Draft Forum post draft thoughts? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Forum post draft thoughts?

I like the way our draft unfolded, but like everyone else, I kinda wish we didn't have to trade picks from next year. The draft is as much luck in some cases because you only get to choose from who is available when you select. Tunisil was the best player in the draft and we were very lucky that he fell to us. What if he didnt? Im really not sure who we would have taken if he and Conklin were both gone at that spot. My best guess is that we would have taken the WVU safety possibly. It is just as likely though that we would have taken Howard there because he was a scheme fit.

I like Denver's draft. Not as high on Lynch, but he has physical talent, and if they can spoon feed him, he may work out. Gotsis went higher than some expected, but he's a perfect fit for what Wade Phillips wants out of his DE's. I know Slimm and Awsi have been high on Gotsis for a while. Justin Simmons and Connor McGovern are two of my favorites at their positions. I wasn't as high on Booker as the consensus, but I do think he was a good value in the 4th. I didn't watch Will Parks. John Elway hits HR after HR in Denver.

I thought Booker was a day 2 pick & no I'm not being biased.

I am worried because the Utes have Wannstedt lite as HC & Booker was the offense here in SLC the last 2 seasons

I thought Booker was a day 2 pick & no I'm not being biased.

I am worried because the Utes have Wannstedt lite as HC & Booker was the offense here in SLC the last 2 seasons

You're definitely not alone in that valuation of Booker, so I wouldn't accuse you of being biased. I just wasn't as high on him. Think he'll be a great fit in Denver, though.

How did Jonathan Bullard last until the 3rd? Great athlete, very productive at the highest level of competition, versatile, high motor. I don't put too much stock into PFF, but they graded him out as the best run-defending DT in the draft. Forgetting the absurdity of comparing the run defense of a player like Bullard to a player like Reed, Robinson, Billings, Clark, etc., Bullard showed strong in the games I watched, and it's encouraging to see that he graded out consistently. I wouldn't say he's the best run defender because PFF said so, but if he grades out as the best, he's probably pretty good in that area. Chicago has a very up and down draft, but they got their best player in the 3rd RD.

I'm watching more tape of Xavien Howard against SMU. It's hard to be inspired about this pick. Maybe I'm just watching the wrong games for inspiration, but I haven't disliked the film of one of our drafted cbs thus much since Jason Allen.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Xavien Howard is the highest drafted DB (2-7) from Baylor since Gary Green was drafted at 10th overall in 1977!

Other than that, they haven't really churned out much talent in the secondary other than.....

1990, Robert Blackmon pick 2-9
1983, Cedric Mack 2-16
2001, Gary Baxter 2-31

Most of the others are 6th and 7th rounders. Baylor secondary coaches are not exactly setting the world on fire.

I don't see any that have made an impact in the NFL in quite some time.

I hope it's a case of a talented guy who just needs some higher level coaching.

From what I have taken from scouting reports, he was dominant in his ability to mirror and shadow underneath. He got in trouble when trying to turn and run vertically with receivers in man coverage. He was noted for being fairly advanced in "mental processing" zone coverage and is very physical to press WR's at the line.

All of these traits point to more success in the zone coverage we will run. He will have help over the top from the safety once the receiver is out of the flat or zone he is covering.

We definitely need him sooner than later.

Xavien Howard is the highest drafted DB (2-7) from Baylor since Gary Green was drafted at 10th overall in 1977!

Other than that, they haven't really churned out much talent in the secondary other than.....

1990, Robert Blackmon pick 2-9
1983, Cedric Mack 2-16
2001, Gary Baxter 2-31

Most of the others are 6th and 7th rounders. Baylor secondary coaches are not exactly setting the world on fire.

I don't see any that have made an impact in the NFL in quite some time.

I hope it's a case of a talented guy who just needs some higher level coaching.

From what I have taken from scouting reports, he was dominant in his ability to mirror and shadow underneath. He got in trouble when trying to turn and run vertically with receivers in man coverage. He was noted for being fairly advanced in "mental processing" zone coverage and is very physical to press WR's at the line.

All of these traits point to more success in the zone coverage we will run. He will have help over the top from the safety once the receiver is out of the flat or zone he is covering.

We definitely need him sooner than later.

To note: Even if the coverage of Cover 2 zone is called, the CB's still have the responsibility of the outside vertical route if no underneath threat presents itself and the offense floods the opposite side of the field moving the S off the hash toward the action.

To note: Even if the coverage of Cover 2 zone is called, the CB's still have the responsibility of the outside vertical route if no underneath threat presents itself and the offense floods the opposite side of the field moving the S off the hash toward the action.

Good point, but the CB would still receive help underneath, which is not there in straight man.

Watching more of Howard... seems like he is confused quite often about the coverage calls at the line because he is throwing his hands up in the air presnap as if he doesn't know the coverage call. I'm just reading body language so you might interpret it dfferently. Also he should know when he doesn't have deep safety help and he let's the wr get on top of him early for a score. That might be an undisciplined safety at fault there but it happens a lot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I agree. I made a lengthy post in the main forum an hour or so ago, on the same theme. Tannehill had multiple games last season with very high YPA but we scored an absurdly low number of points in those games. Gase is not going to tolerate that type of thing. This draft was designed to provide an artificial bump, if you want to call it that, in terms of cheap field position and yards and therefore points.

