Don Criqui

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MLQ, Dec 23, 2012.

1. MLQ

MLQ Active Member

One of the sad realities of aging is when you see someone perform poorly who was once great. Today's game announcer for CBS, Don Criqui,
    used to be the #1 announcer back in the early 80's when NBC had the AFC games, and the major bowl games. He called the classic Jan. '82 Dolphins-Chargers playoff game(his call of the Harris-Nathan lateral touchdown is awesome), andf the first U. of Miami National Championship game against Nebraska, Jan. '84 in the old Orange Bowl stadium. At the time, I was just out of school, working at a small radio station hoping to one day call games for an NFL team, and Criqui was someone I enjoyed watching. Move forward to today's game, and he was brutal. Lost track of the game most of the time, and totally missed Reggie's TD catch even though the official had his hands up. Sad. Hopefully next year we improve, and we won't get stuck with these lame announcers that get assigned to the average or below average teams.

2. slickrickpuppy

slickrickpuppy Well-Known Member

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Slim

Slim VIPeezy

Can't believe he kept referring to Tannehill as 'Tanney-hill'

4. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

He was pretty bad. Some of his statements were just inaccurate such as "Miami traded up to #8 to draft Tannehill". No they didn't. He once announced Bush made a carry, but it was Miller. As you said, he totally missed the second Bush touchdown reception. There were many other shake your head type moments.

5. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

The most baffling one was when Tannehill threw his first pass and he said "there's another deep ball." - it was our first throw and it was four yards :idk:

6. MikeO

MikeO Premium Member Donator

He doesn't even work for CBS full-time. CBS only has 7 announce crews. This week they happened to have 8 games (might happen once or twice a season) so they called him up for a one-time deal.

Yes he has slipped and not what he once was, but he still has a great announcers voice!

7. miamiron

miamiron A True Fan

looking in the mirror

8. dolphans1

dolphans1 A True Fan

I have never met anyone in my entire life named Tanny-Hill or Tana-hill, so to me its a simple mistake.

In reality, what does it even matter?

d-1

9. Phindog

Phindog A True Fan

Don also acted like once the Bills scored there first TD it was like 24 un-answered points.It seemed like he was out of football for too long.But I do remember dozens of games he did in the 80's....

10. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

It happens to all of us with age. I thought he did OK, all things considered.

A couple of years ago Pat Summerall got called in to do a game after being in retirement and fighting off illness and he was clearly not what he once was.

Sucks getting old.

11. Johnstone

Johnstone Well-Known Member

I like Don Criqui, I wish Brent Musberger would go back and do the NFL as well.

12. TheWalrus

TheWalrus 1/7/14 Finheaven VIP

Criqui hasn't been the same since his neighbor was killed a few years back. It wasn't widely reported in the media, but a friend of mine in the broadcasting business says it's well known. The story is Criqui was having an affair with the man's wife and was for a time under heavy scrutiny from New Jersey PD. The pressure of that and a back injury/surgery lead to a problem with pills and trips in and out of rehab. To make matters worse, Criqui's oldest daughter became a call girl in the high dollar mode, so says my friend. He linked me to a picture but it's since been taken down. I don't know if I saved it. If anyone's interested I could check.

A sad story, really. Rather than making fun of him I think some sympathy is in order, especially around Christmastime. It's got to be particularly tough on him this time of year.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2012
  13. wonderl33t

wonderl33t FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Today was pretty bad. I'm glad he at least is a respected broadcaster and not some bum. Surely he'll be remembered for his prior contributions to broadcasting and not today's job.

14. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Old age can be painful sometimes.

I remember when Pat Summit announced her retirement due to Alzheimer's disease and she said, "I just knew it was time to, it was time to...uhhhhh."

I just laughed.

15. xXpHINSXx133454

xXpHINSXx133454 Well-Known Member

I never heard of the dudes announcing today, but they were truly abysmal and bland. While I don't really care ever what the announcers are saying anyways, I did get to hear at the commercial break before the Reshad Jones pick, they saying Ryan Fitzpatrick being a good quarterback with a strong arm. Me shooks ma headdd. Announcers = hypemans, that talk outta their tail alot of the time I tell you, but of course there are good ones who do their homework and are really good but not on this day.

16. TheWalrus

TheWalrus 1/7/14 Finheaven VIP

It's pathetic so many people are giving Criqui this amount of grief for a few mistakes when the holidays are such a terrible time of year for him. If any of you guys had gone through what he went through you wouldn't be able to do half the job he did. I was proud he kept it together as well as he did. I heard his voice catch a few times but he got through it.

17. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I didn't see the broadcast and don't know about the scandal stuff posted in this thread, but I am aware that Criqui is the radio play-by-play guy for Notre Dame football. I've heard they have a game on the horizon. I imagine he's devoted more time toward readying himself for that broadcast than Miami/Buffalo.

Definitely one of the distinct voices and broadcasters. Before the BCS ruined college football New Year's Day was the greatest sports day of the year, and there was nothing more dramatic than when NBC handed off from **** Enberg at the Rose Bowl to Don Criqui leading off the Orange Bowl telecast. I can still feel the chills. I'd literally grab a basketball and start dribbling nervously, if I wasn't at the game itself.

18. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 I can get you a toe Finheaven VIP Donator

His name isn't Taneyhill so why pronounce it as such?

19. MiamiMike74

MiamiMike74 Scout Team

Still not nearly as bad as freaking Dan Dierdorff for 2 weeks in a row

20. johngarry

johngarry "Mysterious" Super Donator Donator

loved hearing the Cricket today! reminded of time when We Were Kings of the AFCE… a time, soon to return.

21. PeterNorth

PeterNorth Seasoned Veteran

Randy Cross was actually the one who kept pronouncing Tannehill as "Tanneyhill", not Criqui.

22. state06

state06 A True Fan

They reminded me of wwf commentators today just by their voices alone. Lets bring The king jerry lawlor and Good ol Jim Ross in for a game

23. rob19

rob19 Soul Rebel Finheaven VIP Donator

Wasn't quite the train-wreck I thought it was going to be watching the pre-game, but honestly speaking those two were easily the worst pair of announcers I've heard call a game all year.

24. NorthernFin

NorthernFin Scout Team

I thought Randy was worse than Criqui. IT was kind of funny, I would make a comment about a play, and Randy would say they same thing like 15 seconds later. My buddies said I should be calling the game. :lol: