Draft Forum post draft thoughts? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Forum post draft thoughts?

xXwarXx

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I figured I'd start a thread here to separate from the madness in the general forum to get the opinions of the regulars here.

I'll add more of my thoughts later.

Generally though, I feel like this draft shocked a lot of people by the plan management unfolded. But I also think they got A LOT of the players they were targeting, and that's pretty rare IMO. I'm actually quite excited by the draft.

The biggest thing I loved about this draft which is something I've been begging for, for years, is moveable mismatch pieces. Tannehill was at his best When he had Clay who was my favorite phin. A moveable piece who created mismatches all over the field. He was a complete headache for defenses because of his versatility.

when we lost him I said that was a HUGE loss, I don't think a lot of ppl appreciated his value to this team.

In this draft we got 3 moveable mismatch pieces in Grant, Duarte, and Drake. I'll touch more on this later, but to me, the easiest way to create offense in the NFL, is mismatch pieces.

I'll touch more on this ater. Go fins!

The one move in particular that i didn't like was trading out of the 5th rd for later picks, if anything imo we should have done the trade New England did with the same pick, trade it for a 6th and a 4th next year to recoup part of what was given up in the Caroo trade.

With that 5th rd pick we could have had a real QB to groom in Kevin Hogan, OG Joe Dahl, LB Kentrell Brothers, OG Spencer Drango or OG Christian Westerman. Especially since we traded our 4th rd pick I would have taken one of them or gotten that 4th rd pick back next year. Just because Tannenbaum will probably have a supplemental 4th rd pick next year doesn't mean you trade it away like a playing card, 4ths are valuable commodities.

The one move in particular that i didn't like was trading out of the 5th rd for later picks, if anything imo we should have done the trade New England did with the same pick, trade it for a 6th and a 4th next year to recoup part of what was given up in the Caroo trade.

With that 5th rd pick we could have had a real QB to groom in Kevin Hogan, OG Joe Dahl, LB Kentrell Brothers, OG Spencer Drango or OG Christian Westerman. Especially since we traded our 4th rd pick I would have taken one of them or gotten that 4th rd pick back next year. Just because Tannenbaum will probably have a supplemental 4th rd pick next year doesn't mean you trade it away like a playing card, 4ths are valuable commodities.

I'm not a fan of trading future picks either. But we still have picks in every rnd next year so that softens the blow. I also had a high grade on Carroo so that helps.

And also Gase wants his pieces for his offense, and he didn't want to wait until next year. The trades we made netted us 3 of the targets he really wanted in Grant, Duarte, and Carroo. Tannebuam delivered on the guys gase wanted the most, I think thats big for us.

The biggest thing I loved about this draft which is something I've been begging for, for years, is moveable mismatch pieces. Tannehill was at his best When he had Clay who was my favorite phin. A moveable piece who created mismatches all over the field. He was a complete headache for defenses because of his versatility.

when we lost him I said that was a HUGE loss, I don't think a lot of ppl appreciated his value to this team.

In this draft we got 3 moveable mismatch pieces in Grant, Duarte, and Drake. I'll touch more on this later, but to me, the easiest way to create offense in the NFL, is mismatch pieces.

I agree. I made a lengthy post in the main forum an hour or so ago, on the same theme. Tannehill had multiple games last season with very high YPA but we scored an absurdly low number of points in those games. Gase is not going to tolerate that type of thing. This draft was designed to provide an artificial bump, if you want to call it that, in terms of cheap field position and yards and therefore points.

I just hope we got it out of our system because the cost was too high and there were other targets and routes available. You need multiple guys in mind and allow them to fall to you, to avoid the panic and overpaying. John Harbaugh gave an excellent interview to NFL Network yesterday regarding the Ravens' fourth round with all the picks. Everybody has raved -- so to speak -- about Baltimore choices in that round. I was amazed at their haul, with some of my favorites like Willie Henry and Kenneth Dixon. Harbaugh detailed that some guys were throwing things in the draft room as that round progressed, but Ozzie Newsome in charge was cool like a Star Trek captain and merely allowed the process to play out. In other words, Baltimore didn't get everybody they targeted in that round. It merely appeared that way, because the overall approach and prioritization is so sound

* I want to comment on the televised coverage. I watch ESPN at first take but I eventually watch both networks in full, taping the NFL Network version for later viewing.

