Draft Rumors | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Rumors

Something's got to give with Danny Shelton. I just watched last night's Path to the Draft. They were gushing in unison over Shelton, all but assigning a spot in the top ten. Meanwhile, many draft sites are mentioning the tendencies that j-off-her-doll noted here a few days ago, regarding slow-40 and bad-testing interior defensive linemen sliding in the draft.

Honesty, this entire draft is like that, very few players that everyone remotely agrees on. It's honestly the most unpredictable draft I've really paid attention to, many busts will be drafted for sure.

What would be the point of asking him about it now? He would either come straight out and say he's innocent or give a politically correct evasive answer. At this point I don't see the point, now that the legal system has ruled on the issue.

The legal system ran quite a shiesty investigation in most peoples eyes. These players become rich and famous, and become role models and faces of franchises, IMO it shouldn't be a problem for the media to ask the tough questions. When he talks, you can tell this is a guy who clearly knows how to game the system.

He didn't steal those crab legs because he was broke and hungry, he stole them because he does what he wants without facing any real repercussions, that's then kind of guy he is.

Speaking of Danny Shelton, I appreciated this breakdown from FootballOutsiders. It was posted yesterday. The author questioned Shelton's pursuit speed, saying it's not close to some of the players he has been compared to. He described Shelton as, "the guy with the mop and the bucket."

I agree with that, along with the summary late in the column that Shelton is a useful player but simply not a high first round talent. I expect him to slide, although it only takes one team to disagree.

I found it interesting that all 3 highly rated Husky defenders scored below 50% in those SPARQ metrics. Maybe that's why that defense had so many awful moments, including surrendering 44 at home to UCLA and barely contesting the first half of the bowl game, trailing 24-0. It was amusing to listen to Chris Peterson try to gush over those guys a few days ago on NFL Network, when he was so obviously annoyed at his defense so often throughout the season. Naturally a college coach can't badmouth his outgoing stars and expect potential recruits to be impressed.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2015/futures-washington-dt-danny-shelton

You know, there's a lot of talk about the various mea culpas and what-kind-of-a-guy-are-they-really evals of guys like Gregory, Peters and DGB, but I gotta be honest, if I'm pegging any of them to be full of **** and continue to be a huge problem in the NFL, it's Peters. Consider this:

The MMQB: What happens if you get drafted by a coach similar to Petersen?

Peters: That system was a great system, but I didn’t give myself an opportunity to fit in. At the same time, I need to be myself 100% of the time. If I can’t do that, I can’t be at my best on the field. I’m going to be a genuine person to the people in the facility or it’s not going to work. I try to look back now and think about what I can fix when I get to another team.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/04/16/nfl-draft-prospects-team-visits-blake-bortles/3/

This sort of a head fake toward apology that's really a rationalization of his behavior is part of Peters' pattern, and I'm disturbed by it. Consider this story from USA Today back in February. It's full of contrite sounding quotes like:

"I don't blame (Petersen) for anything. All I can blame is myself, because I made those decisions and I have to live with them. Now I'll have to man up and I've got to answer these questions in interviews, and all I can do is sit there and answer truthfully and honestly."

But then the story -- ostensibly designed by Peters' handlers to make Peters look good --veers into passages like this:

So why, some general manager is certain to ask, will it be any different if Peters is drafted high, handed a multimillion-dollar bonus and told to play the way coaches want him to?

"If he believes in you like you believe in him, Marcus will do any and everything you ask of him. That has never been an issue," said Donté Williams, a former Washington graduate assistant who now coaches defensive backs at San Jose State.

"It's no different than any other football player. They're all a little strong-headed, a little strong-willed at times. But once he understands the relationship – that you're the coach, he's the player, this is what I need you to do – Marcus has no problem doing that."

