Drafting offense or defense. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drafting offense or defense.

Marc790

Practice Squad
Reaction score
From a fan's perspective, would you be more excited if Miami went offense or defense in Saturday's draft?

Maybe I have foggy memories, but the only NFL draft-pick on defense I can remember whom everyone made a big deal out of when he was picked in round one was when the Browns took Courtney Brown. Other than that, fans don't really get excited about defensive players.

I still remember a few years ago when Miami spent the first round on Wisconsin corner Jamar Fletcher -- I didn't jump up and down for it. :(

Would you be disappointed if Saban went defense on Saturday?

I think that there are better defensive prospects in the early part of this years draft than there are offensive skill positions players. I can think of numerous players I'd be happy with on the defensive side of the ball with the 16th pick. But only Chad Jackson & Santonio Holmes come up on offense.

I was all gung-ho on getting a Cromartie or Greenway or Lawson at 16 but now I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to spend 1st rounder on Holmes or Jackson so we have another weapon to stretch the field and open things up for Ronnie Brown now that Ricky is done.Of course they both may be gone by 16 so we'll see. All I know is that we need another WR and the pickings are slim. But DBs, LBs and DTs are dee this year.

It'd be real hard to pass on a good defender though...

I can't wait 'til Saturday at about 3 something so we don't have to guess anymore. :confused:

I want a kicker in round one ...

Maybe a long snapper in round two.

Do we have a round two?

BassFin said:
I think that there are better defensive prospects in the early part of this years draft than there are offensive skill positions players. I can think of numerous players I'd be happy with on the defensive side of the ball with the 16th pick. But only Chad Jackson & Santonio Holmes come up on offense.

I was all gung-ho on getting a Cromartie or Greenway or Lawson at 16 but now I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to spend 1st rounder on Holmes or Jackson so we have another weapon to stretch the field and open things up for Ronnie Brown now that Ricky is done.Of course they both may be gone by 16 so we'll see. All I know is that we need another WR and the pickings are slim. But DBs, LBs and DTs are dee this year.

It'd be real hard to pass on a good defender though...

I can't wait 'til Saturday at about 3 something so we don't have to guess anymore. :confused:
I'm hoping we trade down, so bring extra nachos and beer. :D

The "VALUE" in this years draft is on the defensive side of the ball ... so barring a few exceptions [QB, WR] .... it will be defense, defense on day 1 ....

If Miami keeps #16, I want Santonio Holmes. I think Saban and Capers can do some wonders with the 3rd and 4th round choices if they're LB's or DB's.

But if we SOMEHOW get Javon Walker before Saturday, then it's ALL defense except maybe 7th round choices on a QB, RB, or OL.

Defense

I'd be very happy with a defensive stud in Round 1. Of course, I believe Saban with take the best player at that position. If he does decide to trade down, and if he gets a second rounder, I look for offense. Someone that can stretch the field, like an earlier poster mentioned.

Either way, I am pumped for Saturday! :dolphins:

If we stay at 16 it will be the best player available in one of the spots we might have a need (OLB, WR, DB, OL). I'm hoping we can work a deal out to get Walker and maybe get GB's 2nd round in return. Then we can get our OLB at that time and add a WR that needs no learning curve who can come right in and dominate with CC. But I doubt that happens as I see Denver with all the picks they have right now being able to offer more to GB than us. But it will be fun to watch all the drama this year. Nobody did much trading or moving last year, so I suspect this year's draft will be a little more active.

Back
Top Bottom