Draft Pass Rushers

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by zodiak, Mar 5, 2009.

1. zodiak

zodiak Starter

Dolfans

Im going to bang this drum till april 26th, every time I read a post about miami needs to draft a wr/cb/nt I get so frustrated this teams most glaring need is a PASS RUSH!

Lets look first at what miami did with its WR crew last year a street FA Camarillo was having an excellent year until his injury, an un-drafted FA Devon Bess was by the end of the season the best WR on the team even Brandon London was getting playing time at the end, yes I agree an upgrade in talent would be nice but this offense can function with the talent it has.
    Not to mention Parcells/Ireland have shown an ability to find WR talent late in the draft even UDFA(Bess in Mia. Miles Austin in Dallas).

As for CB well again look at what they did with Goodman,Nat Jones and to some degree Jason Allen when he played mid season, he had some success.

Now for the weakest part of the team the pass rush after Joey Porter this team had NO pass rush and 3.5 sacks just got cut, so where is the pass rush going to come from? is Porter going to get 17 sacks again? Charlie Anderson is he now going to all of a sudden going to be the pass rusher the texans then the dolphins thought he'd be? Moses,Roth, Cam Wake? do you get what Im saying guys this team needs not just one they need possibly 2 more legit pass rushers.

Until the draft comes and goes Im banging my pass rush drum

2. lbmclean_sj

lbmclean_sj Banned Hammered

load up baby!!!

unleash hell!!!!!

3. RUDEbyallMEANS

RUDEbyallMEANS Perennial All-Pro

A pass rusher is desperately needed...

4 Words...

Tom Brady is back.

4. ADavieDolphin

ADavieDolphin StickyIckyRicky

cushing in the first and cody brown/lawrence sidbury in the 3rd would be nice..

I dont think we need DE's, just LBs, i like our DL depth, just need a NT for future.
    Cam Wake wont be getting many sacks, he'll need one year to adjust to the talent level... Larry English would be more productive than Wake.. Either way, we need to upgrade all positions, and adding any one USC LB to play opposite of porter, and a late round tweener that can situational pass rush, whom will compete with wake..

I agree though, we need all defense, I'd be okay if we didn't get a WR until late day 2... If we can get a top 5 defense, our trickery, effiency and weapons should get us to the playoffs yet again

5. I am Bane

I am Bane BAKLAVA

ILB that instinctively gets into the backfield to make plays and cause havoc.... i have been saying his all season and off-season.... thats a guy i would be looking for in the draft for sure!!!

i think out DL will start coming around, very young, year under their belts..... no Vonnie though :(

6. Elliott 1

Elliott 1 Banned Hammered

What the pass rush really needs is a bigger push up the middle.

But there is only one guy in this years draft who may be able to bring that and he is a dimwit and going top 10.

Roth won't be starting, it will be Wake most of the time. The outside rush and blitzing of Ayodele and Bell will be good.

Crowder sucks at blitzing and Fergusson is stout against the run but he really has no push up the middle resulting in teams being able to spend more time on our Ends.

That's why I am praying that Ndamukong Suh becomes a Dolphin in the 2010 draft. This kid does it all, including rush the passer.

7. FINMAN13

FINMAN13 Starter

While I agree that Miami has a major need for a pass rusher. I think they will look to upgrade the blitz packages and give Camaron/Derek Wake a shot.

No pass rush = WR open within 3-5 seconds.

However...

No pass rush w/ no #2 & #3 CB's = WR open after the snap.

The biggest need is a CB that has the potential to unseat W. Allen in after this season. Will Allen is a FA next season and Miami has nobody in the lobby to take his place.

Miami will need about 2 offseasons to upgrade the corner position. It will take about the same amount of time to upgrade MLB (Akin's Future Replacement) and OLB (Porters Future Replacement). But in the mean time that position is much better off than their our CB's.

I think finding a NT is more pressing than our LB's. Other teams still apply pressure with less talent using blitz packages. There should be no reason that Miami cannot improve on it's blitz packages this season.

If M. Jenkins or V. Davis slip down to around 15-18, I would not be surprised to see Miami trade UP. That is how bad our CB's are right now.

8. jlfin

jlfin old pro

The assumption that English will be more prepared for the NFL than Wake is erroneous.
    Wake is bigger and faster and played in the CFL. Week in and week out I believe the CFL has better competition than college football.
    I also believe that Wake is significantly more mature than the average 22 yo rookie and is hungry to prove he belongs in the NFL

9. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 FinHeaven VIP

Really? Cam Wake's going to start? You've gotta be kidding - a CFL star who's yet to play a down of NFL football will start?