ESPN had a dominant edge in the first round, primarily due to Jon Gruden. He is extra special. You don't know what you'll get out of him, while everyone else is mostly familiar and standard fare. Gruden understands that many of these guys will bust, even in the first round. He finds distinct weaknesses and isn't concerned about emphasizing them above the gushing. Riddick tried to keep up with Gruden during that first round but I thought some of his critical packages were forced and overdone. Regardless, it was an incredibly refreshing real world slant and presentation. The remainder of the draft really suffered without Gruden.

* Day Two belonged to NFL Network, especially the first hour when ESPN wobbled. NFL Network did a much better job of showing picks live from the podium while ESPN was wandering and mumbling. Urban Meyer always says something fascinating and different about football technique and evolution at certain positions. Meyer is better than David Shaw in that role. Daniel Jermemiah should be spotlighted beginning on Day Two, like ESPN elevates McShay, instead of relegating Jeremiah to the back table until the third day. Makes little sense.

* I rip NFL Network deservedly every year largely because it is such a juvenile presentation. Rich Eisen has no business in that role. This year on Saturday they took it to lower and more disgusting level. NFL Network was actually winning the day with live picks from remote locations until Eisen and particularly Mike Mayock somehow resorted to the familiar 9th grade locker room banter surrounding the choice of Deon Bush. If that type of television were ideal then Sean Salisbury would be the star of every sports network. Eisen couldn't contain himself with giggles and the entire panel, with the possible exception of Jeremiah, seemingly had no clue how out of line it was. Eisen waved off the segment and went to an abrupt commercial since he couldn't manage a competent sentence.

Keep in mind I'm watching this long after the fact. When they went to commercial I wondered if the entire crew would return intact. I thought somebody atop the network might insist on an immediate suspension, at least for a while. That's how bad it was. The 9th grade locker room material is not creative or funny and only reflects poorly on the person(s) offering it. I am pleased that this site does not partake very often, notably in contrast to another Dolphins forum that I visit occasionally. That crew is often low class and seemingly doesn't realize it.

And there was a dramatic change once Eisen and Co. returned. They got an earful from producers during the break. I've never seen that group so subdued and busniesslike during the draft coverage, and it lasted for an extended period. The earful was well deserved.

NFL Network did rescue the situation during the interview with the German guy and coverage of his drafting by the Vikings. Well done. Great TV. far better than anything ESPN managed.

Both networks did a good job yesterday with far fewer interviews with NFL coaches and general managers than standard on day three. Normally they offer nothing. John Harbaugh is an exception and was smartly chosen.

I did not watch Bspn for the 2nd yr in a row.

NFLN's cast is much better. Other than my being tired of Mariucci @ 6:05 p local on Thusday, I was entertained when I did watch.

Eisen has a genuine sense of humor unlike Berman who is a caricature of a cartoon. Gruden is loud mouth trying to be a tough guy. He is a gravy trainer (alot like Mariucci) and some network peabrain thinks that qualifies him to be an expert.

Mayock & David Shaw's insight are light yrs ahead of Mel and Berman's other lackeys.

You could have made a decent drinking game by taking a shot every time Mayock said special on Thursday FWIW.

I see no reason whatsoever why any on air staff should channel their inner Walter Cronkite covering actual news. Its the NFL draft not the Camp David Peace Accords.

My favorite piece was Saturday afternoon... everyone was giving Charles Davis a bad time about no UT Vols getting selected. That said, I hope NFL involves Colleen Wolfe & Lindsay Rhodes more next yr.

p.s. If It were up to me Rds 1 & 2 would be on Fri, 3 & 4 on Sat, and the balance Sunday.

