Egnew Ballin Per Roto Source: Miami Herald

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Heinegrabber, May 21, 2013.

1. Heinegrabber

Heinegrabber Since 84 Finheaven VIP Donator

Michael Egnew - TE - Dolphins

Dolphins TE Michael Egnew was running with the starters in Tuesday's OTAs session.

Egnew was even briefly running ahead of Dustin Keller. Coach Joe Philbin said Egnew earned the reps "after a strong offseason." It's a good start for the 2012 third-rounder, but he still has lots of ground to make up coming off a lost rookie season. He's not a threat to Keller's No. 1 status.

2. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

That would be great news if Egnew can emerge.

3. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

He is despised here.... But he still has potential.

Plenty of good players have had awful rookie years. Maybe Egnew is a bust, a solid vet or an all pro... Its still too early to say, this season will say a lot though.

If he is a bust lets hope we somehow get finley... Who despite a crap rookie year is my favourite TE (see what I did there? Lol)

4. CRAZYDOLFAN305

CRAZYDOLFAN305 We Are Still Going To The SB

Hes a bust. Cant be..

5. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Well-Known Member

Glad to hear he is finally learning to compete. I guess Pop Warner, high school and college ball didn't provide him the opportunity to do so.

6. Heinegrabber

Heinegrabber Since 84 Finheaven VIP Donator

Coach thought it was April 1st!!!! Good one JP he has a real sense of humor.

7. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

People have the lowest of expectations for Egnew, so if he turns it around this year, some might consider it bonus.

He was a major disappointment last season, absolutely no denying that. He has a lot of ground to make up, but I never write a guy off after just one season. Soliai was considered a bust after his first three NFL seasons, now he is one of the better DTs in the league.

8. Slim

Slim VIPeezy

Evan Silva trolling dolphins fans?

9. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

Egnew is soft. I do not see it. Would love to be really wrong though.

10. uk_dolfan

Is he? Why? Did you see this in a game? Which one? Or did you hear it from an anonomous source in a media article?

Egnew deserves plenty of criticism, this "soft" crap is BS until you can highlight examples from his preseason game tape.

11. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

This will be GREAT news if it stays true. I know it is just in shirts and shorts but he really needs to have a good start to start believing in himself. I went back lastnight and was watching some of his 2010 season. He looked like a different player when Gabbert was his QB. He actually was a pretty good blocker that year as well. Then in 2011 he was just terrible at everything, and that is the player we got last year. But his play in 2010 was pretty solid. He was their go to guy in the clutch, he played with confidence and they even had him blocking at the POA in crucial situations at times. He was really aggressive and blocked guys well after the play was past him. Then the next year all of that was gone.

Some players never have to work, they are just that much better than those around them. Then they get to a higher level and everyone is as good as they are and they have to learn how to get more out of their talents. It is a completely different world for them to have to fight for being the best rather than just walking on the field. Some decide to give up and just figure there are better things in the world to try. That is what I thought I saw on Hard Knocks, he looked like he just gave up. Some time between then and now he has decided he will give it a go. Only time will tell if he can turn it on and become a player. But at least now he has a shot. The NFL is 90% mental, he had to get his mind right before he could even find out if he might have what it takes.

Lets hope he gets off to an early start and he will get his confidence going, and we may end up with a player after all. He made me sick last year, but now I can't help but pull for him. He is a fin after all. I wish him all the best.

12. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Smoking Hole at the Hard Rock Moderator Finheaven VIP

Sounds like philbin is trying to boost his confidence by getting some 1st reps. The next three months are going to be critical for egnew's career in miami.

13. ITS!MATEO

ITS!MATEO A True Fan

He is soft when it comes to blocking, that's for sure. We all saw it on hardknocks.. But 2 full offseasons learning how to block hopefully should have him showing something this year.

14. fin-atic

fin-atic Are you a VIP? Finheaven VIP Donator

This cracks me up. The guy has never seen any real playing action yet so many fans have such strong opinions about him. Right now it is OTAs and it means nothing.

15. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

Here's hoping he does something...Don't have high hopes though...

16. DUB

DUB Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

He is soft. However, I think most continue to underestimate how the game and specifically the TE position is changing. This is not a two TE power football league anymore. How can some be so down on Egnew yet rejoice a Keller signing? Are their skillsets not similar? My point is the guy may have value in today's NFL. We will have our answer soon enough.

17. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

Egnew will make roster. Clay may be in Trouble.

18. malzacher

malzacher Scout Team

clay needs to stay healthy..im sure he learned the playbook

19. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

I've been saying this for months now. Egnew is the #1 dark horse on this team. We've been missing a dynamic player at the TE for a long time. If he can get the mental part down, he will extraordinary. His physical tools are fantastic evidenced by his combine numbers which were the best in his class. Maybe he's the reason why Ireland never traded back into the 1st round for Eiffert. Everyone knows the Dolphins need a dynamic TE especially in this offense. Dion Sims also intrigues me.

