Egnew Ballin Per Roto Source: Miami Herald | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Egnew Ballin Per Roto Source: Miami Herald

This is just another example of why I really like Philbin as our head coach. He knows Egnew is having confidence issues because of a laclister rookie year and how he was portrayed to the public on Hard Knocks, so he addresses it by trying to help build his confidence, in order to get the most of him as a player. Even if he ends up being a failure, Philbin is giving him an opportunity to succeed and not just writing him off.

I think you might be a little off base with this. I don't think this is about building Egnew's confidence or doing anything undeserved.

I think if you got Joe Philbin in a room without cameras or recorders and asked him to name a few players that stand out to him as far as what they've been doing in the off season to try and improve themselves, two of the first names that would come to his head would be Will Yeatman and Michael Egnew. A third could be Jon Martin who by all reports looks like he's gained a solid amount of muscle. All three players were rewarded with elevations during this OTA. Jon Martin is now the starting left tackle. Joe Philbin moved Will Yeatman to guard and declared that he's competing for a starting spot on the line. And finally, he bumped Egnew up to 1st string.

It doesn't necessarily mean any of them will turn out great. This is like a year ago when Sean Smith was doing all the right things during the off season and he impressed the staff a whole lot while simultaneously Vontae Davis was not impressing them with his lack of focus. Several players and coaches singled out Smith as a guy who made big strides as a player and a professional last off season, and the coaches rewarded him for it by making him their lead corner. I believe Legedu Naanee probably impressed them this way as well.

In retrospect, although interesting, entertaining, if not compelling, from a fan POV, IMO Hard KNocks did not serve the club well at all - perpetuating stereotypes especially of Philbin, painting negative pics, espec of Egnew and making mountains out of routine business molehills, ala Vontae and especially Ocho Stinko. The team would have been better served training in the stealth mode even if it meant no exposure to 7-11 or the lineman the jest signed and then injured with no medical coverage.

I don't think Hard Knocks helped the football team at all. I think that MAYBE Philbin found a way to use it to his advantage a little bit by putting pressure on players who weren't getting it done, and trying to get them to push stories about those guys needing to step up.

But I 100% believe that Hard Knocks was demanded by Steve Ross for the sole purpose of trying to generate some interest in a football team that was rapidly becoming completely irrelevant even in its own market. And I think he was 100% right to do so. Hard Knocks might not have been a shot in the arm, but at least it kept a few fluttering eyelids from closing completely.

I'm firmly in the camp that the guy's going to bust and probably get cut this year, but I'd at least like to see him in the preseason before I go off about how he's the worst player to even put on a uniform. I'm not sure if that makes me an Egnew blind faith homer or something, but hey, what can I say? I like to be controversial.

I wanted to cut Soliai after his second year because he did not seem to care about getting better. I was thinking the same of Jerry when he came in as the Michelin Man for the same reason. Then there were guys like Smith, who put on 10 pounds of muscle after his rookie year, and Martin doing the same at the farm.

None of the above means anything on players making the team but, it does to me, and Egnew is trying.

Doing MMA training was an acknowledgment of the criticism that Michael Egnew is soft. That had to be hard to accept. Most people would just disregard it and claim people don't know what they're talking about.

Then again you can also make a case that only a softie would go ahead and accept criticism that he's soft, lol.

It's fairly obvious why they drafted Egnew. Receiving skills first, everything else is secondary. He has a big enough frame to get bigger and stronger to improve his blocking, this is his year to show out. Can't teach ball skills.

Doing MMA training was an acknowledgment of the criticism that Michael Egnew is soft. That had to be hard to accept. Most people would just disregard it and claim people don't know what they're talking about.

Then again you can also make a case that only a softie would go ahead and accept criticism that he's soft, lol.

Being able to take criticism and make strides to address that criticism is a very hard thing for athletes to do. Most blame others for all reasons know to God. So I impressed with his approach to the offseason. He is at least giving a have no regrets shot at becoming successful. Hopefully it pays off for him because he seems to realize he needs to earn everything he gets.

This is so off base as a comparison.

Any support for Egnew comes strictly in response to the overwhelming amount of negativity hurled at him for spurious reasons. The fact that you would interpret these "Maybe Michael Egnew isn't the worst football player in the history of the game" posts as akin to people being about to proclaim him the best TE in the AFC East says more about your point of view than it does the people you're talking about.

I would counter that most of the overwhelming negativity as you put it is nothing more then simple sarcasm responding to the grasping at straws people come up with to defend Egghead.(next time I will use the sarcasm icon so you get it). Just look at the thread title "Egnew Ballon". It is day 1 of OTAs in a no pads drill and now Egnew is ballin? I would hope he looks good in that scenerio or he is even worse then most of us think! Wake me when they put on pads! After all one of Egnews biggest negatives is he is soft. Like most I don't throw away "most" players because their rookie year, but every so often one comes a long that is just a turd circling the bowl. So far he has shown to be lazy, weak(both mentally and physically) and, has a I don't care attitude. Egnew is on this roster only because of where he was drafted, that gives him a second chance.

A few people give him support because he gets trashed, but most support him because they cant accept the Dolphins get some things wrong. I hope Egnew proves me and many others wrong, but from what evidence he has shown odds are he doesn't.