I agree. I made a lengthy post in the main forum an hour or so ago, on the same theme. Tannehill had multiple games last season with very high YPA but we scored an absurdly low number of points in those games. Gase is not going to tolerate that type of thing. This draft was designed to provide an artificial bump, if you want to call it that, in terms of cheap field position and yards and therefore points.

I just hope we got it out of our system because the cost was too high and there were other targets and routes available. You need multiple guys in mind and allow them to fall to you, to avoid the panic and overpaying. John Harbaugh gave an excellent interview to NFL Network yesterday regarding the Ravens' fourth round with all the picks. Everybody has raved -- so to speak -- about Baltimore choices in that round. I was amazed at their haul, with some of my favorites like Willie Henry and Kenneth Dixon. Harbaugh detailed that some guys were throwing things in the draft room as that round progressed, but Ozzie Newsome in charge was cool like a Star Trek captain and merely allowed the process to play out. In other words, Baltimore didn't get everybody they targeted in that round. It merely appeared that way, because the overall approach and prioritization is so sound

I really don't know much about the guys Bmore drafted in the mid rnds, but i also think it's a lot easier for Ozzie to go this route as his job and Harboughs are completely secure. Our guys don't have this luxury and are still building a foundation.

As for the mismatch pieces, I think Arizona's offense lead the NFL in points scored. Palmer was clearly a big part of that, especially with his long ball. But They have a bunch of these mismatch pieces that clearly were also a big part.

Tannehill needs these types of players to succeed IMO. The fact that he got Tunsil also clearly makes him the QB who benefited the most sfter this draft IMO.

I thought both networks were equally bad, NFL networks nonstop coverage of the German was insane. After that the draft coverage basically was non existent. Espn's need to constantly bring up fantasy football was equally as bad.

This draft went completely the opposite of how we all wanted it to go, stocking up on offense rather than defense. It all started with the Tunsil slip, and at that point I don't know how you don't draft him with a potential 10yr player staring at you right in the face only because someone Anonymous'd him right before he was going to go top 5. I liked how we were aggressive in getting the players that we wanted for once; how many articles post draft were about how Ireland wanted someone and just couldn't pull it off? I really didn't mind all of the board shuffling and trading future picks, which will be supplemented with comp picks, to get who we wanted, you have to do what you have to do and if players that you want are in range then you're justified. This offense now looks pretty stacked, no matter what position Tunsil starts at it will be Tunsil/Albert or Albert/Tunsil on the left side and properly sitting Dallas Thomas on the bench, there goes half the problem of our offense right there. I love how this receiving core looks now, very forward thinking with the contract of Stills coming up, and a lot of variety in that room- we have size, speed, heart, and hands in that room and all bring something to the table. Ajayi is the starter at RB, glad to see it, in limited snaps you could just tell this guy is waiting to go off. This training camp should be very interesting if Damien Williams can fight off others and stay on or if we sign guys who've been cut or if Gase actually liked Daniel Thomas for real and somehow gets in the mix. Drake is the number two however out the gate and I like his versatility in the passing game and return game and the fact that he can go out wide really opens this offense up; like doesn't it look like we're shaping up to go spread a lot more now? Parker/Carroo/Landry/Stills/Cameron and RT as a potential runner now with Tunsil/Albert/Pouncey/anyone not named Dallas Thomas/James guarding up front? I like the way we look overall, we could go two tightend ground and pound and play with play action, or spread the field and go deep along with screens and draws with gashing style runners; also you know Gase is going to have Tannehill on the move more to utilize his athletic ability.