Now, if just one of those young guys can emerge at WR also (Binns, Fuller, Matthews), we could really have something here we haven't had in a very long time. A dynamic offense.

20. circumstances

circumstances Starter

omg, he was drafted in the third round and didn't see the field last year!! how can he ever amount to anything?!? how??

21. OyeDale305

OyeDale305 MIA#1

Egnew is a beast!

22. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

Maybe Eggnuts will nut up????

23. Sambo188

Sambo188 Active Member

Yeah I agree with you. Clay may be in trouble. I think Clay should move to full-back.

24. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

Egnew was a non factor. He really didn't blow like Jonathan Martin did. Both guys need to step up this year.
    Having Keller and an emerging Egnew would be great targets for RT.

25. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP

Just imagine if both Egnew and Dion Sims turn out to be above-average TEs. We'd have our blocking and our receiving TE for the next 5 years at least. Like Fasano and Martin in 2008, just a whole lot better. How awesome would that be?!

26. DannyBoy13

DannyBoy13 Scout Team

A lot of players look great in OTAs but are completely different when it's full contact. I'll get excited if I see him do well in the preseason, but until then, he hasn't proven anything.

27. 72 silky

72 silky Well-Known Member

I remember that combo, it was beautiful to watch. Too bad Martin got hurt because they were
    Looking real good. We can only hope egnew turns into a legit starting TE.

28. Hayden Fox

1. Did you watch Hard Knocks? The kid was scared.
    2. Did you see the criticism leveled at him by Incognito and Sherman during Knocks?
    3. Did you forget this article? http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2013/01/growing-consensus-egnew-wont-make-it.html
    4. That Egnew could not be active last year the majority of the time demonstrates not only a lack of knowledge of the position, but also the ability to "bang heads" inside.

29. hoops

hoops exited stage left

yeah he's "ballin" alright...ha ha

wait for full contact in full pads...

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2013
  30. uk_dolfan

So thats a no then?

31. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

I wouldn't say he was a non factor. He was just an undersized LT playing against grown men. They say he put on muscle this year so he should be just fine.

---------- Post added at 07:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 AM ----------

Egnew, BULLY! :lol:

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhn3tn7e1bh123mtf4

32. flynryan15

flynryan15 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I can see it now Egghead will be this years Brandon London on Finheaven! Any moment now a YouTube video shot during practice of a no pads drill designed to give the route runner a advantage will pop up on here. Egghead will abuse players destin to check my receipt at Sams Club and the Finheaven masses will drool over the video claiming Egghead the best TE in the AFC East!

33. DDTDON

DDTDON Seasoned Veteran

I wouldn't write anyone off in the first season. I think he needed a push in the right direction. I hope he takes advantage and really pushes himself to be a player in this league.

34. FinaticalOne

FinaticalOne DieHard FinFan 4 Life

Interesting debate about Egnew. From everything I can recall over the past year about him, the consensus on him is he's soft, that he's weak, can't block, and seemed to be timid on the field. I have to track down the article, but the "soft" label came from his own lockerroom. Yes, none of the fans have seen any evidence of this because he hasn't been on the field enough. But If his teammates are saying this about him, than why should fans think differently.

On a positive note, coach Philbin still gives him a vote of confidence, and I hope he can prove his detractors (including me) wrong because our team would benefit from it. But until then, I'll wait for the pads come on and see how he performs, because that's when he's going to have to take his game to another level.

35. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Smoking Hole at the Hard Rock Moderator Finheaven VIP

Egnew video last year about hard knocks.
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/videogallery/71834396/Sports/Michael-Egnew-reacts-to-Hard-Knocks

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/e...w-didnt-love-their-appearances-on-hard-knocks

36. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I've had a wait-and-see approach to Egnew since he started struggling. Both drafts have been about getting superior athletes who need development. Both drafts put a lot of faith in the coaching staff. I'm cautiously optimistic about Egnew.

37. josekareh

josekareh Finfansince75

Ginn is soft!!! I haven't seen Egnew yet... have you???

38. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I've put up a couple of threads, and a number of posts defending Egnew. I did so because I saw many being really down on the guy for little reason.

I have absolutely no idea if he will make the team this year, become a Pro Bowler or, a second TE. No one does. I just wanted to see Phans/Fans give the kid a chance. It seems that many are now doing so, and what's wrong with that?

His play, in this off season, will dictate his play this year. Sounds fair to me, and I hope he does well.

39. gdiaz0358

gdiaz0358 Rookie

If he pans out, we can have our own version of Gronk/AHern. Not that neither of our guys are that good, but similar body/play styles between Egnew/Keller. Plus we also have Clay and Sims

40. Hayden Fox

Have you seen him to state that he is not soft?

Ted Ginn actually played as a rookie and scored. Let's not compare the two.