Draft Rumors | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Rumors

Have to think they're playing him. He's part of one of the strongest position groups in the draft, and he's put up one productive season - couldn't even call him a one-year wonder. In addition to that, he's ridiculously overrated as an athlete. He's just a bad bet in the early 1st. Guys like Beasley, Dupree, and Gregory are great bets - assuming Gregory doesn't smoke himself out of the league. Beasley seems like a good fit for Jacksonville. You have a polished, dynamic pass rusher with high-end physical tools. Red flags for Gregory aside, I think any of Beasley, Dupree, or Gregory would be a good pick for Jacksonville. I think Fowler would be a very poor pick.

Speaking of Edge/DE, Frank Clark looks to have his legal issues behind him, and one of the nfl.com guys (maybe LZ) reported that some GM's were talking about him in the top 100. How do you feel about Clark as a prospect?

Couldn't disagree more on Fowler.

I think it's almost a certainty that Shelton falls to Miami and continues falling. The 40 is overrated, but teams do use it as a cutoff, and in recent seasons, the slowest 40 for a DT taken in the 1st round was Michael Brocker's 5.36. Shelton, of course, ran a 5.64. Of course, the immediate reaction will be, 'Well, he's a NT, so you don't care how fast he runs.' It's true that if you're drafting a guy to just clog things up, you don't care how fast he runs (to some extent), but you don't draft those guys in the 1st round. The 40 time indicates that Shelton is too slow to impact the passing game, and any 1st round pick should do that. I like the idea of looking for a pass rusher or a DT in the 1st, because the talent is good at those positions. I'd prefer Carl Davis or Malcom Brown to Shelton, but I'd favor Davis. I have Goldman as more of a late 1st, but I'd also favor him to Shelton.

As a prospect, I'd say Carl Davis is like Michael Brockers with Ra'Shede Hageman's physical tools. On passing sets, I don't see teams doubling Shelton consistently - playing next to Suh - and I don't see Shelton as having the physical tools to make teams pay for blocking him 1-on-1. I don't think teams would/could do the same thing with Carl Davis. He'd presents a quandary for opposing teams, and I think he and Suh would make for the most dominant DT combo in the NFL by Davis' 2nd season.

Shelton is overrated as a pass rusher. I think he's solid enough that he can survive in base defense, but on 3rd & 7, this is not a player you want on the field. He's a very good run defender who is strong at the point, and can anchor vs double teams. His best attribute is his range and motor. I think because of the range he showed, people were expecting a freakish 40 time. His combine performance did nothing to make me change my opinion of him. He was never a top 5 talent like the media guys were selling him as, but I think he's a 1st rounder in any draft class. With Mitchell and Suh I'm not sure this pick makes a ton of sense.

### Cornerback Charles Gaines isn't the only Louisville defensive back with whom the Dolphins have spent time. They also brought in safety Gerod Holliman.... The Dolphins’ draft search has included multiple calls on a former standout rugby player in New Zealand (BYU running back Paul Lasike). He had 79 carries for 364 yards last season (4.6 per carry). He also caught 25 passes for 267 yards

Miami Herald

To follow on to Jaworski (and others) who have said that the Bucs prefer Mariota, there's this (from a former Bucs employee):

NFL Philosophy @NFLosophy · 55m 55 minutes ago
The Bucs plan on drafting Marcus Mariota if they can't find a suitable option to trade down.

NFL Philosophy @NFLosophy · 31m 31 minutes ago
I don't break news. I don't take this lightly. This is not what I think they should do. If you think I'm trolling for clicks, I'm not.

Bad news for us. Any scenario which makes it more likely that the Jets end up with Winston is bad news for the Dolphins.

To follow on to Jaworski (and others) who have said that the Bucs prefer Mariota, there's this (from a former Bucs employee):

NFL Philosophy @NFLosophy · 55m 55 minutes ago
The Bucs plan on drafting Marcus Mariota if they can't find a suitable option to trade down.

NFL Philosophy @NFLosophy · 31m 31 minutes ago
I don't break news. I don't take this lightly. This is not what I think they should do. If you think I'm trolling for clicks, I'm not.

Bad news for us. Any scenario which makes it more likely that the Jets end up with Winston is bad news for the Dolphins.

I agree. Would rather they take Mariota. Hopefully someone trades up for Winston...I think he presents a lot more value in a trade up than Mariota does.

bucs will take winston...this whole things silly

I've heard rumors of the owners not wanting to take a chance on Winston due to his off field issues. Plus it's Lovie Smith who knows nothing about QBs. I think Grossman may have been the best QB he ever had starting for him.

I dont buy it...i think tampas all in for winston unless he gets in trouble in the next 17 days

Winston and Mariota are so different I find it baffling that a team would have trouble choosing between the two.

Whatever you like or dislike about one guy is the polar opposite for the other guy.

Plus they would perform best in different offensive schemes.

IF you have any kind of offensive philosophy or QB preference the decision between the two should be pretty simple.

And count me among the masses who think this is all BS and that Tampa will take Winston.

If Tampa takes Mariota then Winstons off the field issues are off the charts. The talent gap is the largest I've seen between a #1 and #2 QB prospect, ever.

If Tampa takes Mariota then Winstons off the field issues are off the charts. The talent gap is the largest I've seen between a #1 and #2 QB prospect, ever.

More than say...Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf?

I feel like this happens every year. The top team says, "We will pick so and so...OR WILL WE?!?!?!?" to get other teams to stick their necks out and see if there are any other offers to trade for the top spot. Consider it due diligence. :)

More than say...Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf?

Well, I was 8 in 98' so the draft wasn't very high on my list of priorities.

But I would have to give the nod to Manning vs. Leaf ..come to think of it Luck vs. Griffin might be worse as well.

So Winston vs. Mariota is the 3rd biggest talent disparity between #1 and #2 prospects I've been alive for.

That's your opinion and its not a universal belief. Some have Mariota rated higher. I can accept your belief that Winston is a better prospect, but your last sentence is pure hyperbole.

Back
Top Bottom