Don't Judge a Book by its cover!!! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don't Judge a Book by its cover!!!

kastofsna120 said:
should give him the benefit of the doubt? what the hell does that mean :lol:

being the mvp of 3 citrus bowls isn't too impressive, especially considering he lost one of them (and didn't even do that well in the game, i have no clue why he won the MVP). nothing he does translates well to the NFL

Finally, you say something that makes sense!

maybe you can enlighten me as to why he won the citrus bowl MVP against georgia tech? you like rivers a lot, so i'm assuming you've watched him play and know which game i'm talking about and can tell me what he did to deserve the award

bg34 said:
2nd All-time in passing yds
95 td's
5 bowl game MVP's

No, he was not surrounded my amazing talent at NC State. But of course, a stellar college career doesn't equate to a star NFL QB, but it should give you the benefit of the doubt. ( doesn't on here though, lol)

Agreed, college stats dont mean anything once in the NFL. But Id just like to hear what his educated opinions are on Rivers..what doesnt he like about him, etc...

Just for conversations sake.

kastofsna120 said:
maybe you can enlighten me as to why he won the citrus bowl MVP against georgia tech? you like rivers a lot, so i'm assuming you've watched him play and know which game i'm talking about and can tell me what he did to deserve the award

I wasn't aware that he played a team from his own conference in a bowl game?

kastofsna120 said:

But that still doesnt say why he would suck? For example, I dont like the way Brees occasionally stares the WR too long. I dont like the way he'll sometime force a pass to Gates when he has a safety valve on the right. I dont like the way Brees occassionaly doesnt just tuck it and run--and Im one of the biggest Brees supporters!

Another example, I think Kerry Collins sucks because he cant throw anything underneath because his touch passes suck. I think Kerry Collins sucks because he never scans the field but would rather throw to a double /tripled team WR.

Like that...so whats it with Philip?

no arm strength,

Wrong. He has PLUS arm strength, read his scouting reports. He throws the ball hard and fast.

bad deep ball,

Wrong. INCONSISTENT deep ball because it SOMETIMES drifts. Much like many qbs in the NFL. It is not bad and he can throw it.

can't throw to the sidelines at all,

Completely wrong. Don't even know where you came up with that one.

no mobility,

He's not a running quarterback, but he has plus pocket presence and good evasion.

bad mechanics (better now),

He has unique mechanics, not bad.

horrible release,

No. He had one of the fewest balls batted down of his college class.

There is no etc.

We can't judge a guy with a 1 game performance. It would be like judging Alex Smith this year with a horrible team.

Hmm...as a disclaimer--no way am I even putting them in the same category but..

Didnt #13 have a unique "bad" throwing technique?

nopony said:
Wrong. He has PLUS arm strength, read his scouting reports. He throws the ball hard and fast.
wrong. he has a bad arm
Wrong. INCONSISTENT deep ball because it SOMETIMES drifts. Much like many qbs in the NFL. It is not bad and he can throw it.
:rofl: he has a bad deep ball
Completely wrong. Don't even know where you came up with that one.
i'm right, actually. even those dumb scouts agree with me. look it up :)
He's not a running quarterback, but he has plus pocket presence and good evasion.
i guess
He has unique mechanics, not bad.
:lol: is this elementary school? little johnny isn't bad, he's just special! rivers isn't bad he's "unique"
No. He had one of the fewest balls batted down of his college class.
okay?
There is no etc.
yeah, i guess i got everything right

kastofsna120 said:
so far so good. but why did he win the MVP?

Which bowl are you talking about? The '03 Tangerine Bowl against Kansas??

If so, I think he threw for almost 500 yds.

He was the MPV of five bowl games, Kast. Which one is it that bothers you?

Kansas University's football team had nearly a month to prepare for Philip Rivers. It wasn't enough. Rivers set North Carolina State and Tangerine Bowl records Monday night at Florida Citrus Bowl for completions (37), completion percentage (82.2), passing yards (475), touchdown passes (five) and total offense (495 yards).

MicronPC.com Bowl
N.C. State 38, Minnesota 30
Matchup Key Stat
Game Recap
Game Summary 300: Rushing yards on 58 carries for the Gophers in an attempt to control the ball, which they did to no avail.
Player of the Game
MVP Philip Rivers, QB, N.C. State. The kid didn't flinch despite a huge deficit and methodically brought the 'Pack back, competing 24 of 39 passes for 310 yards.

Named the MVP of the 2004 Senior Bowl (Jan. 25), leading the South squad to victory with a 12-of-19 passing performance for 219 yards, no interceptions and two TDs in the first quarter plus one series of the fourth.

... MVP of the Gator Bowl, he tallied 228 yards on 23-37 passing and threw for two touchdowns in that contest ... Completed 11 straight passes at one point in the first half ...

bg34 said:
Which bowl are you talking about? The '03 Tangerine Bowl against Kansas??

If so, I think he threw for almost 500 yds.
nah, it was the one i think 2 years before against pittsburgh. they won that kansas game

nopony said:
He was the MPV of five bowl games, Kast. Which one is it that bothers you?

Kansas University's football team had nearly a month to prepare for Philip Rivers. It wasn't enough. Rivers set North Carolina State and Tangerine Bowl records Monday night at Florida Citrus Bowl for completions (37), completion percentage (82.2), passing yards (475), touchdown passes (five) and total offense (495 yards).

MicronPC.com Bowl
N.C. State 38, Minnesota 30
Matchup Key Stat
Game Recap
Game Summary 300: Rushing yards on 58 carries for the Gophers in an attempt to control the ball, which they did to no avail.
Player of the Game
MVP Philip Rivers, QB, N.C. State. The kid didn't flinch despite a huge deficit and methodically brought the 'Pack back, competing 24 of 39 passes for 310 yards.

Named the MVP of the 2004 Senior Bowl (Jan. 25), leading the South squad to victory with a 12-of-19 passing performance for 219 yards, no interceptions and two TDs in the first quarter plus one series of the fourth.

... MVP of the Gator Bowl, he tallied 228 yards on 23-37 passing and threw for two touchdowns in that contest ... Completed 11 straight passes at one point in the first half ...
:rolleyes: it doesn't BOTHER me, i'm just not too impressed by winning MVPs or any award in college. i like leinart, but you'll never hear me say "he won the heisman" or "he's only lost one game in his career" becuase that means NOTHING. it's about him as a player, which means the decision-making abilities, the physical abilities, etc. it seems the ONLY thing people have for rivers is his bowl MVPs, which is completely useless information, especially in such nothing bowl games where he was the ONLY player of any name (which explains why he won the MVP of a bowl game where he played average and LOST)

nah, it was the one i think 2 years before against pittsburgh. they won that kansas game

Oh good god. You have to go back to his sophmore year to pick out ONE of his FIVE bowl MVPs to complain about?

Wow. That's a record for reaching.

Back
Top Bottom