Draft Gurus | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Gurus

tical

Rookie
Reaction score
Draft Gurus..FO Drafting Habits

Have this regime ever drafted someone they didn't interview or spend time with?

If not , doesn't that pretty much mean if you can make a list of whom they've spoken too..well thats pretty much the candidates from whom they'll be selecting or vice-versa!

i don't know, to be honest, but our FO has done a poor job of hiding their interest in certain players in the past.

Yeah thats what i was afraid of..from my recollection normally who they interview at some stage..if that player is their they tend to draft him regardless of who may have unexpectedly fell...

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

They totally telegraphed the Jake Long pick by finalizing the contract before they drafted him.

To some degree i can understand that...especially considering no one was willing to trade for the #1 overall pick.

We really didn't interview Merling that much, but at the time, he was seen as great value.

I don't think we really showed a lot of interest in Vontae either.

But honestly, our FO is not that bad with this type of thing. Really, the only picks I remember saying for sure were going to happen were Langford, AJ Edds, Reshard Jones (we flew him down to Miami twice and took him out to dinner both times), and Austin Spitler (Parcells loved him). And you want to draft a prospect you at least know a little bit about.

We really didn't interview Merling that much, but at the time, he was seen as great value.

I don't think we really showed a lot of interest in Vontae either.

But honestly, our FO is not that bad with this type of thing. Really, the only picks I remember saying for sure were going to happen were Langford, AJ Edds, Reshard Jones (we flew him down to Miami twice and took him out to dinner both times), and Austin Spitler (Parcells loved him). And you want to draft a prospect you at least know a little bit about.

Really i didn't know that about Reshard Jones! Thus it would seem that our obvious QB pick would be Kap, Dalton or Ponder! I havent heard of them spending much time with any O/D-line man, hell few Defensive players...mostly the QB,TE,RB and WR position.

Yeah thats what i was afraid of..from my recollection normally who they interview at some stage..if that player is their they tend to draft him regardless of who may have unexpectedly fell...

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

To some degree i can understand that...especially considering no one was willing to trade for the #1 overall pick.

Just a joke, dude.

Take it as you will but I just read in an Omar blog the other day they didn't meet or speak to Pat White once before they drafted him.

Have this regime ever drafted someone they didn't interview or spend time with?

If not , doesn't that pretty much mean if you can make a list of whom they've spoken too..well thats pretty much the candidates from whom they'll be selecting or vice-versa!

I know that in 2009 and 2010, Simon Clancy (Boomer) has been putting together a list of interviews and people the Dolphins have shown interest in for our Draft Winds segments on the South Florida Sun Sentinel (Dave Hyde's blog), with some minor help from myself and Richard Lines, and the Dolphins have only drafted 2 players that we didn't have on those lists. That's 15 out of 17 draft picks. Yes, our lists tend to be pretty long, but in order for our accuracy to be random we would have had to name 450 players over the two years. In actuality we named less than half that many. So we only name 40 to 45% of the player drafted, but our list encompasses 90% of what the Dolphins end up doing.

So yeah, safe to say the Dolphins typically only draft people they've met with and shown interest in.

Back
Top Bottom