Donald Thomas put 355-pound Paul Soliai on his back

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MDFINFAN, Aug 12, 2009.

1. MDFINFAN

MDFINFAN Reach for the Stars Super Donator Donator

I'd pay to see this, it must have been something, haven't heard anyone doing this this camp..

Please don't let this guy be injury prone.. I want to see that all season long..

Miami Dolphins: Some additional items from Tuesday's practice

Additional information.

Fresh Phins - Miami Dolphins practice (Day 10, morning)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2009
  2. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

This doesnt suprise me. I do hope he is a stud.

3. Dolfan5000

Dolfan5000 Mark my words, I'll get mine

I would get excited but leverage is a funny thing. I weighed 150 lbs and threw a 350+ guy down with one shoulder. If you get under someone's pads that's all it takes. I mean I'm not saying hey Donald Thomas isn't good or anything just know that all it takes to knock one on their *** is the proper angle and underneath leverage. Hope he does it to all the players he faces during the season though.

4. Dogbone34

Dogbone34 cowboy surfer

Come on Soliai !

5. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

There was a post earlier this year. and it was stating that Thomas was handiling Jenkins 1 V 1 and he won most of them

6. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

Obviously, but everyone who has ever played the game in the trenches from about the 8 grade level or up knows it's all about leverage, and positon, Soliai also. That is the point, both understand leverage, but Thomas was still able to out postion Solai to the point he was able to gain the leverage to put him down.

7. BARF

BARF ...FOR ME TO POOP ON

of course he is a stud he is a parcells player

8. PALMA

PALMA A very famous spit

I can't help but want to root for J.D. Folsom.

9. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

good sign for thomas, not so good for soliai.

10. Smith21

Smith21 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

id pay to see a 150lb guard throw any defensive lineman in the league around..

11. FinsFan24

FinsFan24 All-Timer

I wouldn't read into this too much if its just this lone occurrence. Both players are very talented and just have to work on technique and get some invaluable in-game experience. I expect big things out of Thomas this year (Soliai, not so much). all we can do is just hope that he stays healthy, or at least make it past the first dam game.

12. Pinkboy

Pinkboy Banned Hammered

13. Lord Of Miami

Lord Of Miami A True Fan

Their should of been alot of them after the 1st Jets game last year.Jenkins was getting pushed around most the game by him.

Then all we saw all year was Jenkins push everyone else around lol If Thomas can stay healthy he will be going to many Pro Bowls.

14. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

If Thomas can stay healthy then our running game will be incredible

15. Pinkboy

Pinkboy Banned Hammered

Imagine how much better we would have looked against Baltimore with a healthy Smiley, Grove and Thomas inside, instead of some of the scrubs we had there who sucked.

16. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

I almost wonder if we will use both Murphy and Thomas. Can you imagine if both work out well and they get to rest here and there and wammo! 4th qtr Thomas starts blowin peoples doors in?

17. Pinkboy

Pinkboy Banned Hammered

It's not a good idea to rotate on the offensive line during games.. Offensive lines are good because of timing and continuity. They don't get tired late in games like defensive linemen do, because O-linemen aren't reacting, they're initiating.

You never see the top O-lines in the league having turnstile rotations during games.

18. Kiick72

Kiick72 Starter

That's something I have been saying for awhile. If we had better guard play in that game we could have won that game. Our defense was playing well enough, we just couldn't keep anyone out of the backfield.

As far as Murphy goes I hope he keeps improving, I just don't trust Thomas to stay healthy yet. I do think that Thomas easily has the upper hand in this though but Murphy has closed the gap considerably.

19. MDFINFAN

I don't think so, more on this subject:

Fresh Phins - Miami Dolphins practice (Day 10, morning)

I might add that Thomas also has the fresher legs right now in camp, so that may also help a little bit.. He's just getting started good, while the other guys have been at it awhile, just my 2 cents..

20. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Well still does not mean Murphy cannot be good and become a player. Henne was one of those guys last year and he seems like he will be fine. I think its important that Murphy develop because Berger has definately never shown he can do much beside be inactive in Dallas.

21. Chubby

Chubby SUPERFAN

Picture this:

Your a LB or CB, you see the dolphins Pitch or toss to Ronnie Brown, you put yourself in position to make a tackle and then........................ You wake up its Tuesday!
    Courtesty of pulling gaurd Donald Thomas!

Cant wait to see him in these type of situations.
    Chubbs

22. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious I love lamp Finheaven VIP Donator

would you prefer Berger or Alleman? i'm not quite sure. i think i'd go with Berger. Alleman was awful at times last season.

off topic, i hope Mark Lewis will have a similar development as Murphy. i don't think Lewis would hold up physically just yet, but give him a year in our strength and conditioning system and he could make a serious push for the roster next year IMO.

