Drafting players who have dropped through injury?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by normaniii, Apr 21, 2014.

1. normaniii

normaniii A True Fan

With Marcus Lattimore expected to make an impact for San Fran this year, it made me think, with the small chance that players from round 4 on, make any impact year 1, why not draft players who have dropped though injury and 'redshirt' them for one year?

Players such as James Hurst, EJ Gaines, Brent Urban, Anthony Steen, Joe Don Duncan, DeAndre Coleman, Antone Exum, Yawin Smallwood, Brandon Thomas, Aaron Colvin and Marion Grice, please feel free to mention others I missed.

What do you think?

2. ONole1

ONole1 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Ronald Powell could be a steal if he can come back from the two knee injuries. The guy was the top HS recruit and started looking like a beast in 2011, then blew his knee in the sring, came back too early and blew it again in the fall.

3. cullenbigcstill

cullenbigcstill FinHeaven VIP

We drafted 4 injured guys last year and had the most underperforming class of rookies.

I'm all for using a later pick on an injured guy a la DE Adawake Ogunleye from Indiana and sits out a year and then becomes a beast, but last year almost all the guys were hurt. Please bring in healthy and durable starters early take chances later. We need starters and depth across the board!

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Adawale

4. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I'd be looking at Thomas, Coleman, Gaines, Colvin, and Exum in the later rounds.

5. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Easley comes to mind.

6. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

Ireland had a strange fascination for drafting injured players last year. This is OK to do for an occasional player, but the top 4 last year was frankly irresponsible. I'm also sure that Hickey has received feedback from many, to not consider this Ireland Draft strategy.

7. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

Easley, Brandon Thomas, Spencer Long.

8. Buff

Buff From a galaxy far far away.... Finheaven VIP Donator

This. We need our draft picks to make an influence straight away. All too often Miami have drafted players with an injury red flag, and as a result, we screw ourselves. Hopefully hickey has a better idea on drafting players than what Ireland did.

9. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe Well-Known Member

Teams with good depth can afford to take a flyer on injured players and wait to see if they develop. Teams, like the Dolphins, that need contributors from the draft cannot afford to take that chance until the 6th or 7th round. We saw first hand how Jamar Taylor's, Will Davis', and Dallas Thomas' injuries negatively affected our depth chart.

On a similar topic, I wouldn't take a flyer on a player with character issues until the 7th round or as an UFA.

10. FSU Truth

FSU Truth inside my DNA Finheaven VIP

I would draft Thomas late....love his skill set and believe he could be a starter in the NFL...

11. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

I do not think Easley makes it out of the 2nd.

12. gdiaz0358

gdiaz0358 Rookie

Brandon Thomas would be the first player I look at. We can sign a stopgap vet, and hope this kid comes back soon. Easley and Powell are 2 players who when healthy can be pro bowl talent.

13. futurescout

futurescout Well-Known Member

I would take a look at Colvin, Thomas, and Hurst, but no earlier than 5th-6th round

14. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

It doesn't have to be injury. I like it when top players slip solely due to altered opinion, like Lee and Van Noy this year.

If you're going to rely on bounce back from a major injury, make sure the player was extra special beforehand. Those types can overcome it and still have plenty left, like Frank Gore. If you allow too much benefit of doubt to an average or above average player coming off an injury, you deserve to be burned and most likely will be.

Easley is going to be picked higher than expected. At the Canes/Gators game last September, fans from both sides were raving about him in the stands.

15. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

Zurlon Tipton is a guy that people are sleeping on because of an injury which took away most of his final season at Central Michigan. Averaged 6 yards per carry with 1500 rushing yards and 19 TDs in 2012 but only played 6 games in 2013 and none of those games were played truly healthy and explosive like he was in 2012. He only started to get a full load in the final 3 games of the season when he ran 65 times for 380 yards and 7 TDs...but he didn't have the same explosiveness after breaking his ankle in early September. He played those 3 games approximately 10 weeks after breaking that ankle.

I know people will be down on Tipton for his measurables but Arian Foster had near identical measurables to Tipton when he came out of Tennessee. You don't have to be fast at that position when you're big and powerful and explosive.

Here's what he looked like about 10-12 weeks after the ankle surgery. You'll notice he looks big and maybe a bit soft around the middle. That's not coincidental. You break your ankle, you're going to have a tough time staying in shape. And he came back from the broken ankle so quick he didn't have time to get back into shape before he came back. The ankle should've ended his season but he ran for 7 TDs in those last 3 games anyway.

[video=youtube;B6d_UIhl6Ho]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6d_UIhl6Ho[/video]

16. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

It all depends on the injury they're recovering from.

Most breaks, hamstring injuries, Achilles tears (rather than ruptures), The milder PCL/MCL/ACL tears, triceps tears, some dislocations, turf toe... Stuff like that players,can make a full recovery from and not expect the recovered area to always be susceptible, or indeed ever again in most cases.

Groins, hernias, spinal injuries, shoulder dislocations, repeat concussions, multi-ligament tears of the knee, big ankle ligament tears, degenerative knee cartilage,..... That stuff there is no way of knowing you will ever fully recover from.

I'm not a doctor but I know that all injuries are not created equal and so all player slides in the draft aren't equal. James Hurst strikes me as a good value example. Easley is an incredible prospect, but a second rounder on him couldn't be described as a value pick with the attached risk. The prospect of having a healthy Easley is kinda tantalising though.

Jared Abbrederis is a terrific receiver, but if the multiple concussion stories are true, it could be like throwing a pick out the window.

17. FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard FearTheBurke

Based on everything I've heard Hurst should be ready for training camp, he might drop because he hasn't been able to work out for teams but in the 4th round he'd be a steal. Same goes for Brandon Thomas, though he'll have to be redshirted.

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

We saw this with Ryan Swope last year..

18. Dolphin Dave

Dolphin Dave Scout Team

I think a lot of fans would be gun shy of that strategy given last years top four picks were injured and provided very little first year production. Ireland obviously got a little carried away. However, this season, all those guys are healthy and should be ready contribute. This year given the right player and depending on the injury, I would do it.

19. RichmondWeb

RichmondWeb Greetings from Portlandia Finheaven VIP

With only 7 picks, I would hesitate to roll the dice too much. I want to trade down, get more picks, and then we can start rolling on some red flag high-upside talent, for sure.

What can we get for #50?

RW

20. JakeMcAwful

JakeMcAwful Irish Dolphan

CB Dexter McDougle, Maryland and OG Spencer Long, Nebraska.. Those two would make a great end to the draft in my opinion.

I'm curious to see how far Brandon Thomas falls after the ACL tear. I still think someone takes him in the fourth/early fifth and redshirts him gladly. Great talent.

21. CO-Gator

CO-Gator They all float down here.

Easley was almost unblockable before he went down. He would have been a high 1st-rounder if he had stayed healthy.