Drafting players on offense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drafting players on offense

phinfoot

Scout Team
Reaction score
let me first say that i am always an optimist when it comes to the dolphins.
that said, i don't want to go into the season with blinders on. i've been reading some threads about what the FO has been doing (and not doing). the glaring problem to me is that we haven't been able to make significant upgrades to the offense through the draft. it just seems like the FO has been missing in evaluating our offensive picks. i think it's too early to tell with some of the offensive linemen as they do need time to develope. but i will say that i'm disappointed vernon carey isn't starting, and that's thanks to the FO for giving up a 4th just to move up 1 spot. it seems as though we're constantly looking to upgrade through FA or a trade (which can be great), but you're not in the drivers seat in those situations and that can prove costly. i'm not saying we haven't found some gems, and those guys are obvious. it's not just this regime either, it dates as far back as JJ and we're paying for it to this day.

anyway, i'm still hoping our offense can get something going this year and prove all the "experts" wrong. go PHINS!!!

Too little to late is what i have to say about upgrading our offense. in another 2 or 3 years we will have to make some key defensive moves because our defense is getting old. Now we want to upgrade the offense? TOOOOOO late! we're gonna have to fix our defense in a few years too. Its a shame. We have one of the greatest defenses in the league. Our D hasnt changed much in the past 4 or 5 years too. Its a shame...

Iamlegend said:
Too little to late is what i have to say about upgrading our offense. in another 2 or 3 years we will have to make some key defensive moves because our defense is getting old. Now we want to upgrade the offense? TOOOOOO late! we're gonna have to fix our defense in a few years too. Its a shame. We have one of the greatest defenses in the league. Our D hasnt changed much in the past 4 or 5 years too. Its a shame...
Well...we have started to draft young guys on Defense...Pretty good ones too. SO i don't think it's gonna all have to happen at once..Little by little...But right now, it's the offense...And we really needed it to happen mostly all at once..And it didn't!! Sad what's going on.

I think you are over reaching a bit. Starting on offense next weekend will be OLT Wade Smith, OC Seth McKinney, ORG Tyrone Whitely, TE Randy McMichael, and WR Chris Chambers, all picks from the last three drafts. Five starters out of 11. It is too early but perhaps Vernon Carey and Rex Hadnut will join that group.

Is this great? No but its not a disaster either. Now if the OLine is pourous after a few weeks you can come back and say "I told you so!"

phinfoot said:
let me first say that i am always an optimist when it comes to the dolphins.
that said, i don't want to go into the season with blinders on. i've been reading some threads about what the FO has been doing (and not doing). the glaring problem to me is that we haven't been able to make significant upgrades to the offense through the draft. it just seems like the FO has been missing in evaluating our offensive picks. i think it's too early to tell with some of the offensive linemen as they do need time to develope. but i will say that i'm disappointed vernon carey isn't starting, and that's thanks to the FO for giving up a 4th just to move up 1 spot. it seems as though we're constantly looking to upgrade through FA or a trade (which can be great), but you're not in the drivers seat in those situations and that can prove costly. i'm not saying we haven't found some gems, and those guys are obvious. it's not just this regime either, it dates as far back as JJ and we're paying for it to this day.

anyway, i'm still hoping our offense can get something going this year and prove all the "experts" wrong. go PHINS!!!
I'm with you 100%!! Also...you say we're still paying for what JJ's regime had left us? Oh boy...How bad of a position are we gonna be before Dave and Rick have finally gotten the boot? How deep of a hole? I hope Wayne wises up quickly and makes a major move at a major coach!! and GM!!

the glaring problem to me is that we haven't been able to make significant upgrades to the offense through the draft. it just seems like the FO has been missing in evaluating our offensive picks.

I think you're screwing up the timeline here. At the draft, we had this:

RB: RW
WR: Chambers, Boston
TE: R-mac, Lee

At the draft, we needed o-line and defence, and RS took care of that. If we boston and RW had been gone, i'm sure the draft picture would have looked differently.

JJ had some excellent drafts. We need him to draft our players every year. lol.

Wade Smith and Seth McKinney... As of right now i can say i told you so already because their nothing special... as a matter of fact they suck. I only hope they prove me wrong with experience.

Ohiophinphan said:
I think you are over reaching a bit. Starting on offense next weekend will be OLT Wade Smith, OC Seth McKinney, ORG Tyrone Whitely, TE Randy McMichael, and WR Chris Chambers, all picks from the last three drafts. Five starters out of 11. It is too early but perhaps Vernon Carey and Rex Hadnut will join that group.

Is this great? No but its not a disaster either. Now if the OLine is pourous after a few weeks you can come back and say "I told you so!"
the fact someone is starting doesn't make them a good pick. i'm not saying they won't be, but i'm not sold on those you mentioned. they did nothing to sell me on them yet. i mean, it seams to me whitley more or less won the job because of default. as for wade smith, it looks like he'll lose his starting job to mcintosh soon (another FA). i thought wade did an exeptional job most of the time last year as a rookie, but just like carey this year we gave up an extra pick to get him.

touborg said:
I think you're screwing up the timeline here. At the draft, we had this:

RB: RW
WR: Chambers, Boston
TE: R-mac, Lee

At the draft, we needed o-line and defence, and RS took care of that. If we boston and RW had been gone, i'm sure the draft picture would have looked differently.
where's the depth? it took what happened to show the lack of. obviously they were royally screwed by ricky and hurt with some injuries, but when one guy went down at receiver we looked really bad there.

Back
Top Bottom