Defense looks to be relied on our vets and Vance Joseph knowing how to use some of our best players. I like how we have two press corners now to go with our pretty stout front line, the whole play off man scheme really negated our pass rush because teams would just quick slant or hitch all day and what defense can really win constant 3rd and 3-4 anyways? Wake, Suh, Williams, and even Mitchell in the passing game is a tough unit to consistently keep away from the QB and now we have two corners who are going to jam you in the mouth and every second that goes by that the WR can't get into his route is another foot closer our front is getting to you. And if you're trying to go deep we have a speedy FS in Quddus and Reshad roaming to make you think otherwise, and yet again, that hesitation is only giving more time for Wake/Suh/Mario to get off their blocks. Kiko is basically the LB we never drafted in the draft, two years removed from injury is definitely a plus and hopefully returns to form as that rangy player that can pick off the middle routes and fill in gaps in the run game. Moving Misi back to SAM will be a much better way to go about things with him, let him contain the outside, funnel runs back inwards, and hopefully being a two down LB will make him last longer in the year. Jenkins wore down last year but he still is a solid WILL and Hewitt behind him definitely earned snaps from playing how he did in the NE game; not to mention Jordan Phillips/McCain/Lippett/Fede should all be better, and adding Andre Branch to the mix, this defense really has a chance to shine. If the offense can score, this defense can do what it truly does best in creating pressure as teams try to play catch up.

Overall, I have to say that now that FA and the Draft have passed, the vision for the team still gives me optimism for a year in which people are writing off as a rebuild year. We've absolutely retooled top down and now we have to just go out there and execute.

LOVED the first pick, went to bed dreaming of such a good draft lol. Next day was a big let down for me though. I know we needed a cb but this team isnt competing for the championship right now. I wouldve much rather went BPA there at really any position in the 2nd round.

Then Kenyan Drake, I dont even know what to say about this pick. I could start with the fact that hes basically only a utility type of guy that you try and give the ball to a few times a game and not a potential 3 down back like Booker or Dixon.

But what bothered me more about the Drake pick isnt the guy himself because he definitely is talented, its that we drafted him probably 2 rounds before we needed. I know thats just speculation but even Drake himself was surprised he was picked so soon lol.

Defense looks to be relied on our vets and Vance Joseph knowing how to use some of our best players.

The front 7 is def going to be all about veterans.

But our secondary is really young, and will keep Joseph quite busy developing them.

Howard, Lippet, McCain, Ekpre, Jordan. People think we neglected the defense, thats not even close to the truth, we have a lot of youth back there to develop.

LOVED the first pick, went to bed dreaming of such a good draft lol. Next day was a big let down for me though. I know we needed a cb but this team isnt competing for the championship right now. I wouldve much rather went BPA there at really any position in the 2nd round.

In my mind one of our first 2 round pics was always going to be a cornerback.

Cornerbacks have an impossible learning curve to predict. We needed one now, I think this staff was dead set on getting one now in there first year so they could immediately start developing the secondary. Because at the end of the day that is Josephs first job to do here, fix the secondary.

I like Denver's draft. Not as high on Lynch, but he has physical talent, and if they can spoon feed him, he may work out. Gotsis went higher than some expected, but he's a perfect fit for what Wade Phillips wants out of his DE's. I know Slimm and Awsi have been high on Gotsis for a while. Justin Simmons and Connor McGovern are two of my favorites at their positions. I wasn't as high on Booker as the consensus, but I do think he was a good value in the 4th. I didn't watch Will Parks. John Elway hits HR after HR in Denver.

There's an attitude they got in their players that I like, guys like Jakeem Grant, Leonte Carroo, Jordan Lucas.

They're clearly being consistent with the themes that they've previously laid out, which I like. Xavien Howard is consistent with what brought them Byron Maxwell, as is Jordan Lucas (who will play corner and rightly so). The mismatch players (Jakeem Grant, Thomas Duarte, Kenyan Drake) are all Adam Gase. Yet they also picked up a player in Leonte Carroo that the WR Coach Shawn Jefferson believes will be a star in the league, so not just a mismatch player.

And I'm pretty sure they let Dan Marino have some say on the QB choice.