I mean, lets leave aside for a moment the fact that Peters has to be told this... that he has to have it reiterated to him. But then he doesn't even follow through. In a crucial late game situation against Eastern Washington, Peters head butts a guy and extends a drive, and comes to the sideline so pissed off he rips into the coaching staff, throwing what even he considers a "hissy fit". Peters says he should have been thrown off the team right there, but of course he's lying, because:

Petersen gave him another chance, and indications were Peters was taking advantage. His father, Michael Peters, said he got text messages from defensive backs coach Jimmy Lake that his son was buying in. When Peters was dismissed on Nov. 5, "it was a shocker to me," Michael Peters said, in part because Petersen hadn't reached out to discuss any new issues.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...peters-washington-nfl-draft-combine/23259443/

I simply don't believe this kid. He's a con man... just smart enough to know what to say but too dumb to realize what he should be doing.

As for the title of the thread, though, everything I've heard indicates we're fans, and you have to consider him high up on the possibles for #14. I'd personally stay away. He's full of ****.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-millers-scouting-notebook-2-weeks-from-draft

— The 2015 safety class is a unique one, and the consensus in the media seems to be that Landon Collins is the best of them all. But two college scouting directors I spoke to this week have Samford's Jaquiski Tartt rated as their top safety—and these are teams with a legitimate need at strong safety.

— In talking to sources with the Miami Dolphins, the team is expected to draft a big-bodied wide receiver either in the first or second round.

— USC wide receiver Nelson Agholor is receiving a lot of late-first round attention. Said one competing area scout, "I just hope he doesn't go to the Patriots. He'd be so great there."

— What will a pre-existing wrist injury do to Jaelen Strong's draft stock? I talked to four scouts Thursday afternoon and none indicated he would move down their board because of the injury.

that stuff on peters from walrus just further backs up my thoughts...stay away miami

I wouldn't draft Gregory DGB or peters in the 1st rnd.

If there's one thing I learned in business it's never put your word out there for someone else unless your willing to go down with that person.

why say no to Gregory? besides the drug test, am i missing something? not sure if he's the type of guy i'd lump together with DGB and Peters.

Am I missing something with Gregory? Grouping him with DGB and Peters seems unfair. Houston with the Chiefs had similar reports surface and check him out now.

im unconvinced that Tannenbaum knows how to scout at all.

coming from me I believe Tannenbaum know's how to scout Cornerbacks and if he takes him at #14 I wouldn't be mad because well look at Revis.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Revis was the most obvious stud CB in his draft class and a guy I wanted the Dolphins to draft...over the crappy QB from Notre Dame everyone wanted. Who else has Tannenbaum drafted at CB that makes you think he knows how to draft CBs? He was the Jets GM from 2006 - 2012...let's look.

DB Eric Smith
CB Drew Coleman

CB Darrelle Revis

CB Dwight Lowery

CB Kyle Wilson

I'm sure NYJunc will come on here to tell you all these guys are studs...but outside of Revis they're all pretty mediocre.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Revis was the most obvious stud CB in his draft class and a guy I wanted the Dolphins to draft...over the crappy QB from Notre Dame everyone wanted. Who else has Tannenbaum drafted at CB that makes you think he knows how to draft CBs? He was the Jets GM from 2006 - 2012...let's look.

DB Eric Smith
CB Drew Coleman

CB Darrelle Revis

CB Dwight Lowery

CB Kyle Wilson

I'm sure NYJunc will come on here to tell you all these guys are studs...but outside of Revis they're all pretty mediocre.

He traded up for Cro, not sure how you left that one out.

Eric smith and Coleman were 3rd and 6th rnd picks, I hardly think we should bash him for those guys not working out. I thought Kyle Wilson looked pretty promising at one point, not really sure what happened to him.

Eric smith and Coleman were 3rd and 6th rnd picks, I hardly think we should bash him for those guys not working out. I thought Kyle Wilson looked pretty promising at one point, not really sure what happened to him.

Cromartie? SD drafted him

I left it out cause it didn't happen.

If he's a CB guru...doesn't matter what round they're drafted in they should be solid players regardless. No one seems to be bashing the Seahawks for all their late round CBs...probably cause they have some of the best DBs in the league and outside of Earl Thomas they were all taken in the 4th round or later.

Back
Top Bottom