Draft Spotlight: CB Christopher Owens, San Jose State | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Spotlight: CB Christopher Owens, San Jose State

I fully believe that the Dolphins would like to find a bigger corner. Absolutely. Someone that maybe some people believe is a safety, but that they would play at CB. Basically, either Sean Smith, Jairus Byrd, Keenan Lewis or Sherrod Martin.

However, like Saban said once upon a time...you don't stock the fridge with just ketchup, even if you like ketchup. Then you reach for some mustard and find no mustard, just ketchup.

Christopher Owens would absolutely find a role on this team longer term. And so would Sean Smith.

I fully believe that the Dolphins would like to find a bigger corner. Absolutely. Someone that maybe some people believe is a safety, but that they would play at CB. Basically, either Sean Smith, Jairus Byrd, Keenan Lewis or Sherrod Martin.

However, like Saban said once upon a time...you don't stock the fridge with just ketchup, even if you like ketchup. Then you reach for some mustard and find no mustard, just ketchup.

Christopher Owens would absolutely find a role on this team longer term. And so would Sean Smith.

Or maybe Coye Franceis

CK we this organization already has a big corner in Jason Allen any chance the organization has hopes for him this season, when playing nickle last year he played pretty good and even the Pasqualoni it was a mistake of matching him up with Moss, because they simply wanted Will Allen to blitz.

But at what price CK? Do you spend a late 3rd or early 4th on a nickel or dime corner? If he was a 6th or 7th rounder..or better yet a free agent...I would feel the same way...but I don't see his value to the team using a earlier draft pick.

No...but the odds are they would like Sean Smith over a smaller corner.

What does that even mean, with respect to Owens? How is that useful to the discussion at hand? Sean Smith is rated higher than Chris Owens, I love Owens and I wouldn't deny that. I have Smith as one of my top 2 corners in the draft. That doesn't mean they wouldn't be interested in Owens at some point.

The one thing that will keep them looking at Owens is the fact that he's a tackle machine. His tackle totals at the college level project to almost 100 tackles a year at the pro level. That's Antoine Winfield-like tackling ability.

Would you want him covering Randy Moss or Terrell Owens in the red zone? No. But, he's a bottle of mustard, and guys like Sean Smith, Jairus Byrd, Keenan Lewis and Sherrod Martin are bottles of ketchup.

What does that even mean, with respect to Owens? How is that useful to the discussion at hand? Sean Smith is rated higher than Chris Owens, I love Owens and I wouldn't deny that. I have Smith as one of my top 2 corners in the draft. That doesn't mean they wouldn't be interested in Owens at some point.

The one thing that will keep them looking at Owens is the fact that he's a tackle machine. His tackle totals at the college level project to almost 100 tackles a year at the pro level. That's Antoine Winfield-like tackling ability.

Would you want him covering Randy Moss or Terrell Owens in the red zone? No. But, he's a bottle of mustard, and guys like Sean Smith, Jairus Byrd, Keenan Lewis and Sherrod Martin are bottles of ketchup.

How much do we have to spend for that bottle of Mustard?

But at what price CK? Do you spend a late 3rd or early 4th on a nickel or dime corner? If he was a 6th or 7th rounder..or better yet a free agent...I would feel the same way...but I don't see his value to the team using a earlier draft pick.

Any corner you take in the late 3rd or 4th is ALREADY an iffy projection to start at some point of his career. What makes Owens any different?

Is Sherrod Martin, who has been a safety in his career at Troy, any more likely to end up a starting cornerback than the All-WAC interception and tackling machine Chris Owens? Really?

Have to agree with CK I see this organization drafting atleast two corners. One possibly early a guy like Sean sMith or Butler and the second a guy similiar to Owens. BTW both Corner who have visited Miami are real good tacklers. Eric Green signed and Demarcus ***gins visited. Green is on the team and ***gins could sign.Green is an exceptional tackler and ***gins is a ST ace who can tackle as well. Will Allen is a good tackler as well and Jason who plays ST and Jones can also tackle well. So, to see Owens drafted by the Fins would make perfect sense cause they like corners who are good tacklers.

I have to agree with

the one thing i really like about owens ( in what ive seen in that video) is his ability to mirror receivers and his ability to play without a big cushion. he's a will allen 2.0 IMO, and he might struggle early in his career but if he uses his skill set the way allen can, he might be even better than allen in the long haul, simply based on the fact that this kid seems to be able to break on the ball and make plays, will has had problems doing so.

size matters, but in this blitz-happy defence, having "mosquito-like" corners who stick to their receivers is much more important, because they will not make the quarterback feel comfortable throwing to a covered WR, even if there's a mismatch in size. That's just what pass rush is asking for, 3-4 seconds for a sack, and hesitation from a quarterback helps greatly, trust me.

obviously, owens would have problems in the redzone, but no one is perfect !

Any corner you take in the late 3rd or 4th is ALREADY an iffy projection to start at some point of his career. What makes Owens any different?

Is Sherrod Martin, who has been a safety in his career at Troy, any more likely to end up a starting cornerback than the All-WAC interception and tackling machine Chris Owens? Really?

What makes him different? We need quality...not quanity. We have scrubs already...don't we?

How about selecting a quality corner...for a change.

I'll stick with the Parcells model...size, speed and agilty.

What makes him different? We need quality...not quanity. We have scrubs already...don't we?

How about selecting a quality corner...for a change.

I'll stick with the Parcells model...size, speed and agilty.

Quality means high draft picks. We only have 3 first day draft picks and already that's one more than most teams have.

You can ask for the world, you're not going to get it. And there's nothing in the Parcells model that guides that the Dolphins couldn't draft Chris Owens. You're just pretending that there is.

owns has somethign our CB lack...sense of awareness and the ability to read WRs and routes. name one CB on our team that can do that. thats why Owens has constant tackles and INTS. he reads adn reacts ala surtain/madison.

That's something that makes San Jose State such a good school to grab defensive backs out of. You notice that on the film. You absolutely notice that quick recognition of routes and the field awareness. Dwight Lowery absolutely had it a year ago. Chris Owens has it. Coye Francies has it. Their safeties, like Duke Ihenacho, they have it. I really like their secondary coach. As I brought up originally, he has coached the likes of CB Dwight Lowery, CB Brian Kelly, SS Kenoy Kennedy, CB David Barrett, FS Ken Hamlin, SS Caleb Miller, CB Jason Sehorn, SS Sammie Knight and CB Daylon McCutcheon at the college level. The guy is a good teacher, grooms his DBs well.

Quality means high draft picks. We only have 3 first day draft picks and already that's one more than most teams have.

You can ask for the world, you're not going to get it. And there's nothing in the Parcells model that guides that the Dolphins couldn't draft Chris Owens. You're just pretending that there is.

Well I guess since we only have three first day picks...that obviously means we shouldn't get any better than average players then...right? LOL.

The Dolphins already signed Eric Green...now it's very possible they also sign ***gins...if they do...just how many nickle or dime corners would we have already on the team? They already have 7 corners on the roster.

We have enough nickle and dime corners...we need quality. This kid Owens may become a decent corner...but I highly doubt he'll become a starting NFL corner...unless due to alot of injuries...of course.

And thats the simple truth.

Back
Top Bottom