Drafting a QB... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drafting a QB...

Dolphins17-0

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
There was a lot of talk about how we should have tried to move up to draft a qb or take rivers or losman late in the first (before it was apparent rivers would be gone). Everyone kept shouting out numbers usually only supporting their argument. Just stumbled across this article and thought it was interesting.

"From 1984-2003, 263 quarterbacks were drafted in the standard draft. Fourteen, or 5 percent, have started in the Super Bowl; eight, or 3 percent, of those for the team that drafted them. Also, the average draft position of those quarterbacks is 76, meaning your average Super Bowl starter is a third rounder. (Note: Of the 14, only Chris Chandler was actually drafted at 76)."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=superbowlorbust&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

Dolphins17-0 said:
There was a lot of talk about how we should have tried to move up to draft a qb or take rivers or losman late in the first (before it was apparent rivers would be gone). Everyone kept shouting out numbers usually only supporting their argument. Just stumbled across this article and thought it was interesting.

"From 1984-2003, 263 quarterbacks were drafted in the standard draft. Fourteen, or 5 percent, have started in the Super Bowl; eight, or 3 percent, of those for the team that drafted them. Also, the average draft position of those quarterbacks is 76, meaning your average Super Bowl starter is a third rounder. (Note: Of the 14, only Chris Chandler was actually drafted at 76)."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=superbowlorbust&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

:hail: Thank you 17-0!! I've been looking for this exact article....
OK, enough trivia. It's fun to make the numbers say what you want, but the fact remains that first-round QBs are not a sure-fire bet for Super Bowl glory (and therefore fans shouldn't hail the end of the losing with Player X). Several e-mailers make the case:

Now, where's graythreat...I mean the guy named after that awful website...phinzone?....;)

I think drafting a QB when we already have 3 possible starters would be a waste of a good pick. If none of them do really well this season, I think we might want to consider drafting one next year.

The idea of drafting a qb is like taking your retirement money and buying lottery tickets. If you just waited and did the right thing you would get the result you wanted. There seems to be an increasing number of QBs available in FA and fewer and fewer that will stay with one team forever. If you do land the Payton-eske qb you need to give him 1/3 of you cap to keep him. Good luck surrounding him with talent then. I would rather get a good qb in FA, surround him with talent and take the safer yet more successful route.

dreadlockera said:
The idea of drafting a qb is like taking your retirement money and buying lottery tickets. If you just waited and did the right thing you would get the result you wanted. There seems to be an increasing number of QBs available in FA and fewer and fewer that will stay with one team forever. If you do land the Payton-eske qb you need to give him 1/3 of you cap to keep him. Good luck surrounding him with talent then. I would rather get a good qb in FA, surround him with talent and take the safer yet more successful route.
:beerbang: Agree wholeheartedly.

I think drafting a QB when we already have 3 possible starters would be a waste of a good pick. If none of them do really well this season, I think we might want to consider drafting one next year.

Yeah, Im startin' the David Greene bandwagon. Does anybody know why I cant post a freakin' pic of Greene here.It's sayin it must be only 100 pixels whatever that means.

finregime said:
Yeah, Im startin' the David Greene bandwagon. Does anybody know why I cant post a freakin' pic of Greene here.It's sayin it must be only 100 pixels whatever that means.
Are you trying to put it in your avatar?

I think there is something goofy going on with the sigs right now, there's a thread in the complaint forum about it....

100 pixels has to do with the actual size of the picture...I think 150 pixels is the size limit on avi's......right click on my avatar and then click properties....it will show you exactly what size the picture is....just make sure that your pic is that size....

If you need it, there is a free image resizer that you can download in that thread that I was just telling you about....

After reading the article it would be easy to arrange the stats to make it look even worse. It is quite interesting to look at it in that light. It would seem that the pressure of a young inexperienced QB coming in a carring a team to the SB is a bit over the top. I feel that AJ will feel some of that this year. Lets hope not.

I have our future star!!
The chicks dig him too!!

How do I post a picture with my sig? I cant find upload photo option?

Back
Top Bottom