23. MDFINFAN

I wasn't implying that Murphy wouldn't get the chance to developed, I was thinking more that if Thomas gets fully healthy, and regains his form, that he would be playing the most, and murphy probaly be a breather subsitution..I think that 4th invested in Murphy will keep him around..but if Thomas is that much ahead, you have to think he's being developed just as much or more..

24. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Well they obviously think much higher of Thomas at this point. I just dont want us to have to rely on a scrub like Berger much at all this year.

25. MDFINFAN

In terms of pure abilities, don't you think highly of him compared to the rest of our guards.. we've just been disappointed by the injuries, other than that, the kid as shown a lot of potential in his limited time...plus he earn the starting guard position last off season...

26. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I think in terms of raw ability he is the best of the bunch and was impressed he earned a spot last year.

27. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

Honestly, I really wasn't all that surprised that Donald Thomas won the starting RG job last year as a rookie....

Despite his inexperience....I had him as my #7 rated Guard prospect in the 2008 draft.....ahead of more notable guards like Mike McGlynn....Barry Richardson....and Roy Schuening....

Thomas had a 4th round grade for me.....I figured it would've been just the opposite with Thomas selected in the 4th round and Murphy in the 6th....

He was an up and down performer at UCONN.....but the ability was apparent.....and his incredible post season work outs are what sealed his grade for me....

The guy just needs more experience and more reps to eliminate his inconsistency......but he obviously has to stay healthy to get either one....

28. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Well the differance is Alleman played while Berger was inactive so thats a hard call. Good luck on any tape of Joe Berger ever playing a real NFL game.

29. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Owner of the Palace of Wisdom Finheaven VIP Donator

Thomas was, and is, still very raw at football. Since he walked on at UCONN after never really playing football, and was a TE/Wedge buster his first couple of years. So growth for him is still probable

30. MDFINFAN

And that's why I like the guy, that natural ability with a lot of upside potential..as in, as he gets to understand the game better and what he needs to do..oh mind, the sky's the limit with this guy..

31. finner

finner Starter

Donald Thomas is a naughty boy. And I bet he's a tad cranky about practice time as well.

32. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Donald Thomas doesn't use condoms because there is no protection from Donald Thomas.

33. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

I am happy for Thomas getting healthy but what gets me just as excited is seeing a Murphy or a Andrew Gardner producing and getting it done in the backup positions so that they can step up in case of injury.
    Those 3 projected starters on the interior of our offensive line have had a history of not lasting an entire season due to injuries.
    Its real important that we have some good/great backups that can step in.
    We have a lot more depth at all positions this year but if we are going to be a playoff caliber team we are going to have not only good/great players at the starter positions but just as importantly healthy good great backup players at all positions.

34. jlfin

jlfin old pro

How did he last until the 6th rd last yr?
    Everything I've read about him last yr and so far this yr suggests that he has the potential to be a special player. Very similar to Dwight Stephenson.
    He seems to have very good strength and uncanny leverage, which is the key to being a dominant lineman.

35. DearbornDolfan

DearbornDolfan Seasoned Veteran

He's very, very raw. Teams don't invest early picks in players who are relatively new to the game and were somewhat inconsistent in college. That said, when this kid really comes on in a couple years it's going to be exciting watching him work. The Fins could easily wind up with the best offensive line in the league.

36. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Let's not drop names like Dwight Stephenson yet. We don't even know if he's a Rex Hadnot.

37. DearbornDolfan

DearbornDolfan Seasoned Veteran

In your opinion, does he have that level of potential? Further, can the present coaching staff wring everything out of him?

38. jlfin

jlfin old pro

I'm referring to the early impressions of both players, not the balance of his (Stephenson) career.
    Stephenson surprised people because of his exceptional strength and leverage his rookie season.
    Thomas, by all accounts was raw coming out of college, but he appears to have exceptional physical ability and has displayed the ability to dominate despite his lack of experience.

39. FORMER FIN1

FORMER FIN1 Starter

Maybe we can get his old man to suit up. He was a badass back in the day.

40. phinphan4life

phinphan4life Monkey Milk Finheaven VIP Donator

I'm impressed. Not by him doing well, but by him taking ownership of his shortcomings thus far. It seems like not only does he want to do well, but he wants to dominate and dominate all the time. You may hear an offensive lineman admit to a mistake that lead to a sack, but how often do you hear someone say they don't even want to get a holding penalty. That, my friend is manning up. The popular line of thinking is that it's better to get a holding penalty than to give up a sack. Donald Thomas doesn't seem to be willing to concede either. I love it.