** Draft Winds - Breaking Down Dolphins Rounds 5-7 ** | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

** Draft Winds - Breaking Down Dolphins Rounds 5-7 **

While it is not what I would like personally, being a guy who has been screaming at the Dolphins for years to draft a QB in the 1st round, I happen to think that Boomer's prediction on what the Dolphins will do regarding overall speed and field-stretching is dead-on in the first few rounds. While Henning is no longer employed, he intimated during several of his pressers that the Dolphins were doing the best with what they had talent-wise as far as deep throws and stretching the field. The lack of fear of a running game, coupled with a lack of fear of a deep passing game, could be blamed for some of the predictability of the Dolphins short-passing offense last year. Teams knew there was a chunk of about 20 yards they had to police to disrupt the Dolphins offense. On top of that, I keep hearing the term "weapons" used by Ireland in regards to the Dolphins offense, and it doesn't seem like a smokescreen to me that they intend to make wide changes to the offensive talent. While a QB at 15 would certainly help out, a trade down to gather picks and upgrade the speed positions and open up the field seems the most plausible. Toss in the fact that Daboll used field stretching to facilitate room for the New England short passing offense and it's almost a lock that one of the early picks goes towards a player with speed.

The biggest surprise will ultimately be the Dolphins NOT trading down.

Really like the Dion Lewis suggested pick. He seems too good to fall to round 6, but you guys are the experts.

round six ryan bartholemew center syracuse.34 reps and sub 5 40.

One thing you didn't really hear me talk about was me taking so-and-so because he adds returns ability.

Special teams are dead.

Or at least, they're dying.

That's just a fact. The NFL is trying to kill special teams and they'll soon succeed. Touchback percentages were already at an all time high for the last two seasons. They were at an all time high in 2009 and then 2010 pushed it to a new all time high. Teams were already getting better and better at booting the ball into the end zone, and now you're spotting those strong-legged kickers an extra 5 yards? Forget about it. I believe 50% of the league's kickoffs will be touchbacks, think the league has strongly underestimated the change in touchback percentage. They used bad assumptions and outdated historical data to predict what would happen. They will be wrong, and the teams with GOOD kick returners will probably suffer the most because no team will even bother trying to do anything other than boot the ball through the uprights.

And sadly enough, fair catches on punts are also at an all time high. Punt returns are being crowded out of the picture as well.

So I'm not about to look at all these return prospects and start using draft picks on them just so that the team facing us can boot the ball through the uprights and take our talented return man out of the picture. Aldrick Robinson is a bonafied deep threat, he hasn't really been much of a return guy yet...the Dolphins were just trying him out there. I could honestly care less now after the rule changes.

Yeah, the return factor will be comatose soon. Hard to understand why the League has taken this stance. I know that returns are often violent in nature, but it is an "extra" element to the game that can change the outcome quite quickly.

If it were up to me, I would have moved the kick back some so that teams are forced to return rather than have a high % of touchbacks. Putting the ball where they will, they might as well just eliminate the play altogether and spot it on the opposing 20yd. line.

While it is not what I would like personally, being a guy who has been screaming at the Dolphins for years to draft a QB in the 1st round, I happen to think that Boomer's prediction on what the Dolphins will do regarding overall speed and field-stretching is dead-on in the first few rounds. While Henning is no longer employed, he intimated during several of his pressers that the Dolphins were doing the best with what they had talent-wise as far as deep throws and stretching the field. The lack of fear of a running game, coupled with a lack of fear of a deep passing game, could be blamed for some of the predictability of the Dolphins short-passing offense last year. Teams knew there was a chunk of about 20 yards they had to police to disrupt the Dolphins offense. On top of that, I keep hearing the term "weapons" used by Ireland in regards to the Dolphins offense, and it doesn't seem like a smokescreen to me that they intend to make wide changes to the offensive talent. While a QB at 15 would certainly help out, a trade down to gather picks and upgrade the speed positions and open up the field seems the most plausible. Toss in the fact that Daboll used field stretching to facilitate room for the New England short passing offense and it's almost a lock that one of the early picks goes towards a player with speed.
The biggest surprise will ultimately be the Dolphins NOT trading down.

Kinda makes you wish we had our 2nd rounder doesn't it?

I like the Powell, Addison, Boren picks. Gatlin is an interesting one - I took the CB out of my latest mock but I can see why the FO might look for a late rounder (esp one with greater pick abilities than we have on the roster - does Gatlin have this?). Another late rounder I think would be good (DKPhin or someone else has him too) is FS/SS Chris Prosinski.

I have to confess I like both Devine and Tolzien! Devine's potential success hinges on whether he can add bulk. He's not a thin guy, so I suspect he can. I disagree that he lacks vision, but his stock will fall as STs become de-emphasised in the NFL.

One thing you didn't really hear me talk about was me taking so-and-so because he adds returns ability.

Special teams are dead.

Or at least, they're dying.

That's just a fact. The NFL is trying to kill special teams and they'll soon succeed. Touchback percentages were already at an all time high for the last two seasons. They were at an all time high in 2009 and then 2010 pushed it to a new all time high. Teams were already getting better and better at booting the ball into the end zone, and now you're spotting those strong-legged kickers an extra 5 yards? Forget about it. I believe 50% of the league's kickoffs will be touchbacks, think the league has strongly underestimated the change in touchback percentage. They used bad assumptions and outdated historical data to predict what would happen. They will be wrong, and the teams with GOOD kick returners will probably suffer the most because no team will even bother trying to do anything other than boot the ball through the uprights.

And sadly enough, fair catches on punts are also at an all time high. Punt returns are being crowded out of the picture as well.

So I'm not about to look at all these return prospects and start using draft picks on them just so that the team facing us can boot the ball through the uprights and take our talented return man out of the picture. Aldrick Robinson is a bonafied deep threat, he hasn't really been much of a return guy yet...the Dolphins were just trying him out there. I could honestly care less now after the rule changes.

I was talking with someone about D. Moore and T. Young, and the guy wasn't especially familiar with Moore anyway, but he kept asking if Moore had the return ability that Young does and how it's a gaping hole on our team. When I told him to discount the kick-return aspect, he looked at me like I was crazy.

Greg Cosell was recently tweeting about Aldrick Robinson:

SMU WR Robinson. Dynamic slot prospect. More explosive than Shipley a year ago. Deceptively quick in-and-of breaks. Lateral explosion. Hands

I was talking with someone about D. Moore and T. Young, and the guy wasn't especially familiar with Moore anyway, but he kept asking if Moore had the return ability that Young does and how it's a gaping hole on our team. When I told him to discount the kick-return aspect, he looked at me like I was crazy.

That's what we're down to with the rule changes. I'm not even considering it. Like, at all. As far as I'm concerned Lex Hilliard can do it. Doesn't matter anyway.

Yes to bradford, Robinson, Lewis, Addison and a few others. Nobody seemed to respond to the thread I started about Mario Addison a little over a week ago so It's nice to see that someone else is interested in him. I would be surprised if dion Lewis lasted that long, he's got too much talent

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Really like the Dion Lewis suggested pick. He seems too good to fall to round 6, but you guys are the experts.

Exactly. The guy is too good. His 40 wasn't as fast as a lot of people were expecting but it doesn't bother me at all

Back
Top Bottom