Draft Jake Long | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Jake Long

NJ Dolphan

Rookie
Reaction score
Take Jake Long even if we can't trade the pick. Off the top of my head, the stud to bust ratio for OTs taken with one of the top 10 picks is much better than any other position, especially quarterback.

Tony Boselli, Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace and Joe Thomas all made an immediate impact. Robert Gallery is the only recent major bust that comes to mind. Tony Mandarin a blast from the past.

A good o-line makes decent quarterbacks good and can turn above-average quarterbacks into Pro Bowlers.

Take Jake Long even if we can't trade the pick. Off the top of my head, the stud to bust ratio for OTs taken with one of the top 10 picks is much better than any other position, especially quarterback.

Tony Boselli, Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace and Joe Thomas all made an immediate impact. Robert Gallery is the only recent major bust that comes to mind. Tony Mandarin a blast from the past.

A good o-line makes decent quarterbacks good and can turn above-average quarterbacks into Pro Bowlers.

Tackles bust just like any other position. For example:
2001 - Kenyatta Walker was taken at #14 overall by the Bucs.
2002 - Mike Williams was taken at #4 overall by Bills
2004 - Robert Gallery was taken at #2 overall by Raiders

I recognize that OTs bust, but seems to me they're less "bust-prone" than other positions, especially quarterbacks, which is why I'm not on the Matt Ryan bandwagon.

It won't be a sexy pick, but (my opinion) more of a sure thing than anyone else.

...and don't forget D'Bustashaw Ferguson!

Ferguson really hasn't been im the NFL long enough to be declared a bust. He still has a chance of becoming a good LT, but he is struggling as of right now. Let's give him at least 1 more season before tagging him as a bust.

My first choice as well. I just think its a CRITICAL position. More critical than OLB.

Ferguson really hasn't been im the NFL long enough to be declared a bust. He still has a chance of becoming a good LT, but he is struggling as of right now. Let's give him at least 1 more season before tagging him as a bust.

You're right...I just can't help taking shots at the jets.

If you take the time to break down all of the 1st round Tackles (or top-ten overall tackles) selected in the past 10 drafts, you'll see that Tackles bust just like any other position.

I want Jake Long too, but he is as much of a question mark as Matt Ryan. There are no "sure things".

I like Jake Long, but Rick Gosselin is probably the best journalist in the nation on covering the draft. This is what he wrote on this year's offensive tackle class...

This class of blockers starts with Jake Long but doesn't end there. Ryan Clady (Montana), Jeff Otah (Pitt), Gosder Cherilus (Boston College) and Brandon Albert (Virginia) all jumped out at Indianapolis. Teams will be drafting wide-bodied tackles with the potential to become starters through seven rounds. "This is the best group of offensive tackles I've seen," said Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert, who has spent 24 years in the NFL.

There are going to be starting caliber offensive tackles in this draft taken in the 4th or 5th round this year. Why not address another position with the first pick in the draft and address OT later. You could have Brandon Albert sitting there at 32.

Back
Top Bottom