Dolphins working on trade for offensive tackle Branden Albert

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Apr 17, 2013.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

I will believe it when I see it. I have little faith in anything put out there by Omar.

Read more:http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...phins-0418-20130417,0,4041252.story?track=rss

2. Thumper1016

Thumper1016 A True Fan

I just don't see the logic in this move. Albert is going to want big money. Why not just draft a tackle in the second round, it would be a lot less money.

3. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

4. UCF Nation

UCF Nation Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how i feel about this.

5. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

Feel bad - Albert improves the offense immensely but why not just trade up and get a really good linemen in the draft on the rookie pay scale if you want to get someone so desperately. Ugh.

6. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

The logic is sound. You don't want to use TWO PICKS FOR A LEFT TACKLE.....when you can use ONE PICK FOR A LEFT TACKLE. Simple reasoning really. It actually mind boggles that anyone can't reason that one out. ;)

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

Thumper it's common sense. At pick 54 there will be no STARTING LEFT TACKLES AVAILABLE. And to get one of the top 3 it will cost use #12 AND #54. No brainer.:bobdole:

7. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

I completely agree, I REALLY hope this does not come to fruition. If we're going to sign any vet out there, ink John Abraham. A LT is not worth crippling the cap.

8. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

I TOTALLY agree. It would be the stupidest move possible. THIS is the smoke screen everyone is waiting on. It makes ZERO sense to trade for Alberts before the draft. If KC has Alberts on the team it is going to be difficult to convince chiefs nation that the #1 pick should be a LT. Their fans would be like ours if we still had Jake and decided to draft another LT, if we had the #1 overall pick. And if KC doesn't take a LT that is one less position we have to trade up to get one of the top LTs ourselves.

I don't think Alberts fits the ZBS, and he certainly isn't an upgrade over Long, yet we would have to pay him roughly the same while giving up a pick to do so. So in a sense it would be like trading Jake Long and a 2nd rd pick for Alberts. Does that sound like a good plan to you?? Not me. We let Long walk because we wanted to get younger and cheaper, Albert is neither of these.

9. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

You use 2 picks when you get a tackle that's better and a hell of a lot cheaper.

10. Dolphin Dave

Dolphin Dave Scout Team

11. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

Let's see, guys.......or the 54th pick (one pick)......or the 12th and 54th (two picks). :ponder:

12. Kyndig

Kyndig Seasoned Veteran Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Because, it will cost more to move up to get one as good as Albert, and u know what u have with Albert, he's proven in the big leagues...

13. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

might as well have kept long at least u keep draft pickm

14. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

15. Fins_of_Fury

Fins_of_Fury In a contract year

I would back this trade

16. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

I don't like the move either. Draft another LT, or use Martin(he is supposed to be the guy anyways) or Garner if we have to. If a premium LT falls to 12, then take him, otherwise go for play makers.
    Albert is not the answer IMHO.

17. McMichael

McMichael Seasoned Veteran

I think this is pretty much the reason.

Ireland isn't worried about over spending this offseason, it's his make or break year...

Trade our 2'nd for Albert and draft a different position with our #12 overall and end up with 2 potential pro bowl starters...

Or trade our 2'nd to move up and use both picks to take a potential pro bowl starter who will be cheaper than Albert... yet we won't have that other player.

it's pretty clear to me. I say go for it...any lineman we pick up with either of our 2'nd round picks would NOT be as good a Albert, at least not right away by any stretch

18. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

His price tag will reflect that. And he's good but he's not elite or anything...yet he'll be getting paid like he's elite. Should of just kept Jake if we were going to do this.

19. KTOWNFINFAN

Alberts is a LOT more expensive than Winston, and Winston would allow us to keep our picks. I would just as soon go into the season with Martin and Winston, and a 2nd rd tackle, than Alberts, and Martin. This is really pretty simple, can't understand those wanting to give up picks to get a player that is overpriced and doesn't fit what we are doing. It is EXACTLY like the, we can sign Brees for nothing, or get Daunte for a 2nd rd pick. We went the wrong way and have been paying for it ever since.

20. MrEd

MrEd Banned Hammered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUcjawB_ihk&feature=youtube_gdata_player.

21. steveo style

steveo style Scout Team Donator

Given our curse of crapping out on 2nd round picks, I guess make the trade.

22. damanref10

damanref10 Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

+ Extension $$$$.
    the 2nd round pick isnt bad compensation for him, but its not that simple.. its 2nd rounder + extension. The extension numbers will be how you grade out this potential deal

23. KTOWNFINFAN

That one is easy, TWO PICKS!!!! I would much rather use 12th and 54 to get a young stud that fits the ZBS and will cost next to nothing for 4 years, than to get a overpriced average LT that doesn't fit what we do.

