Dolphins winners and losers of the 2017 draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins winners and losers of the 2017 draft

A couple 5ths are no threat to Phillips. But this does put Phillips on notice for sure

Ha I thought this was going to be an article arguing that the Dolphins were simultaneously winners and losers in this year's draft.

This was a great draft for us. Wether we got lucky or just improved in the picking department it doesn't matter today we got players at positions that we really needed. I have watched our drafts for years and for the most part they have been less than spectacular with Jimmy Johnson probably doing the best job. I am not claiming even then with Jimmy or this year we are the best in the draft biz but it certainly feels like a improvement. This roster had glaring holes on it last year at this time. Currently the offensive line and linebacker areas could still use some additional depth but it still feels much better than last year at this time. IMO

A couple 5ths are no threat to Phillips. But this does put Phillips on notice for sure

He was put on notice when he lost his starting job to Earl Mitchell the last month of the season followed by an offseason where we showed pretty strong interest in Poe and Hankins.

He was put on notice when he lost his starting job to Earl Mitchell the last month of the season

Ya I think it's safe to say it's his last chance to start next to Suh.

If you can't be at least good with Suh and Wake on the same D-line, you're the issue lol

I personally think one of those DTs will challenge for his spot. He's so inconsistent it's sickening!!

Cutting down on those offsides would be a good start for Phillips. I don't remember the exact number of pre-snap defensive penalties for us last year but it was definitely atrocious.

It would be nice if we had misi as a backup this year. That would actually look like an NFL LB group.

Cutting down on those offsides would be a good start for Phillips. I don't remember the exact number of pre-snap defensive penalties for us last year but it was definitely atrocious.

Suh and Phillips both had 8 pre-snap penalties.

Phillips: Encroachment (5), Neutral Zone Infraction (2), Defensive Offside (1)

Suh: Encroachment (3), Neutral Zone Infraction (3), Defensive Offside (2)

A lot of those were Suh.

I'd say that both of the late round guys, Godchaux and Taylor, are pretty raw. If Phillips can up his snap count this year, he's still in the driver's seat. But honestly, if he doesn't up his snap count considerably, he will be replaced next year by someone ... regardless of whether that person is on our roster this year or not.

Free safety is the only thing we lost on with Marcus Williams gone before our second pick.

Misi is a loser? A professional actually wrote this article? Misi is going nowhere considering the pay cut he took and will play maybe 10 snaps a game - perfect for him.

With the draft concluded, the Dolphins’ roster is almost set for the upcoming year. Since the team spent most of the draft addressing holes on the roster, there are some clear winners and losers following the addition of the new players.

Winners

Matt Burke

Losers

Jordan Phillips

http://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/02/dolphins-winners-and-losers-of-the-2017-draft/

Jordan Phillips is not affected. It seriously would be like saying Kenny Still is on Notice because we drafted a WR in the 7th. We needed depth, so we drafted it. He is the starter, and expected to play more than the 53% of snaps then he did last year, but there is still a very % of snaps that need to be filled. We cut Earl Mitchel and Gase said he is expecting Phillips to take a lot of the snaps. The fact is we had zero DTs on an active roster last season behind Suh and Phillips.

I agree, but let us not forget, a 5th round smallish LB was not going to be much of a challenge for Del Rio, until Zach Thomas became one of the main faces on the defense, and Del Rio became unemployed.

Davon Godchaux in particular is going to make life very tough for Phillips... Worst case, it will light a fire under him, and he will finally reach the high expectations many expected from him.

Back
Top Bottom