I like Denver's draft. Not as high on Lynch, but he has physical talent, and if they can spoon feed him, he may work out. Gotsis went higher than some expected, but he's a perfect fit for what Wade Phillips wants out of his DE's. I know Slimm and Awsi have been high on Gotsis for a while. Justin Simmons and Connor McGovern are two of my favorites at their positions. I wasn't as high on Booker as the consensus, but I do think he was a good value in the 4th. I didn't watch Will Parks. John Elway hits HR after HR in Denver.

I have a hunch McGovern might of been the Pats target when they traded up with us. And yeah, Elway is the top GM in football right now IMO.

I love how so many people were crapping on Lynch Pre draft, once he's drafted by Elway, they all shut up.

There's an attitude they got in their players that I like, guys like Jakeem Grant, Leonte Carroo, Jordan Lucas.

They're clearly being consistent with the themes that they've previously laid out, which I like. Xavien Howard is consistent with what brought them Byron Maxwell, as is Jordan Lucas (who will play corner and rightly so). The mismatch players (Jakeem Grant, Thomas Duarte, Kenyan Drake) are all Adam Gase. Yet they also picked up a player in Leonte Carroo that the WR Coach Shawn Jefferson believes will be a star in the league, so not just a mismatch player.

And I'm pretty sure they let Dan Marino have some say on the QB choice.

It's a nice change from philbin who clearly made an effort to draft the least alpha players he could find. He seemed obsessed with finding players he could easily control, completely overlooking the fact they were straight up soft.

What do you think of the QB we drafted? I watched a few games of him, perfect timing, great accuracy, decisive, doesn't freeze up under pressure. Looks like brohm coached him up really good. That arm though.....

I think he compares with Jared Goff in some surprising ways.

I've been onto Doughty since a year ago when there was a snafu and I thought he was actually part of the 2015 draft class but it turned out he had a fifth year of eligibility and was using it. I had watched what he did to Marshall and other teams in the Conference USA, the whole conference of which had become a bit of a pet project of mine that year.

He had a chance to really rise up the rankings a bit, I think, but he blew it a little at the Shrine week. He was pretty accurate all week but then in the game he just got blitzkrieged. Literally blitzed by linebackers that shouldn't have been allowed to blitz, lol. Kind of emphasized his physical shortcomings as far as handling pressure in the backfield.

Throws a nice ball, super productive, very accurate. He was very accurate all week. My question has always been how he'll handle pressure in the backfield. That continues. Goff handles it better which is why he's the guy that was drafted #1 overall.

Laremy Tunsil: No brainer, same agent as Adam Gase so that helped. If we had been picking at 8, we may not have had the time to digest information and make a good decision.

Xavien Howard: Prototype for Vance Joseph but still needs to be coached up. He may not start the season as the starter but should compete by mid-season with Tony Lippett, who I really like.

Kenyan Drake: Think Tony Nathan. Both from Bama, Both RB's, both drafted in round 3. Drake is probably more physically gifted and doesn't fumble as much. Nathan fumbled A LOT! The only think Drake doesn't have is much experience returning punts. Nathan was a swiss army knife who once had 650 yards receiving. WR, RB, KR, PR, Gunner, punt blocker. I was surprised he went this high but not bad.

Leonte Carroo: Jarvis Landry 2.0. I don;t know how anyone can watch tape on LC and not think of Landry. He is slightly bigger and much faster.

Let's not forget....

Kiko Alonso and Byron Maxwell

The rest....

Jakeem Grant: Boom or bust as is always the case with these pocket sized players. Is he Trindon Holiday or Darrel Sproles? No punt return experience but he will compete to give Landry a break.

I don't like giving up 4 draft picks but if we can find 3 starters, possibly 4 or 6 (not counting Maxwell and Alonso). No one will care. No one already doesn't care about trading down considering who we landed.

Our line is pretty much improved two-fold over last two years. Sign Matt Slauson and really solidify things for Tannehill and the running game.

Back
Top Bottom