wonder if there are some solid stats out there to back it up. One player who comes to mind in particular is Gebril Wilson. He was horrible as a Raider and a Fin but IIRC he became a lot better when he signed with Cinci and played under Coyle.

My buddy, a long-suffering Cardinals season ticket holder in Glendale from the 50yd line vantage point informed me when we signed him that he was an inadequate corner and a decent nickel for the Cards. As he's the same one whohad told me that we dodged a bullet being outbid for Pace as he was only playing for his contract year, I trusted his assessment then which obviously has proved to be spot-on.

I remember u bringing this up a few times and he was definitely spot on. I always think its quite telling when a team lets a player go without a fight because a contract like that could have been matched fairly easy with creative capologist. I mean we did let Long walk but we definitely bid to get him back. Sometimes teams can be wrong but two teams in a row gave up Marshall in free agency without a whimper

sorry I didnt read the entire article CK, but he has had very good grades from a nickel from what I have seen.

"CB Dimitri Patterson is rated as the 47th best CB in the NFL according to @PFF. 54.2% of passes get completed on him in 415 snaps

CB Dimitri Patterson, who exclusively plays the nickel, has allowed 2 TDs this season. Has a 92.7 QB rating when throwing his way"

that is before we picked him up but still are actual grades

I think you need to read the article if you're going to comment on it.

I agree, I however think based on their play this preseason that Patterson was/is the lesser of two evils.

CK, has there ever been a write up done on how Coyle seems to be able to get more out of DB's than other coaches? We hear quite a bit on this forum that Coyle is a DB guru but I wonder if there are some solid stats out there to back it up. One player who comes to mind in particular is Gebril Wilson. He was horrible as a Raider and a Fin but IIRC he became a lot better when he signed with Cinci and played under Coyle.

He seems to be able to resurrect safeties that are dead in the water but his history with corners is a little more hard to read.

I remember u bringing this up a few times and he was definitely spot on. I always think its quite telling when a team lets a player go without a fight because a contract like that could have been matched fairly easy with creative capologist. I mean we did let Long walk but we definitely bid to get him back. Sometimes teams can be wrong but two teams in a row gave up Marshall in free agency without a whimper

Richard Marshall himself admitted that the Cardinals were the only other team after him in free agency and their offer was something like a 1 year deal for $3 million.

That was a big red flag.

Honestly when he signed I thought they were signing him to play safety/nickel and I thought it could be a good signing on that basis. I remember Awsi Dooger writing up a big opinion disagreement with the signing saying it's exactly the kind of trap signing that bad teams fall into for the wrong reasons. He was assuming (and he ended up right) that Marshall was being signed as a regular corner.

Since when. If he is such a solid corner why do teams keep letting him go. 5 nfl teams have decided he was not worth keeping but somehow he is a solid corner,
He could go and have a great year but there is not one shred of evidence that Patterson is a solid nfl corner.

And one of those teams gave him a mighty good contract. He also had one very good year. Anyway, if his strength is the slot, play him the slot. It's not like we don't need a slot CB.

Im thinking that Taylor being back in action had something to do with this, and expect him to start by the bye, maybe sooner.

I'm also wondering if Patterson is completely safe, depending on final cuts or maybe a trade or, at least re-doing his contract.

Richard Marshall himself admitted that the Cardinals were the only other team after him in free agency and their offer was something like a 1 year deal for $3 million.

That was a big red flag.

Honestly when he signed I thought they were signing him to play safety/nickel and I thought it could be a good signing on that basis. I remember Awsi Dooger writing up a big opinion disagreement with the signing saying it's exactly the kind of trap signing that bad teams fall into for the wrong reasons. He was assuming (and he ended up right) that Marshall was being signed as a regular corner.

As a nickel and backup safety I feel he did have value in fact more than I feel Patterson would have but neither player should be making one dollar over 2.5 million a year.
when his contract details came up I was like wow did we outbid ourselves by that much. Reminded me of the Wilford signing in that as a cheap signing u see possible value but hell that's starter's money.

And one of those teams gave him a mighty good contract.

Then decided it was better to eat that contract before the first season was up. No team just takes a cap hit like that for a good player.
That would have been like us cutting Richard Marshall last year.
I think sometimes people will spin things anyway they can to make them feel better.

We trade Davis and start Marshall so Marshall was playing much better than Davis. we sign Nannee and Chad Johnson and of course they will play better with us.
We lose Keller and hell we will be as good at TE as last year which damn sure wasn't good lol

Patterson will be fine as a starter next to Grimes. Not surprised that Marshall got cut because there was no way they were going to keep both of them at those high salaries.

I will also pass on reading the Bleacher Report, not a good website at all.

At practice today the Dolphins have been doing exactly what I figured and what I stated in the article.

In nickel packages, Dimitri Patterson is moving to his most natural spot in the slot, while Nolan Carroll comes on and plays the boundary.

Back
Top Bottom