Glad to hear he is finally learning to compete. I guess Pop Warner, high school and college ball didn't provide him the opportunity to do so.
That's high praise coming from someone like you! Being that the tight end position is one of the most complex to grasp coming from college to pros, but I'm sure you being the ultimate armchair GM you already know that.

Walk a mile in someone's shoes before you are so quick to judge

I would counter that most of the overwhelming negativity as you put it is nothing more then simple sarcasm responding to the grasping at straws people come up with to defend Egghead.(next time I will use the sarcasm icon so you get it). Just look at the thread title "Egnew Ballon". It is day 1 of OTAs in a no pads drill and now Egnew is ballin? I would hope he looks good in that scenerio or he is even worse then most of us think! Wake me when they put on pads! After all one of Egnews biggest negatives is he is soft. Like most I don't throw away "most" players because their rookie year, but every so often one comes a long that is just a turd circling the bowl. So far he has shown to be lazy, weak(both mentally and physically) and, has a I don't care attitude. Egnew is on this roster only because of where he was drafted, that gives him a second chance.

A few people give him support because he gets trashed, but most support him because they cant accept the Dolphins get some things wrong. I hope Egnew proves me and many others wrong, but from what evidence he has shown odds are he doesn't.

That's obviously your point of view but I don't see it as being accurate at all.

Let me give you some examples of why I think that's an INACCURATE representation of what's been going on. These are literally the last two threads that were made specifically about Michael Egnew, prior to this one.

This thread that starts off with an original post bashing Egnew, and just continues right in with more and more Egnew bashing.
http://www.finheaven.com/forums/sho...s-learning-how-to-compete-smh&highlight=Egnew

Here's another thread that starts off with some simple question about what we really think of Egnew.
http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?339520-Michael-Egnew&highlight=Egnew

Just read the comments. It's pretty clear that it's a totally inaccurate representation when you say that Egnew bashing is done primarily in direct response to people who "grasp at straws" to defend him. In fact that very characterization itself illustrates the point.

the dude made a few catches in otas last year also...but of course it was once the pads came on in camp excuses out the nose from so many on this board...and they still keep on coming...the guy did nothing to earn a spot on the 53 last year except get drafted in the 3rd round...omg he's taking mma...his hands are gonna be lethal weapons...ha ha...that's not gonna help his only plays at one speed and lacks burst and soft play in pads...i don't care what cage he gets into...

the honeymoons over...they'll cut this kid and some people here will talk about how he never got a fair shake or was asked to be something he's not while he was here...

it never fails...come to camp at 250 plus and go ahead and tell the turk to have him on speed dial...ha ha

and big damn deal he got a few reps with the 1's the first day or any day in otas...the #1 te last year is no longer here we are breaking in a rookie in dion sims and a free agent in keller that is learning the offense right now...and clay has just recently been cleared for full go work...

it means squat at this stage...

Let me give you some examples of why I think that's an INACCURATE representation of what's been going on. These are literally the last two threads that were made specifically about Michael Egnew, prior to this one.

This thread that starts off with an original post bashing Egnew, and just continues right in with more and more Egnew bashing.
http://www.finheaven.com/forums/sho...s-learning-how-to-compete-smh&highlight=Egnew

Here's another thread that starts off with some simple question about what we really think of Egnew.
http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?339520-Michael-Egnew&highlight=Egnew

Just read the comments. It's pretty clear that it's a totally inaccurate representation when you say that Egnew bashing is done primarily in direct response to people who "grasp at straws" to defend him. In fact that very characterization itself illustrates the point.

And there are just as many threads discussing hypotheticals on how Egnew will break out or how we can try and use him to his strengths. I am even pretty sure there is a thread declaring Egnew a Philbin pick. Not going to bother looking it up to quote though I am on my phone. I won't use sarcasm anymore how's that? IMO Wgnew is a bad football player! He lacks professionalism, he doesn't prepare, he doesn't learn his playbook, schemes, offense etc. He is weak, he is soft, he plays scared to the point that after being chewed out by his position coach for missing blocks he attempted to redeem himself by seeking out the smallest guy on defense and blowing him up away from the ball carrier with a chicken **** blindside hit! Obviously he wasn't going to hit a Lb or De because the very next play he would have had to be head to head with them. I don't see the limited points shown on Hard Knocks as editing for good TV, I think it was a microcosm of how bad of a player and professional Egnew is and that is why as a 3rd pick he couldn't even find a spot on ST he spent the year inactive until his position was riddled with injuries. The negatives reported of Wgnew stink of a player that skated by on ability and god given talent putting forth little effort and it has finally caught up with him.

Wrong. I support Egnew because he is a member of the Miami Dolphins and I want everyone of them to do well. Him being a Dolphin is also the reason I don't bash him. He is one of ours. Why would I do that? You sound as if you don't want Egnew to play well. He is mentally weak. Not lazy. His weakness may come off as lazy and to the young eye, it's hard to know the difference but, I haven't seen laziness, I saw complete confusion and unawareness. He is attempting to do something he has never done before- make a pro team-, it just may take him longer thAn others.

Back
Top Bottom