10. JT-forpresident

JT-forpresident Believe In Miami

the top 5 powerhouses of the ncaa could beat a CFL team, trust me

11. Elliott 1

Elliott 1 Banned Hammered

No kidding; Roth is a backup. Wake may yet get beat out by a draft pick like Conor Barwin but not Roth. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Roth is traded.

12. richied06

richied06 Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree with the idea of adding to our pass rush. Parcell type teams our built behind relentless pressure from the linebacker position. The only glaring need besides our quarterback pressure in last year's draft was the left tackle position, which was the reasoning behind last year's pick. I believe we will go linebacker with 25. There will be a run of linebackers in the first round. I believe Miami will feel the pressure to address that position before the talent drops off in the later rounds. Similar to last years tackle sweep in the first round.

13. jlfin

jlfin old pro

I agree. Roth just doesn't seem to fit our system. He would be a solid 4-3 DE.

14. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 FinHeaven VIP

Which is why they moved him to a 3-4 OLB and started every game last year? And why the rushing average to he and Kendall Langford's side was amongst the lowest in the league?

Unless Cameron Wake (who is probably more suited to play WOLB anyways) is the second coming of Shawn Merriman, the only way Matt Roth won't start is if he's released/traded (highly unlikely) or a draft pick beats him out (pretty unlikely).

As much as I'd like to upgrade Matt Roth - I really don't see a replacement out there available. Da'Quan Bowers of Clemson would be ideal, but he's only going into his sophomore season at Clemson.

15. richied06

richied06 Well-Known Member

Roth is a back up and would be valuable for goal line packages. 4-3 DE I still don't see. His arms are too short. Roth offers depth in which we know he can play the position so I don't believe he will be traded.

16. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious I love lamp Finheaven VIP Donator

i think Roth is the least of our problems right now. he is no Merriman, but let's face it, no one is. he isn't in the same category as LaMarr Woodley either, but then again, he just might have been the best SOLB last season.

since many people like to model our defense after the Ravens', Roth played just about as well as Jarret Johnson. both are excellent against the run and both are marginal as pass-rushers. compare their impact on the game if you don't believe me. i agree that we have to find one or two more pass-rushers, but it's going to be hard for an inexperienced player to come in and supplant Roth just like that.

if anything we could use some more push up the middle from our ILBs/DL. that's where the Ravens got our number by a wide margin.

17. Summie_Logs

Summie_Logs Active Member

Roth does well at SLB considering this was his first season playing the position. Has anyone heard of Roth shedding weight and trying to gain speed?

Elite pass rushers don't just fall out of the sky. I'm not aware of any that will still be around come 25. At #1 Dolphins go NT if available, WR if their guy is available, and then LB.

18. jlfin

jlfin old pro

I'm not sure about that. But if I recall, Wake played at some obscure NCAA program. I believe it was some school called Penn State. :chuckle:

19. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

I'm with you 100%. I'll beat that drum with you...the big bass drum. It's easy to get caught up with the sexy picks: big, tall, athletic WRs and CBs; HOWEVER, many forget how alot of the opponents the Dolphins went up against last year had way too much time to throw the ball. Examples are all over the place, but you need to look no further than the Ravens playoff game. We got no pressure whatsoever, and Flacco had all day to throw the ball. Teams who go deep in the playoffs have a good to great pass rush, and we don't have a good pass rush. Tom Brady had one of the best offenses EVER, and it did them no good in the Superbowl because Brady was harassed by the pass rush.

I absolutely want a #1 WR here in the worst way, as well as a #1 corner, but the top priority has to be pass rusher, especially given Parcells' track record. We've plugged multiple holes in the offseason. As I see it, the main needs are: LB, CB, NT, WR. We need more meat & potatoes in our draft before we move on to the sexy picks.

I don't follow college football, so I wouldn't know too much about the players, but when pick #25 comes around, I'm looking for a LB, but it depends on what's available when they pick. If an OLB or DE tweener is available that the Trifecta feels has that "makeup" they always talk about, IMO, they will definitely go for the LB.

My guess is that the first three picks will be, in no particular order:
    LB
    CB
    WR

20. Rio

Rio Competition-The Elixir Of Success!

Cameron Wake ring a bell?
    he'll tandem with Porter to pressure NFL QB's right into their worst nightmare.
    MattRoth wiil compete for the atart with Ayodele for an inside position with Crowder

there will be plenty of pressure brought to bare in 09.

21. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

I'm aware of Cameron Wake. He also needs to be pushed. They won't just hand him the starting job, and especially in a 3-4, you need LB depth.

22. NoblePhin

NoblePhin Starter Donator

roth needs to get back to his playing weight in his iowa montage