Draft Rumors | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Rumors

I think it's almost a certainty that Shelton falls to Miami and continues falling. The 40 is overrated, but teams do use it as a cutoff, and in recent seasons, the slowest 40 for a DT taken in the 1st round was Michael Brocker's 5.36. Shelton, of course, ran a 5.64. Of course, the immediate reaction will be, 'Well, he's a NT, so you don't care how fast he runs.' It's true that if you're drafting a guy to just clog things up, you don't care how fast he runs (to some extent), but you don't draft those guys in the 1st round. The 40 time indicates that Shelton is too slow to impact the passing game, and any 1st round pick should do that. I like the idea of looking for a pass rusher or a DT in the 1st, because the talent is good at those positions. I'd prefer Carl Davis or Malcom Brown to Shelton, but I'd favor Davis. I have Goldman as more of a late 1st, but I'd also favor him to Shelton.

As a prospect, I'd say Carl Davis is like Michael Brockers with Ra'Shede Hageman's physical tools. On passing sets, I don't see teams doubling Shelton consistently - playing next to Suh - and I don't see Shelton as having the physical tools to make teams pay for blocking him 1-on-1. I don't think teams would/could do the same thing with Carl Davis. He'd presents a quandary for opposing teams, and I think he and Suh would make for the most dominant DT combo in the NFL by Davis' 2nd season.
But, you have to think that having one DT that eats up space while having the other wreak havoc in the backfield isnt a bad idea. I think they would compliment each other very well. We have all seen what happens when you're guys get too far upfield nowadays with all the screens and qb runs. I wouldn't worry one bit about his speed. Suh has speed for both of them.

But, you have to think that having one DT that eats up space while having the other wreak havoc in the backfield isnt a bad idea. I think they would compliment each other very well. We have all seen what happens when you're guys get too far upfield nowadays with all the screens and qb runs. I wouldn't worry one bit about his speed. Suh has speed for both of them.

I think you're overestimating Shelton. He's not going to wreak havoc. Ideally, he'll eat up blockers and hold his ground, but I think he has a ways to go before he does that well.

“@SiClancy: Fisher joins DJ Humphries and Ereck Flowers as players the Dolphins have shown considerable interest in as high round prospects.”

“@SiClancy: Miami will also host Fresno State guard Cody Wichmann on April 17th. He's a late round, FA type, a mauler from the same HS as Logan Mankins.”

My understanding is that Mariota's character closes the gap considerably for a lot of teams.

ANd while some may not agree, according to Bill Polian many scouts feel Mariota actually scans the field better than Winston

the mariota sees the field better than winston stuff should be the obvious tell polians being taken for a ride

“@SiClancy: Fisher joins DJ Humphries and Ereck Flowers as players the Dolphins have shown considerable interest in as high round prospects.”

“@SiClancy: Miami will also host Fresno State guard Cody Wichmann on April 17th. He's a late round, FA type, a mauler from the same HS as Logan Mankins.”

Ereck Flowers is a local kid so he doesn't count against the 30 limit. I think we've had every player from the U come in for a visit. I don't see Flowers as a fit for us.

Wichmann is interesting. Only ranked on one of the sites I use and he's #387 on that site as it is. Seems to be picking up some steam after his pro day though. Has met with Atlanta, Kansas City, New England and Cincinnati so far. Has 50 career starts at Fresno State. Reportedly ran 4.95 40 at his pro day with a 1.73 split.

Watching NFL draft academy on espn, they did a phenomenal job with this. Reminds me HBO's 24/7.

Watching NFL draft academy on espn, they did a phenomenal job with this. Reminds me HBO's 24/7.

Was that the show with Winston working on shortening his delivery? If so, I saw it and it was very well done. I was surprised that Winston accepted that aspect and was so determined to change his mechanics. He really needs to get the ball out of there quicker. The guy working with him summarized the problems very well.

Was that the show with Winston working on shortening his delivery? If so, I saw it and it was very well done. I was surprised that Winston accepted that aspect and was so determined to change his mechanics. He really needs to get the ball out of there quicker. The guy working with him summarized the problems very well.

I dunno, I stop paying attention when winston speaks. But he was def on there, john crockett was one of the festured rooks also.

I'm not sure to what degree, but I do think the release will be quicker than it was in college, because he's done with baseball. You'll find out when the bullets fly his first pre-season game. The release was quicker and more compact at the combine, and even more at the pro day. I don't think he'll ever be Aaron Rodgers or Dan Marino getting rid of the ball, but I think it will improve marginally.

I think he's completely full of ****, think he's practiced his lines over and over, knows exactly what to say, and has continued to get away with whatever he wants.

I think it's a huge joke one in the media even asks him About the rape investigation which everyone involved seemed guilty of something.

Something's got to give with Danny Shelton. I just watched last night's Path to the Draft. They were gushing in unison over Shelton, all but assigning a spot in the top ten. Meanwhile, many draft sites are mentioning the tendencies that j-off-her-doll noted here a few days ago, regarding slow-40 and bad-testing interior defensive linemen sliding in the draft.

I think he's completely full of ****, think he's practiced his lines over and over, knows exactly what to say, and has continued to get away with whatever he wants.

I think it's a huge joke one in the media even asks him About the rape investigation which everyone involved seemed guilty of something.

What would be the point of asking him about it now? He would either come straight out and say he's innocent or give a politically correct evasive answer. At this point I don't see the point, now that the legal system has ruled on the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom