Don't we have to wait until 6-1-05 to dump some guys? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don't we have to wait until 6-1-05 to dump some guys?

Danny1339

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I was looking at Clumpys draft page & I see the column "before 6/1 savings"
If this is the case, why don't we drop guys now? (Fiedler, etc)

Teams usually wait until the start of the new League year (March 2nd) or close to it to begin releasing players.

June 1st date allows a team to spread out any signing bonus amortization over 2 seasons. It saves cap space in the year of release. If a player is released prior to June 1st, all remaining signing bonus amoertization counts on cap in year of release

Clumpy said:
June 1st date allows a team to spread out any signing bonus amortization over 2 seasons. It saves cap space in the year of release. If a player is released prior to June 1st, all remaining signing bonus amoertization counts on cap in year of release

As you know the wording is on or before June 1st all unamortized signing bonus is charged to the current year. After (4pm) June 1st the one year proration of the signing bonus is charged in the current year and the remainder in the next year.

Too many still think the remaining bonus is charged half one year and the rest the next year. Others think you have the option of what you want to do on 6/01.

For those that don't know, Clump likes to explain things as simply as possible and I disagree. :)

According to Clumpy, were about 12 mil over the cap right now. I'm new at this salery cap stuff so correct me if I'm wrong.If Jay's gone we save 6 mil alone and it looks like Seau won't be back( at least nowhere near current salery) that's roughly another 3 mil. It most likely that Surtain won't be here( hate to see Pat go though) that's something like 5.5 mil, so with just 3 players removed we're 2.5 mil under the (projected) cap. I know it's not alot considering we need alot of help in alot of positions, but maybe it's not as bad as (certainly I thought) it was am i wrong or right?

Back
Top Bottom