Letting Long walk then trading for Alberts is the same as trading Long and a 2nd rd pick for Alberts. The fans would have thought that was the worst trade EVER, and SO DO I. If we trade for Alberts it will ruin everything we have done this offseason IMO.

24. silverfin

silverfin FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

:bobdole:

'I've got picks and money'

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2013
  25. Phins28

Phins28 A True Fan

huh? :bobdole:

26. AllFinsAllDay

AllFinsAllDay A True Fan

If we would have signed Long with a huge deal people would ***** so it doesn't matter. If he can improve the team than i say do it, but to say if we trade for him ruins everything else is ridiculous.

27. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

A few things....
    1. This is an Omar Kelly report.
    2. I have not seen any other legit reporter say that the Fins are in talks with KC. Omar is the least of any of the local guys with connections.
    3. I was correct IF this Omar report is true that this trade would be rekindled the week leading up to the draft and not weeks ago.
    4. I have been an ardent supporter of making a bold deal for an OT. Branden Albert has been at the top of the list. However, I have also said that a #2 straight up for Albert is not fair for Miami. The reason being is the player will need a ample contract to go along with the compensation that is funneled toward KC. While he might not get as much as Jake Long because he is looking for security financially (he feels the need to get SOMETHING longterm now), it will still be good money. Therefore, KC must lower its demand of a 2. 3b or 4 is much more palatable IMO.
    5. Finally, I have predicted that KC WILL in fact come of this #2 demand come next week. Andy Reid has no attachment to Albert, will want to start a fresh OT, does not want a distraction from Albert and Reid loves his picks on draft day.

28. dcnr226

dcnr226 A True Fan Donator

This is a good thing. Albert is a solid pro with good feet, and although I was looking forward to Jonathan Martin growing at LT, he can manage well at RT.

I'm guessing teams were asking too much to move up for Joeckel or Fisher. Or maybe Ireland sees the light and wants to stay pat to draft Tyler Eifert..

29. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Unless Albert signs an extension for like $6 mill a year or something this is beyond idiotic.

30. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

If you want Tannehill to succeed, protect him with one of the best pass blocking LT's in the game.

31. 72 silky

72 silky Well-Known Member

If we do get albert I hope that = Austin eifert or Patterson

32. phinfan1983

phinfan1983 Well-Known Member

I like the trade. You get a proven tackle to protect Tannehill. That really clears up the #12 pick - Eifort. Then get the safety, CB and DE in the next three rounds. We have young tackles in development - this buys time until they're ready.

33. steevieb22

steevieb22 Rookie

for 3b, I'd I'd do it, otherwise, let KC get realize they're going to be stuck with 2 LT's after the draft and see if the price comes down.

34. JDRA20

JDRA20 Well-Known Member

Just when I thought Jeff Ireland was starting to right the ship, he hits an iceberg.

35. twohype

twohype Seasoned Veteran

Well I feel sick......it's a crap move IMHO, I'd rather trade-up to get one of the 3 stud LTs than trade a #2 for Albert :-(

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Yup

36. NRA

NRA Roll Gypsy Roll

everyone keeps forgetting that LONG is a broken down comodity. WAY to much of a risk to give him the deal he wanted.

long was never a GREAT pss protector in his prime and he was going to get worse as time went on. that situation raised its ugly head last year and long was a JOKE pass protecting, hell, playing at all last year. just way to much contract for a player CLEARLY on the decline.

my only hope with albert is the finz will use this oportunity to take BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE and that player will be TAYVON AUSTIN!!

the other glaring thing this tells me is JONATHAN MARTIN is another ireland bust pic. they already knew that long would probably not be here the next season and they wanted to groom him for the spot. but, martin didnt look good on the right side at all and didnt shine at LT either. if they thought there was ANY chance of martin being the guy at LT, we wouldnt even be talking about albert.

this is all just the typical ireland/finz merry go round. nothing great. could turn out ok, could turn out real bad.

but as of right now. alber is the better player over jake long and much less a risk shovelling money into.

37. MegaFinz

MegaFinz Banned Hammered Donator

If they do trade for Albert then I hope they draft Eifert, then they will be able to do some two TE sets down around the goal line just like new England does!!!!

38. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

Trading for guy with severe back injury, bad enough to cause him to miss 3 games. Buyer beware

39. KTOWNFINFAN

Ok, I can feel you there. Maybe I over said what I was trying to get across. I was behind letting Jake walk because I thought I understood the direction of the team. If we trade for Alberts I now have to look at the Jake Long issue as a complete FAIL. The rest I still like, is that better?? You are correct, it doesn't affect the other signings.

40. PolitePolite

PolitePolite Well-Known Member

I mean if we are going to do this, we probably should have resigned Jake Long, at least given him the franchise tag over Starks. We would have been able to keep our 2nd round pick, and it looks like one of the good DTs might fall to our spot. I'd rather just draft a guy in the 2nd round and let him and Martin battle it out, though.