Dwyane Wade an Olympian? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dwyane Wade an Olympian?

I don't think this is good at all. Wade is a good player but come on. It sucks that so many players who should be going to Athens won't for various reasons. Players of Wade's caliber should not be playing on the Olympic team. He is good but at this point I don't think he is good enough.

iceblizzard69 said:
I don't think this is good at all. Wade is a good player but come on. It sucks that so many players who should be going to Athens won't for various reasons. Players of Wade's caliber should not be playing on the Olympic team. He is good but at this point I don't think he is good enough.
Hes only better than 99 percent of the PGs that will be playing in the olympics for other teams. The only one that I could think of that is better is Tony Parker and I think Wade is better than Nash

iceblizzard69 said:

I agree. I'm a huge Heat fan, I got my Wade jersey and think he'll be a great player someday, but he should not be considered for the U.S national team for the Olympics. If he's considered for the team then it's probably for some wrong reasons that it happened. Some of our best players such as Garnett and Shaq will not be on the team because they have the attitude that playing for your country on the international level is "meaningless". Unfortunately, the 4 big sports in the United States don't require much participation at the international level from our professional atheletes in those sports because they are not true global sports. However, basketball is the only one of our big sports that is starting to become a true global sport. So it's difficult for American professional basketball players to understand why it's important to compete for your country when throughout history most of American sports involved only American teams or players. Hence, MLB and NFL using the term "World Champions" for their final champions, despite all teams being American.

Secondly, our best players don't want to compete in the international level in recent times because a lot of them don't want to be "that team" that didn't win the gold medal at the Olympics ever since sending our professionals. It already happened in the 2002 Basketball World Championships when USA lost to Argentina and Yugoslavia and finished 5th place despite playing with the likes of Ben Wallace, Paul Pierce, McGrady, Michael Finley, Reggie Miller, Tim Duncan. All the players were so embarassed and admitted that the rest of the World was catching up to us in basketball and it was only a matter of time before they'll beat us consistently. But it will NOT be because they have better teams or atheletes.. but because our best American players don't practice together regularly on the same team nor respect the national duty just as important as their club duty.

I don't know what their problem is. If it's terrorism/security, do they really think that they are that big of world idols that someone would try and kill just them? It's sick when you demand millions of dollars and then won't show respect to your country when they honor your talent by asking you to represent them in the biggest sporting event in the world. You don't see this from Yao Ming, or anyone else from other places. And if they're worried about being on "The Team" that doesn't win the gold, is that all they play for? What's wrong with winning silver or bronze, or coming in 4th place? I've learned a lot of things from marching band. One of those things is that it doesn't matter where you finish, as long as you feel you did your best. I've learned that one of the best feelings in the world is going out, working hard, and coming in 3rd place in your division of 6+.
I think it's great that Wade could be chosen to play for the U.S. If Garnett, and O'Neal and Iverson don't want to play, let the people that really want to go out and win for their nation and bring home gold, or silver, or bronze, or even just the respect of their countrymen have the chance to do it.

t2thejz said:
Hes only better than 99 percent of the PGs that will be playing in the olympics for other teams. The only one that I could think of that is better is Tony Parker and I think Wade is better than Nash

It doesn't matter if he is better then other players in the tournament. My point is that there are a lot of American players better then Wade and there should not be a situation where Wade calls up because of the amount of better American players.

iceblizzard69 said:

Then you don't watch too much basketball, my friend. Just because he's a rookie, he isn't good enough? Watch the damn kid play and evaluate him from there. Dwyane Wade is an all-around player and WILL be a superstar. Did anybody b*tch when LeBron was selected? No, because he's already one of the more 'popular' players.

Btw- on the Best Damn Sports Show tonight, they said Wade will be asked to join the team tomorrow. He said he'll take a few days to talk it over with his family.

iceblizzard69 said:
It doesn't matter if he is better then other players in the tournament. My point is that there are a lot of American players better then Wade and there should not be a situation where Wade calls up because of the amount of better American players.

I forgot, he's a Knicks fan. :shakeno:

I'm sorry...but it's stupid to think Wade isn't atleast near the level as Mike Bibby, who dropped out.

iceblizzard69 said:
He is good but at this point I don't think he is good enough.
Did you even watch game 6 of the Eastern Conference Semi-Finals? Or for that matter, any Heat game? When Wade wasn't on the floor, the Heat played terribly. He came in as a rookie and became a team leader. So much of one that when he wasn't on the floor, the team played lousy.

The US team should have the best 12 or 15 (whatever the amount of players that they bring) American players. Is Wade one of the best 15 players in this country? No. Is he even one of the top 25 or 30? No. Wade is definitely a good player, but you are being a complete homer if you think he should be representing America in this tournament. America has a lot of other players who should be going instead. It's a shame that a lot of players get called up and then decide not to go.

iceblizzard69 said:
It's a shame that a lot of players get called up and then decide not to go.
Yes it is a shame. But like I said in my first post in this thread, if they don't want to play, then the people that do want to represent their country should have a chance to play. It's not about "We have the NBA so that makes us the best country, therefore we better win the gold". It's about competing against other countries around the world, and if you lose, you lose. You shake the other teams hand, and you try again next time. Yes the other countries will have their best players out there, and the U.S. obviously won't, but they still have some great players going. The U.S. can easily blow out any team if they had the starting lineup of: PG: Jason Kidd, SG: Allen Iverson, SF: Kevin Garnett*, PF: Tim Duncan, C: Shaquille O'Neal. But the truth is those players are stubborn punks who won't go because they don't want to leave their offseason relaxation. The truth is, when you have players with that type of attitude, then yes, Dwane Wade is one of the best players in the country.

*Kevin Garnett at SF because he is among the best 5 in the United States, along with those other 4. My thinking is, they would be unstopable with those 3 big men at forward and center.

iceblizzard69 said:
The US team should have the best 12 or 15 (whatever the amount of players that they bring) American players. Is Wade one of the best 15 players in this country? No. Is he even one of the top 25 or 30? No. Wade is definitely a good player, but you are being a complete homer if you think he should be representing America in this tournament. America has a lot of other players who should be going instead. It's a shame that a lot of players get called up and then decide not to go.

Uhh, did I say he was one of the top 12 or 15 players? No. I'm not being a homer, you're just putting words into my mouth. After all the players who dropped out, sure D.W. should be the next in line. Nobody invited him with the top 12-15. I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Btw- I can honestly say I've probably missed about 5 regular season games(which we probably all on Friday or Saturday nights), as I'm a true Heat fan. I have watched this kid develop and he isn't going to be a stud, he is a stud. If Dwyane Wade doesn't prove to be a GREAT player in 2004-2005, I won't post here until the 2005-2006 NBA season. I'd make a deal like that any day of the week.

And sorry, there isn't 25-30 players in the league who I would take over Dwyane Wade. :shakeno:

Dwyane Wade is ready.

The reason why I said that it isn't good that Wade is going to the Olympics is because we should be sending our top guys there. In other countries, getting called up to the national team is considered to be an honor. If a guy gets called up, they play. In the USA, players think they are doing a service to someone by playing. Many don't consider it an honor, and that is sad. We could do worse then calling up Wade, but it should have never come to a point where we would call him up.

Back
Top Bottom