I just hope we got it out of our system because the cost was too high and there were other targets and routes available. You need multiple guys in mind and allow them to fall to you, to avoid the panic and overpaying. John Harbaugh gave an excellent interview to NFL Network yesterday regarding the Ravens' fourth round with all the picks. Everybody has raved -- so to speak -- about Baltimore choices in that round. I was amazed at their haul, with some of my favorites like Willie Henry and Kenneth Dixon. Harbaugh detailed that some guys were throwing things in the draft room as that round progressed, but Ozzie Newsome in charge was cool like a Star Trek captain and merely allowed the process to play out. In other words, Baltimore didn't get everybody they targeted in that round. It merely appeared that way, because the overall approach and prioritization is so sound

* I want to comment on the televised coverage. I watch ESPN at first take but I eventually watch both networks in full, taping the NFL Network version for later viewing.

ESPN had a dominant edge in the first round, primarily due to Jon Gruden. He is extra special. You don't know what you'll get out of him, while everyone else is mostly familiar and standard fare. Gruden understands that many of these guys will bust, even in the first round. He finds distinct weaknesses and isn't concerned about emphasizing them above the gushing. Riddick tried to keep up with Gruden during that first round but I thought some of his critical packages were forced and overdone. Regardless, it was an incredibly refreshing real world slant and presentation. The remainder of the draft really suffered without Gruden.

* Day Two belonged to NFL Network, especially the first hour when ESPN wobbled. NFL Network did a much better job of showing picks live from the podium while ESPN was wandering and mumbling. Urban Meyer always says something fascinating and different about football technique and evolution at certain positions. Meyer is better than David Shaw in that role. Daniel Jermemiah should be spotlighted beginning on Day Two, like ESPN elevates McShay, instead of relegating Jeremiah to the back table until the third day. Makes little sense.

* I rip NFL Network deservedly every year largely because it is such a juvenile presentation. Rich Eisen has no business in that role. This year on Saturday they took it to lower and more disgusting level. NFL Network was actually winning the day with live picks from remote locations until Eisen and particularly Mike Mayock somehow resorted to the familiar 9th grade locker room banter surrounding the choice of Deon Bush. If that type of television were ideal then Sean Salisbury would be the star of every sports network. Eisen couldn't contain himself with giggles and the entire panel, with the possible exception of Jeremiah, seemingly had no clue how out of line it was. Eisen waved off the segment and went to an abrupt commercial since he couldn't manage a competent sentence.

Keep in mind I'm watching this long after the fact. When they went to commercial I wondered if the entire crew would return intact. I thought somebody atop the network might insist on an immediate suspension, at least for a while. That's how bad it was. The 9th grade locker room material is not creative or funny and only reflects poorly on the person(s) offering it. I am pleased that this site does not partake very often, notably in contrast to another Dolphins forum that I visit occasionally. That crew is often low class and seemingly doesn't realize it.

And there was a dramatic change once Eisen and Co. returned. They got an earful from producers during the break. I've never seen that group so subdued and busniesslike during the draft coverage, and it lasted for an extended period. The earful was well deserved.

NFL Network did rescue the situation during the interview with the German guy and coverage of his drafting by the Vikings. Well done. Great TV. far better than anything ESPN managed.

Both networks did a good job yesterday with far fewer interviews with NFL coaches and general managers than standard on day three. Normally they offer nothing. John Harbaugh is an exception and was smartly chosen.

Interesting take on the draft coverage. I fast forwarded to Dolphin picks since I don't get a lot of time with my family so I missed the Eisen thing on Deon Bush, but I can imagine what was said.

I will say that their Path to the Draft show is somewhat disappointing. I watched one where the focus was only on two players...Gott and Wentz. Most of the topics were first round picks and I would have loved for the show to dig deep like many do here with prospects.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOVED the first pick, went to bed dreaming of such a good draft lol. Next day was a big let down for me though. I know we needed a cb but this team isnt competing for the championship right now. I wouldve much rather went BPA there at really any position in the 2nd round.

Then Kenyan Drake, I dont even know what to say about this pick. I could start with the fact that hes basically only a utility type of guy that you try and give the ball to a few times a game and not a potential 3 down back like Booker or Dixon.

But what bothered me more about the Drake pick isnt the guy himself because he definitely is talented, its that we drafted him probably 2 rounds before we needed. I know thats just speculation but even Drake himself was surprised he was picked so soon lol.

Don't sell Drake short. I think he'll get more opportunities than a lot of fans think. But, I get what you're saying. The team could have targeting a running back later.

Howard was definitely a reach, but the kind a lot of NFL team are making for simple supply versus demand needs. There are so many talented big bodied receivers in the NFL and not enough corners to match up. That's why an Eli Apple goes 10th when he's probably somewhere in the 25-30 range in terms of best player available. Howard and the kid from the U. of Miami were probably just outside the top 50 overall.

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

In my mind one of our first 2 round pics was always going to be a cornerback.

Cornerbacks have an impossible learning curve to predict. We needed one now, I think this staff was dead set on getting one now in there first year so they could immediately start developing the secondary. Because at the end of the day that is Josephs first job to do here, fix the secondary.

Agree. I think the target, had Laremy Tunsil not fallen into the teams' lap, was William Jackson III. Then who knows what happens in round 2.

Back
Top Bottom